Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

The godfather

I counted down the minutes until Julia was ready. That girl takes forever to get ready, these were our parents we were going to have dinner with. Parents who wouldn’t care what she looked like because they loved her. My parents wouldn’t mind either but she insisted that you never know who’ll be there.

“Julia you are aware of the people who show up at that restaurant?”

“Yes Adriana but you never know they might have told their friends about it. That’s if they’ve found new friends to tell them about it,” she replied walking out of the bathroom.

I rolled my eyes, “you’re hopeless you know that.”

“Yes and you still love me,” she said smirking.

“Only because you’re family, now come on let’s go we’re already five minutes late,” I replied grabbing my coat. Just as I was going to open up the door three knocks were heard on the other side.

I looked at Julia who just tilted her head to the side and ushered me to open it. When I did Vito Corleone stood in front of me. I was surprised to see my godfather standing there since it’s been almost a year since I talked to him. I ushered him in along with Tom Hagen and a couple of his men.

“What brings you two here on this fine evening?” I asked politely.

Tom put an arm around my shoulder as he took me over to the couch where we both sat down. I was placed between him and Vito while Julia sat across from us in a chair. Vito left out a heavy sigh looking for the right words to say.

“Your parents all four of them are dead. It was a tragic accident and I don’t want either one of you to go out looking for trouble or revenge,” he mourned looking at both of us.

“How?” Was all that Julia could manage to say before letting out a sob. Vito stood so she could hug him.

Tom spoke, “there was a hit by the Barzini’s, we talked to Emilio he said he sends his regards. He meant no harm to them it turns there was a snitch there this evening and that’s who they were getting rid of.”

I sat there in shock, the mafia had done this. Something my godfather and our parents tried to keep us away from so we’d be safe. I couldn’t believe something that they tried to keep us away from showed up at our front doorstep. I hung my head in my hands as Tom leaned me into him. Vito let Julia sit back down and stood over us as we sat there getting ready to say a speech.

“Now just so I can keep an eye on the both of you I want you both to come and live in houses on my property. As your godfather it would make you parent’s feel safer if you were with me,” he finished on a sombre note. The both of us looked at him and nodded a yes, he smiled. “Good now you will start packing tonight and we’ll have a truck here when you two are ready in the meantime there will be two men positioned outside your door just in case.”

With that both Tom and Vito gave us each a hug. I sighed and got some boxes I saved and started packing, as did Julia. We had most of our things packed when we decided to go to bed. Bed was where I cried myself to sleep, trying to remember the last time I cried. Thinking about it made me slip into a dream world remembering everything.

Adriana stood in front of her godfather’s oldest son Sonny; she was almost in tears. He was teasing her, something he’d like doing once in a while, something most 19-year males had grown out of. The 13 year old in front of him had a different kind of affect on him though one that caused him to be her burden one to make her cry. Sonny was about to read a page out of her diary until his youngest brother tackled him from behind.

Sonny dropped the diary as he fell to the ground, Adriana ran and grabbed then ran off to find Connie or Fredo the middle brother and only girl of the Corleone siblings. Stopping for a moment to see Sonny the older stronger brother throw Michael off of him. Sonny looked at her and crossed his arms while she wiped off the few tears that did slip from her eyes. That was the last time Adriana ever really cried, hanging out with them more toughened her up and made her more of a tomboy with a temper to match Sonny’s.