"Well, We Were Born to Die..."

we should've known...

Weeks passed with no significant changes. I got used to the prince's absence in the corridors as I walked to the library and to dinner every day. I never knew where he was. I supposed off somewhere with Alexandria. Perhaps they were off walking by the lake. I sometimes saw them from the window in the library that looks out onto the water. Sometimes, I would pretend it was me he was walking with. I never told that to anyone. not even Elton. Even he didn't know the full extent of my love-sickness for the prince.

Days later, the wedding date was announced and the bride's mother was on her way to castle to help with the preparations. I knew it was coming... the wedding, that is. Even still, I was slightly shocked to hear the announcement. I never had a chance with the prince, not ever. I must have had some tiny bit of hope still leftover in my heart that I forgot to get rid of, because hearing about the wedding hurt a lot. I cried myself to sleep that night.

The next day, around noon, Alexandria's mother arrived. I didn't see too much of her, but from what I did, she seemed like a very cranky old woman. She was terrifying. I stayed away from her.

Two days before the wedding, I was walking to down to the library as I usually did. It was late in the evening; maybe eight o'clock. As I strolled through the corridors, I noticed someone talking. I slowed down and realized that there were actually two people. I searched for the source of the sounds, and found myself in front of a door about twenty feet away from the door ton the library. I listened closely. I recognized the voices to belong to Alexandria and who I assumed was her mother, although it was hard to tell.
"...Well it's not like you love him, " squeaked the old woman. "You had better not be having second thoughts about this. Do you know haw much trouble I went through to stage that bear attack? Do you?!" I gasped audibly. They were silent in the room. I panicked. I guessed they dismissed the noise I had made for nothing, because their conversation continued. I held my hand over my mouth just in case.
"Yes, mother. I know. I'm not having second thoughts. I want the crown just as much as you do. I'm just concerned that the prince will eventually catch on to our plan. He may be delusional, but he's not stupid, " replied the bride-to-be.
"Oh don't even worry about that. He's infatuated with you. That's his weakness. Even if he did find out, he wouldn't do anything about it. He's senseless, that boy, " the crackling voice responded. "Now get to bed. You need your beauty rest." I heard shuffling in the room, and I quickly fled to the library.

I was in a daze. I could hardly believe what I had just heard. She didn't love him at all. Deep down, there was a tiny part in that was relieved to heard this. I barely noticed, for I was overwhelmed with a frenzied panic. Alexandria and her mother had plotted this entire thing! Right down to the bear attack! I wasn't selfish enough not to feel sorry for the prince. He loved her so much, and she was just using him. She and her mother only wanted the crown. I had to do something. I had to tell the prince. I knew he would never believe me though. But still, I couldn't just sit around. I would tell Elton. I was sure he would help me think of something.