Your Not Alone; I'm Here With You

Chapter 6

I had no clothes with me to change into the next morning, but I was near the same size as Emily, so she let me borrow some. They gave me a trunk to slide under my cot and put the clothes inside.
“There, now whenever you get something, you can put in there.” Chase told me. I nodded graciously and sat down on my cot.
“Why don’t you get some rest? You seem tired.” Emily hinted and I had to agree.
“Sure, why not?” I lay down and sighed in contentment. The cot wasn’t as great as a mattress, but it was so much better than the hard ground.
The group walked out of the room and one of the young elementary school kids came up to me.
“Hi.” It was a small girl, skinny with porcelain skin and dark black hair.
“Hello.” I said lazily, and sat back up.
“I’m Kayla. Are you staying with us now?” She turned her head to the side with question.
“Yes I am. I’m Jade.” I smiled at her small face.
“I know, I was there when you were to talking to the grown-ups.” She grinned; Proud of her information. This made me smile wider. She seemed to be one of those people you just couldn’t frown around.
“It’s a pretty name; Jade.” She told me.
“Kayla!” A woman called from the other side of the room, “ Leave the girl to rest, come on.”
“Aw” She whined loudly then turned to me again. “Will I see you later?” She questioned hopeful. She seemed pretty smart and mature for her age.
“Yes, we can talk when I wake up.” I told her then gestured for her to fun along. She scampered off towards the older lady and I lay back down.
I don’t much remember what I dreamed about. I just remember it being horrible and bloody, nothing good as I wished there would be. I thrashed around, back and forth in my sleep, struggling against non-existent demons. And I often woke screaming and shivering, or panting or sweating, until I decided to just stay up and go find others.
I walked out towards the other room. I guess that’s what they are rooms in underground tunnels. In the tunnel I came across Brian.
“Oh, your up.” He nodded towards me.
“Yeah. What’s everyone doing?” He turned around and we both started for the other room together.
“Eating. I was actually about to come wake you so you could eat too.” He scratched the back of his head, obviously something he does when he’s nervous.
“What’s a matter?” I looked up sideways at him.
“Nothing.” He scratched again.
“Brian.” I insisted, trying to get him to crack.
“We heard you screaming in your sleep, we just didn’t want to make a big deal about it, because we’ve all been there.”
“Oh. Okay.” It seemed personal so I dropped it, trying to imagine Brian screaming from nightmares. It made me sad; to think of him as lost and scared, in nightmares that reflected his past. I wanted to comfort him, but how? It’s not like he was screaming now. So instead I just stayed quiet.
When we walked into the room I say another small tunnel hidden, where I hadn’t noticed it before. That’s the tunnel we walked to now. It was short, more of just an archway. It came to a room that held a long wooden table, miss-matched chairs all around. Everyone was sitting in a seat, spread by groups; adults and infant, elementary, I smiled to Kayla, middle school, and us high schoolers.
We walked to two empty seats by Chase and Emily. Emily was animatedly talking to Chase, though he didn’t seem that interested. When I sat down though he smiled and tried to start up a conversation, but I was distracted by the way Brian was trying to claim Emily’s attention, so I ended up trying to get his. When I couldn’t get his attention, he kept telling me to wait, I glared at Emily; she glanced up at Chase then turned back and glared at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm continuing this!
don't worry still working on my other story as well