Ellis Savory

chapter five

Chapter five

The train was rusty, as Ellis put it. That is exactly how he described it actually, “rusty”. They claimed it was just shipped here to Hawksworth especially for this war, in particular.
I didn’t buy it just as Ellis hadn’t we both claimed it came from the war of Melantica. But I hadn’t complained, only because I was much too depressed. Our train ride was merciful, thanks to the boys up in front also about our age who kept complaining about the lack of school days they’d miss in war.

Ellis growled irritatingly at them both. He never much liked school. He thought it simply was an waste of effort, when we could all easily choose to learn things on our own choices in life. I halfheartedly agree but on the other hand I just plain well hadn’t liked it.
I also muttered things to myself along the ride, till a sudden stop came, and the train doors opened, we must be here! Finally, that was torture enough. Ellis stood now, so did everyone else including me. An large tall pasty man with gray hair walked onto the bus. He had on a lutienent’s uniform.
He must be the lutienent of course. I said sarcastically to myself sizing him up. Ellis also getting an eyeful of him, mumbled something to me, “Just lovely, he could sure use an horse ride or two.” He said sarcastically enough to make me laugh. I didn’t mean for anyone to hear me, especially him.
The lutienent frowned in disgust, his face turning red. “And what my boy is so dang funny?” He yelled towards me in the back. I shook my head saying “no”. Great, I’m already in trouble and we just arrived! Ellis nudged me, I nudged harshly back. He didn’t budge. The lutienent smiled showing hardly any teeth. “That’s what I thought. Now let me explain our rules here in training camp, no slacking, you too will be joining the rest of the soldiers in the war of Bruswich. At the ,moment we have no information on why we are having such an tragic epidemic between them. However that won’t stop us from fighting back! So here are our rules …..” The lutienent went on listing them all while I grew transfixed on the lutienent’s recent words. He doesn’t know what we are fighting over, or for? Something doesn’t seem right. The king, knows what this all is about. I’M SURE OF IT!

Ellis interrupted my thoughts. “Come on Zal tis’ time for the bunking.” He said this with an deep sigh. I smiled at him assuringly. “Don’t worry your head off Ellis, we will surely get bunked together, were simply lucky like that.” I said smiling wider. He smiled back as everyone filed in to an long row outside of the bus facing the lutienent as he called new names for bunk rooms.

I happen to get a couple looks around the perimeter. There wasn’t really much to see, just an long row of lofts were people’s bunks were in, and down the path not too far was an huge loft, bigger than the rest of them all though. It read Cafeteria on one side but at the end it said “lutienent bunk” on the other. Suddenly the lutienent’s barking voice interrupted my thoughts. “Zalmond Woodraw tis’ be bunking with Ellis Savory, and Benny tailing. Bunk room 313.” We both turned to look at each other with smiles.

Me and Ellis both. We gathered up our things quickly to reach our bunks. I sat on the bottom rusty bunk bed as soon as I reached the loft room. Ellis just stood, “ You suppose you’ve ever heard of an Benny Tailing before Zal?” He looked worried, what worse could happen, atleast we stayed together. I shrugged my shoulder’s in reply. Then the door of our loft swung open loudly. A boy bout’ same age as us both came in , he had reddish brown hair, and little red spotted freckles covering his face. Also he looked angry.

Me and Ellis both turned to look at this stranger in confusion. We both were on our way to the cafeteria, as the lutienent said to do. We also both looked alike about now, to Benny since we both had our hair parted slightly with brown slacks and an white wrinkled shirt on with our gold watches hanging out the side pockets of our slung down suspenders. Ellis came forth abruptly in kindness as he always does. “Hey , you must be Our extra room mate. Benny is it? I’m Ellis, and this is my best friend Zalmond.” Ellis stuck his hand out for him to shake. Benny smiled sadly. “Oh hey, Benny I am. Uh, sorry bout’ the door thing just, well, been kind of-” Benny struggled for words as I finished for him. “Terrible, tragic, sad, disappointing, scary? We understand completely.” I said as Benny chuckled silently. Ellis joined in. “ So are you headed off to the cafeteria?” Ellis said finishing up a last laugh. Benny almost said an yes till he stopped to look more at Ellis. I started getting confused as he just stared curiously.

Finally he said something. “Hey aren’t you the boy who’s family all died in war er.. Something like that? I don’t mean to sound so cruel, you don’t have to answer th-” Ellis cut him short. “Yes, that is I. Ellis Savory, son of The deceased parents from the war of Melantica. Let us go shall we?” Benny and I both seemed shocked at how calm his reply was, to this.
But we did indeed follow, into the cafeteria. The cafeteria was packed with boys of all sorts of ages. Two long lines formed at each lunch maid’s food line. Bloodycungwits! What in the name of tarry is that!” An Irish boy said picking at his “soup” with displeasure. The lunch maid seemed displeased at his reaction, but however went on with her servings. “We’ll all starve to death if we eat like this for long, tis true, I’ll tell no such lie!” The irish boy shouted continuing to pick at this still.

Benny grumbled at his soup also. Ellis began growling again not touching anything. My stomach growled, anger roared through me. I banged the table loudly. “Tisn’t fair at all! Were only sixteen! I hate him, I hate king Henry and all his trash forbidden rules! Curse king Henry to bids!” I shouted louder not caring any more.

Keep watching, see if I care, my dignity is all rotted out, I have no more hope left in me to spread! The other boys in the cafeteria all stared in shock at my words. An older boy probably nineteen stood up, “Curse king Henry to bids!” He shouted with anger also. Soon everyone began chanting my words. Me and Ellis began to laugh at it all, even Benny. Everyone soon grew Quiet when the lutienent came marching in angrily. “Stop this madness at once! You disgracing excuse for men and soldiers! Do you even know what is going on!?” The lutienent questioned with more anger.

The Irish boy from earlier replied just as anger, “King Henry is sending young adults such as ourselves to war, is what bloodycungwits is going on!” The boy seemed still angry at the soup as he thrust the bowl out of reach. The lutienent did not budge this one. “No you ungrateful little scums! Bruswich’s army is killing your men out there hundreds by hundreds, Hawksworth soldiers are dieing out there! Three hundred and sixty-two men have died so far, seventy five are injured! And look at you all, complaining over food! You spoiled brats need a good fight!” The loft grew silent for mere seconds, then the nineteen year old from earlier stood up abruptly. “Tis lies you tell! Don’t believe him!” He screamed at lutienent.

Lutienent shook his head in despair lifting up an stack of papers from the table he’d brought earlier. “Is this an lie also?! This is an copy of our captain’s army report, he only sends one to report current deaths near danger, all the men who are dead have been confirmed here!” Someone screamed an blood curdling scream.

We all turned towards an small pale boy with almost white sort of hair, also curly slightly, the boy seemed so innocent he almost didn’t fit. “Not Jameson! For he is my only brother! Not him, no never, not Jameson, no?” The pale boy looked up at the lutienent, who looked back over at his stack of papers. He finally looked back up and nodded his head solemnly. The boy screamed even louder I’m sure anyone could here now, the way it was though mainly hurt the most. A mixture of despair, torment, and misery. I can’t take this, it’s too much , I really just want to go home. I looked over at Ellis who looked as shooken up as everyone else. “We mustn’t keep letting this happen! Hawksworth will prevail!” I shouted looking upon everyone bravely.

This was…. Everyone began repeating my chant over and over, including the lutienent who was now sadly comforting the now uncontrollably weeping boy over his lost. my purpose… Looking over at Ellis now smiling sadly but with courage, I knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay thats it? do u like?
comments would be lovely!