Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

Alls well that ends well

Months had passed since Michael had taken over for his father; I couldn’t believe how big our boy was at three years old. One thing our boy loved was reading the funny papers; his face always lit up at the little comics. Today I had left him and his sister with his grandmother who had been nagging me to let her have a day with them. I had finally given in; Michael was there as well talking business with Tom and the others. I was happy to have a day all to myself.

It was late afternoon when I decided to bring the clothes in off the line. It being a warm summer day I was sweating by the end of it. I knew it was worth it since the clothes would smell so good. Half way through putting them away the phone rang; I stopped and wondered to myself who would be calling. When I picked up the phone all I could here was hysterics on the other end of the line.

“Connie calm down, what’s the matter?” I asked

“Papa,” was all she could muster before crying again. I heard someone else grab the phone from her.

“Adriana,” Mike said, “pop was in the backyard playing with Anthony and had a heart attack, he didn’t make it.”

“Seriously Michael?” I sadly said my heart dropping.

“Yes honey, I’ll be right over with you all right.”

“All right,” I then heard a click of him hanging up and hung up myself, I slid to the floor in disbelief. I didn’t want to believe Mike but I knew it had to be true, not much got Connie upset. At that moment I hung my head and done what I hadn’t done in months and that was cry.

The funeral was a week later; the heads of the five families as well as others attended. I had noticed friends, family and others that my godfather had helped over the many years of his life at the funeral. Along with them was the FBI who stayed out of the cemetery to see who had shown up. I sat by Mike who in turn sat by Tom; it was quiet until I heard Mike talk lowly to Tom.

“Pop said someone would approach me today and try to make me make peace.”

“You won't go will you?” Asked Tom.

“Of course not,” mike replied, “it would be foolish, I couldn’t risk that for my family, Adriana would be devastated. Plus I know if anyone would stop me it would be her.”

I put a tiny smirk on my face as I hid behind my hair. Once everyone was there and settled it started. Mike’s arm rested around my shoulder the entire time and when it ended I cried into his.

A few weeks later Michael became godfather of Connie's newborn child. The next morning I couldn’t believe the headlines on the newspapers. The heads of the rest of New York's families were murdered. When I had asked Michael about it he said he didn’t want to talk about it. Over the next few days the mall seemed to be getting emptier as the things in both mine and the Corleone’s houses were disappearing off to Vegas. I decided to go over and say good bye to Mike before I got on the plane for Vegas since he was staying for a couple of days in New York to finish things off.

A car passed with Carlo, Clamenza and Rocco. I smiled and waved knowing Carlo was going to get what was coming to him for trying to set up Sonny. Once at the Corleone house I walked to the Don’s office to see a hysterical Connie getting hauled out. Mike came out and gave me a hug and a kiss before walking back in. Two men stood beside him one kissed his ring and called him godfather. The doors shut before me as I awaited my prince.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end