Your Not Alone; I'm Here With You

Chapter 10

When we got back everyone was waiting on us. They smothered us in hugs as soon as we made it in the door. In an odd way I felt like I was part of something, like this strange group of people was now my loving family. I sighed I missing my real family and Diana.
“Hey, you alright?” Brian was looking at me with concern, his head tilted at a slight angle. My thoughts traveled back to when Chase said Brian loved to kill the demons. It just didn’t seem to fit with the personality he has.
“Yeah, just thinking.” I replied with a smile, noticing everyone else had moved into the dining room.
“About what?” He pressed and I frowned.
“Nothing really, it’s stupid.” This time he was the one to frown and when he did his hazel eyes smoldered.
“Now, for some reason I really doubt that.” I sighed knowing there was probably no point in hiding it anyway.
“I was just thinking that this place is like a family” I paused and he nodded, “and I kind of feel like I’m part of this family. I just can’t help but miss my real family you know? My brother and parents and my best friend Diana.”
“That is not stupid.” He engulfed me in a hug, “We have to remember our old family because we are all that’s left. No one else will remember for us, so we have to take them with us and it’s defiantly not stupid to miss them and be upset.”
“But I just feel so weak crying about them when everyone here seems so strong.” I mumbled into his chest, but he just shook his head pulling back.
“No, that’s not true. None of us are any stronger then you.” I went to interrupt him and point out that he seemed much stronger than me but almost as if reading my mind he shook his head,” None of us.” I sniffed slightly and he wiped away the tears that had now made their way down my cheeks.
“Come on Jade, let’s go get something to eat.” I nodded and as he turned around I could have sworn I saw a tear glint in his eye.
I followed after him and we made it to see everyone set up in an assembly line, loading the new supplies into their correct places. Chase was pulling out meat after meat, handing it to the kitchen crew so it could get chopped up and distributed. As much as I hated to leave Brian’s side I went over to him and began unloading my bag as well. He smiled at me and I quickly returned it. With one last glance back to Brian as a thank you I joined the family in small chitchat.
Chase told the story about the “ghoul” as he called it about a million times and after each he seemed to exaggerate even more. By the end of the day and past dinner the one monster grew to six that surrounded us from all sides and he used amazing skillful flips to kill them in an almost matrix style. As he told it I was cracking up, Emily was drinking it all in and nodding claiming she heard all the shots, and Brian just shook his head with a slight chuckle.
Chase definitely had the young kids entertained. They hung on his every word with open-mouths. I really paid attention to him at that moment. He was cute with shaggy light brown hair and a tanned complexion. When he smiled he didn’t show any teeth and it came out slightly lopsided. It was sure to make even the strongest girl melt. I could see why Emily fell for him. I however still thought he couldn’t compare to Brian, but that point was pretty biased.
During the story he would often look over at me with his lopsided grin and wink as if compelling me to keep up the story. I, of course, was not going to spoil the kid’s fun and down his ego by denying his story. Finally, he finished and all the kids had to go off to bed. It was only Chase and I in the room since Emily and Brian had dish and laundry duty.
“Your quite the story teller Chase.” I walked over and nudged him with my shoulder, “The kid’s loved it.”
“Yeah and I didn’t mind having an audience either.” He chuckled.
“You know what Chase? You’re pretty cool.” I smiled at him and he chuckled again grinning back.
“You aren’t too lame either Jade.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know these are all really short, but hey... I don't have a lot of inspiration either.