House of Jealous Lovers

Joy Ride

Friday nights definitely had to be one of my favorite work nights of the week because they were jam packed with young bohemians looking to party, looking to hook up for the night, and looking for a way to enjoy their boring regular weeks that passed by faster than speeding light. The thing about working at a bar was that I ended up meeting amazing people that were just looking to cut loose and have a good time, just like I did most of the time. It wasn't much of a stretch to be loud and out of control. If I hadn't have been working in this bar, I was sure to be partying just like everyone else.

The Three Wisemen was one of the hottest bars in West Hollywood catering to the young, upscale, and chic as well as a majority of the gay and lesbian community. We played the best dance music, hosted live bands and served up the best mixed drinks out of the other bars on our block at great prices. I had been working here for about five years and there never was a dull moment involved. There wasn't much to the job so when my friend approached me in high school about working for him; I was inclined to tell him yes.

Felix Cameron was my boss and good friend. We met back in my high school days, Felix teaching me the tricks of the trade when it came to bartending. He made sure that I knew everything there was to making good drinks because when it came to LA, they had to be perfect. When I turned eighteen, I got my bartending license and was hired to work for Felix as one of his best bartenders. We were famous for getting along so well at work; many of our co-workers thinking that we were dating for some reason. We were kindred spirits in the sense that we were the rebels of the typical L.A. crowd.

Tonight's crowd was nothing but the typical L.A. scene. Anything that was in fashion right now could be seen at this bar. LA was well known for having the extreme fashionistas and there was definitely no exception to Three Wisemen when it came to all the latest trends being spotted around the dance floor.

A week had passed since the Avenged boys had come home and I was at work cleaning up the mess left by the typical Friday night crowd. It was past 3AM and I wanted to get out of the bar and head home so I could get some sleep. The one thing I disliked about this job was cleaning up the disgusting messes left by all the drunks in this town. They always left beer bottles scattered amongst the tables, pairs of underwear stuffed in the bathrooms from the couples looking to score quickies as well as puddles of vomit every once in a while left in the stalls from the people who couldn't hold their liquor. It was truly sickening.

As we cleaned the mess left from the typical mess left behind in the bar, I kept thinking about how I wound up working at all hours of the night while trying to get myself through school. I didn't mind that things were so hectic in my life right now. I was trying to finish up with school so I could graduate with a degree in English, hopefully a degree I would be able to use somewhere. I didn't want to be a bartender all my life, though it was an excellent job that paid me well. I wanted to experience life too, explore my passions with writing.

As I finished cleaning up the bar for the night, I thought about the last twenty-three years of my life and I wondered if it was worth it. I wondered if everything I endured was even worth it for the long haul. Normally I wasn't much of a concentrated thinker about the future but I guess now, it was finally sinking in that things weren't decided for sure for me.

After forty-five minutes of cleaning, we were finally heading out for the evening, walking out the front of the bar to the main street.

Felix looked like a hot mess, his curly black fro completely sticking out of places that it shouldn't. His pretty golden eyes were bloodshot, like he was tired and he desperately needed to shave the stubble off his face. He liked his stylish hobo look he sported but I thought that he would do so much better if he let me dress and groom him.

"Jeez, are you even tired girl?" he asked me as I rocked back and forth on the balls of my feet impatiently.

"Nope. I got a second burst of energy! I'm just waiting for Jimmy to pick me up," I smiled.

"Ahh, so your friends are back in town then?" he asked.

"Yep. They just got home from tour a week ago."

"How're things with your buddy Zacky?" he asked, suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.

"Ugh, please don't mention that," I groaned.

"Going that well, huh?"

"Felix, you just don't understand what he puts me through."

"I don't get why you're waiting around for this dumbass. You need to put yourself out there and maybe when he realizes that you're starting to move on and that you're not waiting for him, he'll open his eyes and see that he's been wasting his time with all the other girls and finally sweep you off your feet."

"You and your silly romantic notions," I laughed, shaking my head.

"Well, it could be true. I'm sure he's just taking advantage of this situation now cuz there's no need for a commitment. Seriously London, you're too young to be settling down and wasting away over one guy. You need to get out there and explore your options."

"Why do you always feel the need to meddle in my love life?" I asked.

"Because I have known you and Zachary for a very long time and know how miserable he makes you. I just want you to be happy with someone the way I'm happy with Sheila," he said sincerely.

"You and Sheila tended to have your long history of chasing each other before finally settling down."

"I know and that's why I'm trying to convince you that there's more to love than the chase, especially when the person you chase may not even hold the same interests," he said. "Trust your elders on this one London. I'm just looking out for your fragile heart."

"Gee, thanks Dad," I said sarcastically.

He just hugged me, squeezing my body tightly as I struggled in his grip.

"So, where's your friend Jimmy anyway?" he asked, looking around the florescent streets of the Sunset Strip.

"He should be here any minute. I told him I was done," I shrugged.

As if on cue, Jimmy pulled up across the street in his black Mercedes. I smiled at him, grateful that he was in the area and offered to drive me to and from work today. He said that he was going to be in LA working on some things so instead of wasting gas, he said he would be more than grateful to give me a ride. I was happy since I didn't want to spend money to fill my tank just yet.

"See? Right on time," I smiled, gesturing to the car. "I'll see you later, ok?"

"Later London," Felix said with a hug before getting into his own car.

I carefully dodged the little traffic that was occupying the streets and made it safely to Jimmy's car, getting into the passenger side.

Jimmy looked completely different when he was spending time at home in Huntington as opposed to when he was on tour with the rest of the band. His black choppy hair was covered by a black beanie and he had glasses hiding his blue eyes and no eye makeup on. It was definitely a different person in the car with me now. He was acting like Jimmy Sullivan, my friend from high school, not The Rev of a multi-platinum, world renowned rock band.

"Hey Scarecrow," I smiled. "It was like you were listening into my conversation with Felix. You got here just when I said you would."

"Must be my spidey senses kicking into gear," he grinned, pulling away from the curb and into traffic. "So, how was work tonight?"

"Kick ass as usual. I got hit on by a bunch of drunken lesbians who were really hot so that's something you can definitely appreciate," I giggled.

"Of course," he winked at me. "The thought of you and a bunch of drunken lesbians is completely hot."

"And then later on, some poor drunken fool thought he was able to play grab ass with me so when he found out that I'm a 'look but don't touch' kinda girl, he was extremely apologetic," I grinned wickedly.

"What'd you do to the poor fucker?"

"I hopped the bar and grabbed his crotch; threatening to get rid of his baby-making equipment if he dared grabbed mine or any of the other women's asses again in the bar."

I heard Jimmy's breath hitch in pain as I described what I did to the customer.

"You women are so cruel," he said, shaking his head.

"Why? Because I threaten to chop off guys' dicks for touching me?"

"Precisely."

"Well, what would you have done if you were there and saw that happening to me?"

"I would've beaten the shit out of that guy," he said coldly.

I laughed. All the boys were very protective of the girls, especially me. Most of them saw me as a little sister and did their best to protect me from drunken jerks when we went out to bars and whatnot. Jimmy was the worst. In high school, I remember he got suspended for beating the crap out of some jerk-off from the football team for sexually harassing me. That jock wound up in the hospital and out for football season with a broken arm. Jimmy was completely vicious when he wanted to be, which had its drawbacks sometimes.

"That would only keep him from touching me but knowing his kind, that guy would probably just do it again to some other girl in the future. At least this way, he's reminded that a woman actually fought back and will hurt him if necessary."

"You just wanna be a badass," Jimmy laughed.

"Wanna be? Pfft. I am a badass," I stated cockily.

"In your dreams sweets," he said rolling his eyes.

"Don't be jealous because you're not as cool as me."

"Yeah, sure," he said dismissively. "Whatever you say London."

I didn't even have to look at him to know that he was rolling his eyes at me. It was so Jimmy.

"So, what'd you have to do in LA today anyway?" I asked, messing with his stereo.

"Open up the glove box and see for yourself," he said, nodding his head towards the glove box.

I opened up the glove box and found a small black box inside along with the different papers and empty cigarette packages that were thrown in there. I grabbed the box and held it in the palm of my hand, looking at Jimmy curiously before opening it.

Inside the box, there was huge diamond with a white gold band. The diamond itself had to at least be eighteen karats, which was more than enough for anyone. It was completely gorgeous, causing me to gasp a little as I looked back and forth between the ring and Jimmy. I couldn't believe what I was holding in my hand. I was too shocked to even comprehend anything he was saying to me. I shook my head and looked at him, seeing a small satisfied smile on his face.

"What the fuck is this?" I asked sounding astonished.

"It's what we call a ring London. You know, that pretty little stone on top is called a diamond," he said as if I were mentally handicapped.

"Pfft, little stone? That thing is fucking huge!" I said in disbelief, staring intently at the ring in the box. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Yep. It's exactly what you're thinking," he replied.

"Oh yay! It's a diamond ring especially for me for being a badass! Thanks Jim," I said sarcastically. "Though I probably would've been preferred on a set of diamond encrusted brass knuckles instead, you know, in case I have to start kicking ass and taking names."

"Whoa, slow your roll Chuck Norris," he said.

"Well diamond brass knuckles would be more practical as a gift for a badass than a ring," I grinned.

"I wouldn't take you for a fan of diamonds," he laughed. "If I remember correctly, you're a fan of sapphires rather than diamonds."

"How do you remember shit like that?" I asked, shocked by his memory of a conversation from years ago.

"Just a great memory when it comes to unimportant, random shit," he shrugged.

"So seriously, you're thinking of taking the plunge with Morgan then?"

"Yeah. I've got it all worked out. Tomorrow night, I'm taking her out to dinner and asking her the big question and I'm so fucking nervous about it."

"Why?"

"It's a big step and you know. I'm just trying to show her I'm committed to her. I love her, you know. I just wanna do right by her," he said quickly. "Do you think that's the right kind of ring for her?"

"Ha, you're asking me? The girl who never wears jewelry aside from my nose and tongue jewelry?" I asked sounding completely surprised. "Val would probably be better suited for that task. Hell, even Danni! They're more girly then I could ever be!"

"But I want your opinion," he whined.

"Well, I think she'd definitely like it. She seems like the kind of girl that likes a lot of bling," I smiled.

"God I'm just a fucking anxious wreck right now. I'm so nervous about this."

"There's no need to be nervous. She's the one you want and I'm glad you're moving forward with her. If she's what makes you happy then you should go for it," I smiled, closing the box. "You know, balls to the walls style."

"That means a lot to me London. I know you and Morgan don't exactly get along and everything but I'm glad that I've got your support with this," he smiled.

"It's not about me Jim-Jim. It's about you and her. If she's the one that you wanna spend the rest of your life with then I'm happy for you. You deserve someone that loves you like that," I smiled, putting the box back into the glove compartment. "I'm glad you found some love in your life Jimmy. We all know you need it the most and any girl that can tolerate your erratic behavior must be a fucking Godsend," I joked.

"Ah, fuck you Pikachu," he laughed.

"You wish you could," I smirked. "So, do you have your proposal all ready to go now or are you planning to wing it?" I asked.

"I'm kinda gonna wing it, you know? Make it more sincere and genuine that way," he said as I nodded.

"Aww, my little Jimmy's growing up so fast," I gushed teasingly.

"Hey, just you wait until this happens to you one day," he laughed.

"Oh yeah. When I need to go buy my engagement ring for someone, I'll be sure to call you up and make you go with me to pick it out," I smiled.

"So, how're things with you and Zacky going?" he asked.

"What things?" I questioned honestly.

"So I take it that we're still in the denial phase of this friendship you've got," he said, rolling his eyes.

"There's nothing to admit. You already know how I feel about him but Zacky's too much of a player and would rather be out fucking gorgeous girls than be tied down to me," I shrugged.

"Zacky's an idiot for not seeing that you're the perfect girl for him," he told me.

"That may be the case but it still hurts a lot to know that I'll just be his best friend," I said.

"Well, fuck him then. I love him but he's just thinking with his dick and that's not getting him anywhere."

"Except its getting him laid."

"And that's upsetting you."

"But I'm not his number one priority. I've known this for years. It's something I accept. I'm just the best friend to him. I'm not gonna have a relationship like you've got with Morgan or like Matt and Val have. At least not with Zacky anyway. I've come to terms with that. It's fine. I just need to get over it and move on," I shrugged.

Jimmy didn't say anything. He just stopped at the red light at one of the cross streets to my neighborhood and gave me a quick hug I desperately needed. I could always count on Jimmy to be there when I needed him. He always wanted me to be happy, though I had to pretend most days just to make him happy. I just wanted this pain to disappear and I wanted my heart to forget Zacky. I wanted to move on from this infatuation.

Jimmy continued driving for the next five minutes, nothing but the radio's low hum filling the air. It was a comfortable silence, something that Jimmy and I often enjoyed on drives like this. I was thankful for the lack of conversation about my feelings. I didn't want to mention it anymore.

He pulled up in front of my small house. It was a cute house that we got for a really good price. It was a white one-story with three bedrooms and two bathrooms priced at a cheap rent. It was perfect for the two of us, since we were still working through school and whatnot. I loved this little house. It reminded me so much of the house I grew up in.

"Thanks for the ride Jimmy. I'm glad we got to talk," I smiled.

"Anytime Shortcake. You know that," he winked.

I grabbed my bag and dug around for my keys, finding them and looping one of the key rings through my index finger. I went to open the door when Jimmy's voice halted me.

"London?" he questioned.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning around to face him once again.

"Could you not mention the proposal thing to anyone else? I just don't want everyone else to know about it yet, you know," he mumbled a little uncomfortably.

It always made the boys awkward to ask someone else for favors, especially Jimmy. He was completely headstrong and didn't like handouts. He'd always been that way, which is what landed him in a laundry mat for a few months of high school until I forced him to stay with me. He'd rather give favors than ask for one of his own.

"Sure Jim. Whatever you want," I nodded.

"Thanks," he smiled.

I loved Jimmy's smile. It had to be one of my favorite things about him. Usually the boys always tried to look tough and mean but when I would catch them looking like huge softies, it made me melt inside and Jimmy was definitely a huge softie when he spent time with me. I think it made him a lot more attractive this way rather than looking as if he wanted to kill someone.

"Are you telling me that I know something that Gates doesn't know first?" I asked, realizing he didn't want me spreading this around.

Normally, anything that Jimmy held as a secret both Brian and I knew because we were closest to Jimmy. Brian and Jimmy had been best friends since forever and I was just a nosy person who would wheedle things out of people in the sneakiest ways. I was Fort Knox when I actually found stuff out but I was the kind of girl that always liked knowing things. It was a rare occasion when Jimmy told me something that he hadn't told Brian first.

"It's not the first time," he chuckled.

"But that means this is huge!" I laughed. "But fear not! I shall keep your secret safe from the evil world until you're ready to shout it to the heavens."

"You're so weird," he said, shaking his head.

"But you love me," I smiled.

"That's the truth. Now go inside and get some sleep already! It's almost four in the morning," he laughed.

"Text me when you get home so I know you got home safely," I said.

"Of course," he smiled, rolling his eyes.

"Goodnight Scarecrow," I said getting out of the car.

"Night Pikachu," he grinned.

I shut the car door behind me and strolled up the driveway to the door. I unlocked the door and looked behind me, seeing Jimmy's car still in place. I waved at him as he drove off down the street to get to his own house.

I locked the front door and wandered down the hallway to my room, desperately wanting to get some sleep. I dug my phone out of my bag and tossed my bag onto the desk near my door. I flipped the light on and wandered over to the nightstand, plugging in my Sidekick before disappearing into the bathroom to remove the makeup I had on and brush my teeth.

As I was brushing my teeth, I took off my pants and tossed them into a corner of the room where my dirty laundry had been collecting. I looked at the gradually growing pile of clothing and decided that I needed to get some laundry done soon. I reached under my shirt and unclasped my bra, removing it from underneath my shirt and tossing it aside as well.

I rinsed out my mouth and walked to my closet, finding a random pair of pajama shorts and slipping them on me. I heard the intro to MSI's 'Animal' blaring loudly from my phone, signaling a new text message. I turned off my light and flopped onto my bed lazily. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and flipped it open to read the new text from Jimmy.

"Home safely. Sleeping now. Love much. Fuck you. =]" his text read.

I chuckled quietly to myself before typing my reply.

"Fuck you harder with a ten foot pole. Love you too. XOXO."

I shut my phone and put it back onto the nightstand before settling into my bed and falling straight into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who's left comments. I really appreciate them. =]

Maybe there will be another update tonight... who knows.