Ellis Savory

chapter three:age : sixteen

“Happy birthday!” They all screamed with joy over loud music and chocolate now melting by the candles still being there cake. E veryone gathered around me each giving an hug stiffly, in their ridiculously dressed up suits and dresses. Here we all were in Ellis’s house, me of course , Ellis, Clorinda, mum and Da, and the maid whos name I still hadn’t learen’t. They all came to celebrate my birthday, on the count that me and Ellis had never stopped being friends since the day we first met. This really was sort of fun, usually my taste for parties went otherwise. But now was present time. My mum quickly handed me an red and yellow wrapped small box, then pecked me on the cheek nervously. Mum never was nervous, this was going to be good.

I turned it around slowly. A low growl came from Ellis’s side of the room. He did this now whenever he was frustrated with something. Calm down Ellis, it’s my birthday after all! I yelled silently at Ellis in my head. Finally I quickly opened my present tearing the wrapper off. Inside was an Golden Watch with an long chain attached admiringly like Ellis’s. I smiled. “Great! Now we both have the same one! We should both put it on our suspender’s huh, Zal?” Ellis said excitedly at me. Clorinda smiled at me, then turned to Mum and Da kindly. “What an splendid gift! Truly it is!” She said just as excited. I nodded happily. “Yes it is. Thank you Mum! You too Da .” I said looking at them both with gratefulness. I really did love it, exactly what I wanted. “Come on Zal lets go ride our horses!” Ellis said tugging on my arm aggressively. I sighed, ”Okay Ellis no need to be naggy. We’ll ride them.” I said just as pushy towards him.
He growled, “Then lets go and I won’t have to be.” He said pulling again. I sighed looking towards my parents or clorinda for help. The help was definitely ignored they were all surrounded by Clarinda’s “famous” lemonade. My parents seemed to not even notice me at all. I walked out the door getting ready to saddle up my new horse. Ellis had already had his but as an gift today Clorinda bought me an all new Hawksworth Horse. Ellis was just as happy as I was, when I received it. No more riding together sweating in the heat! I finished with the reigns and swung easily across Medalcon’s back .

I looked across from me Ellis had already gotten settled up on Legasus’s back. “Lets ride!” Ellis said grinning. And so we did. We rode until Ellis came to an sudden stop, on the middle path. “Ellis what are you trying to do kill me?!” I said angrily kicking Medalcon on the sides for him to stop. I heard an lighter voice up ahead where Ellis was as I leaped off of Medalcon walking forward, to see the holdup. Ellis was talking to Abigale masslie happily informing her on my big b-day bash recently. Abigale was someone Ellis liked, I knew this because he showed it. Abigale showed the same, they both were jittery an hyper as the same. Perfect match. I began looking around at the scenery absently. Finally after a few minutes or so Abigale looked towards me smiling kindly. “Oh I truly am sorry for missing your birthday Zalmond. I hope you can forgive me, maybe next time?” She said guiltily smiling.

I smiled appreciating her concern happily. “Don’t worry your heart Abigale, hey Ellis why don’t you give Abigail a ride on your horse so we can all enjoy the day together.” I said now with enthusiasm. Ellis quickly agreed, and hopped Abigale on his Horse triumphantly. He began riding and telling Abigale about my new watch I had gotten. He turned around towards me slightly, “Now we truly are like brothers aren’t we Zal!”He shouted smiling widely showing huge dimples. I almost replied back until we all heard angry shouts toward the town festival center, this didn’t sound like much of a festival at all though. Nor was anyone happy it seemed. “Follow, Ellis!” I commanded. Of course Ellis began trotted hurriedly toward the shouts. We stopped at the crowd of people forming more shouts at an rather frightened looking soldier or captain however.

I quickly spotted mum , Da and Clorinda, also looking quite distilled and frightened. Mother was crying though. We all ran towards them Abigale included, finding her mother also. I looked over at Mum. “Whats happened mother, why’s everyone so sad?” She simply began crying harder as she hugged me tightly.
I pushed out of it and looked at Da. “No! He won’t take my boy, I won’t allow him no more dying kids!” I didn’t understand still. I looked over back at Ellis he seemed to be confused also, yet frightened.
Clorinda looked rather much like stone though. “ Yes he will, Bortimus. And you know it as so. The king has forced all the young men in the land of Hawksworth to pack up and join the army against Bruswich. Just like William, just like him. Oh William, why?” Clorinda seemed to daze off into a distant memory now. Ellis hugged her tightly. My father seemed to still be indenile about this. “He can’t, he won’t. I won’t let him take my boys!” He shouted in despair.

Clorinda shook her head calmly. “No, no our king has the right, his law, his law. Yes, I do believe he simply will force them, a treachery if denied, a treachery, yes that’s it.” She seemed to not notice how many times she repeated herself through that all. Poor Clorinda, poor us. Happy birthday to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
better huh? told ya!