Your Not Alone; I'm Here With You

Chapter 4

Through the tunnel, which was surprisingly wide, we came to a large door. Brian commenced a series of knocks to the surface in a distinct pattern and it opened revealing a girl with bright blonde hair. She rushed and hugged him as I stood awkwardly off to the side.
“Where were you Brian? We’ve been worried sick.” She pulled away.
“Well, while I was scavenging I found someone.” That’s when she noticed me.
“Oh, Hi. I’m Emily.” She stretched out a hand.
“Jade.” I answered accepting her offer.
“Well, let’s go in. I have to let the others know your safe.” She turned and scurried through the door, us following after.
I looked around the place. It wasn’t bad actually. It was filled with stuff from the outside world. A couch dragged down from above sat on a dirty beat up rug, on top of the hard ground. Stocks of supplies filled one area; meals, candles, matches, and lighters. One lone tunnel archway wound from the back of the room, opposite where we came in. That’s where Emily went. I stood waiting for a few minutes until she came back with ten other people. Brian and I made our total thirteen.
Four of us looked around the same age, in our late teens. Then there were two kids that seemed to be in their younger teens. Two elementary school kids, five older adults, all seeming thirty and up, and one infant.
We all talked for a while, mainly with me just giving short answers to their never ending questions. Finally the adults left to go elsewhere along with everyone except the four of us elder teens. Brian, Emily, me, and the other guy, whose name I learned was Chase. I decided now I would ask about them.
“So how did this madness all start for you guys?” I asked gesturing to Emily and Chase. Emily answered first.
“It was a normal day at my house.” The beginning of her tale reminded me of Brian’s.
“I was in the kitchen and could hear the T.V from the other room.
‘The world is under some sort of invasion we fear. We are not sure of the origin of these beasts that have been attacking people, but we do know that they’re here now. They look just like us, human beings, except for when they change to eat their victims. Then they look like they’re possessed with razor sharp teeth and large fangs.”
‘Was that a joke?’ I spoke to myself, ‘not very funny. Who would believe that?’ I laughed before grabbing my I-pod and going for a walk. As I stepped out the door the T.V warned me to stay in, but I didn’t listen. Why would I?
“Of course it probably wasn’t smart in the first place to be walking around at night, but I did it all the time. I began walking along and looked down in thought. As soon as I looked up, I realized friends of mine surrounded me.
‘Oh hey guys.’ I smiled, ‘Why am I in a circle?’ I gave them a funny look.
‘No reason.’ My friend Cassie moved to give me a hug, but then she wasn’t herself anymore. Her teeth, they were just as they described on T.V and her face was sinister.
“I jumped back knocking over two other girls, once friends now transformed. I ran down the street as fast as I could thankful I was on the track team. I ran for a while until I crashed right into someone. I was knocked background and hit the ground with a thud.
“I sat up and peeked. It was a guy with shaggy chestnut brown hair and dark eyes. I stood and dusted myself off.
‘Are you one of them?’ I was reading to rush off again. He rose before answering me.
‘No I’m human.’
‘How can you prove it?’ I asked untrusting especially in the dark night.
‘How can you?’ He accused right back.
‘Me?’
‘Yeah, you.’ He took a step towards me, intimidating.
‘I guess I can’t.’ I sighed, ‘but I haven’t eaten you yet.’
‘Same here.’ He nodded, ‘I’m Chase by the way.’
‘Emily.’ I accepted him being human, “So Chase, where do we go now?’
‘I think we should leave and search for more humans. We’re the only left in town.”
‘No we can’t be. Yesterday they were all fine.’ I shook my head at him.
‘Yeah yesterday, but they came today and there was a lot. Wiped everyone out pretty fast. I’m surprised you survived.’ He explained.
‘How did you survive?’ I raised an eyebrow.
‘I stayed in the light. They don’t like the light.’ Chase let me in on that secret.
‘Oh.’ I guess I’ll be staying away from the dark for a while.
‘Now, let’s go. We’re sitting ducks out here at night.’
“And that’s how I ended up on a journey with a random guy I didn’t know. We were off to who knows where. I was always pretty easily trusting though, and I trusted in Chase.”
“Wow. So you guys met each other before you came here?” Her story was pretty amazing.
“Yeah, pretty interesting how things work out, isn’t it?” She replied.
“So Chase how did you get to her town?” I asked and so another story began.