Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

Leaving loved ones behind

The day my godfather had come home was forever away now and 1948 came quicker than I thought it would. As much as I had missed Michael I couldn’t help but push him in the back of my mind. Sonny had kept me busy in more ways then one since we rekindled our affair. I managed to look after the children when everyone was busy it helped me bring in money.

Sitting out in the front yard I yawned and stood up and stretched. I looked at the watch and noticed how late in the afternoon it was getting. Putting the bookmark in my book I heard footsteps coming towards me along with a car. I looked up to see Sonny with a broad smirk on his face.

“You think I could go get a drink before I go see what my sister wants?” He asked.

Connie was now pregnant, I had no idea how Carlo felt about that but it seems he wasn’t happy with her. She’d call me and tell me he hit her and then promise me I wouldn’t get angry or tell Sonny. It’s hard to do but I promised her, Julia on the other hand moved out with her boyfriend leaving the place to myself.

I lead Sonny inside and into the living room. I got a glass full of water, which wouldn’t get empty until later. As soon as I sat the glass on the table in front of Sonny he grabbed me and hauled me down with him. After a few moments of bliss Sonny kissed me one last time and got off of me. He grabbed the glass of water and downed it then took it into the kitchen and placed it into the sink.

I fixed my hair and followed him to the door. He turned around and smiled at me giving me a hug before walking down towards the car. I heard him say ‘save that on for the library’ before getting in the car. I waited until the car was gone before I went to the bathroom and cleaned myself up. About half an hour later I received a phone call, I sighed then got up off of the couch.

“Hello,” I spoke.

“Adriana this is Julia I wish you could’ve seen it,” Julia responded enthusiastically.

“What?” I asked her slightly confused.

“I heard this sound outside of my apartment window so my boyfriend and I went to check it out. As soon as we got to the window we saw Sonny kick Carlo in the stomach and walk off to his car. It was amazing.”

I let out a sigh, “I imagine it was,” I replied sounding interested. After hanging up I sighed again, I don’t know how many times I told him to not do anything stupid. I guess our tempers can be so predictable and unpredictable at the same time. The phone rang again and I knew it would most likely be Connie.

“Hello,” the voice on the other end said, it was Connie she sounded miles away.

“Hi Connie,” I replied in a comforting tone.

“He found out Adriana, he’s brought me to moms. I’m afraid he’ll kill him or worse get killed,” she cried.

“Connie you know I won’t let that happen I’ll talk to him ok,” I comforted her.

“Please do that for me it would make me happy,” she rejoiced.

“Go home and get some rest Connie you and the baby need it,” I responded before hanging up.

Just then an angry Sonny barged in, he seen me by the phone and rushed over to me. He pushed me up against the wall anger in his eyes. I let out a little whimper and he let some of the strain off of me.

“How long have you known?” He asked.

“Long enough,” I choked out.

“And you didn’t tell me!” He exclaimed pushing me closer to the wall.

“As much as I’ve never liked him Sonny I promised her; you don’t have a clue how angry this made me. You don’t have a clue how it made me feel not to do anything,” I spat my temper rising to match his, “I hate that twat you called a friend from the moment I met him but no one would listen to me.”

He let his grip on me go and slammed his fist down on the table, his breathing starting to slow.

“I knew you’d act like this Sonny, I hate when you get angry,” I spoke a little softer, both of us calming down.

He walked over and hugged me, “I’m sorry Adriana, and it’s just...when I get angry I don’t think straight.”

“I know Sonny I am used to it I guess,” I responded sitting down in a chair he then sat down across from me. I looked into his eyes almost melting at the sight of them, what I wouldn’t give to be Sandra.

“Ma’s got supper almost finished you coming over,” he asked.

“I wouldn’t miss her cooking for the world.”
The next day I decided to go over and visit Carmella and help her around her house since there was a lot of button men around. The phone rang around noon and by the looks of Carmella’s face it was Connie. I balled my hand up into a fist, I knew he had done it again. This time didn’t feel right though so I ran outside and stood in front of Sonny’s car.

One of the bodyguards came over to me but stopped seeing the angry look on my face. I knew this had to be a set up for what Sonny did. There was no was I was going to let him go and get himself killed. Five minutes later Sonny walked out anger stricken all over his face.

“Santino Corleone you will not be leaving this property,” I bellowed.

He went to push me, I wouldn’t budge, “come on Adriana I’m in a hurry to kill that bastard.”

“No you will not, you will be sending to button men to retrieve her Sonny,” he saw the death glare I gave him and let out an angry sigh.

“You know what fine you win, you two go,” he said pointing to the two bodyguards that were going to come to me earlier.

Sonny looked at me after the car pulled out of the mall anger still in his eyes. He was about to say something when Tom appeared, he then turned and went back inside. I let out a sigh when Tom walked over to me.

“It was for the best,” I said.

“You’re right Adriana you might have just saved his life,” Tom replied.

That night we found out it was a set up, this caused Sonny to apologize to me about fifty times. The Don awoke and came out to hear the news, he was thankful for once that I had my famous temper. They shooed me out of the room to discuss where Sonny would go into hiding at. I listened outside the door to hear he’d be going to California.

I smiled at least I knew he’d be safe. I heard my godfather tell Tom to call all of the Don’s so there could be a meeting. I walked down the hall and stood by the stairs pretending to wait for Tom and Sonny. Sonny came out and stood beside me, I let out a yawn followed by him.

“I’ll take you home,” he said and that was that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I totally changed the concept of the book / movie here. Sonny was supposed to die but since he's my favourite character and this is my story I made him live. I made him go into hiding to at least go along with the book / movies events.