‹ Prequel: Screaming Dreams

Whispered Memories

Chapter Two.

Edward's point of view.

Time seemed to almost stop, passing remarkably slower than it usually did with my enhanced senses, as I took in every minute detail of Amelia and the setting surrounding her. She stood tall, holding herself with pride, beside the blonde man who made it obvious that he was the leader of their clan by standing at the front and conversing in friendly tones with Carlisle. Her hair fell in loose waves around her beautiful face, coming to an end mid-back. The clothes she wore were no longer Victorian dresses, but casual, trendy, and no doubt a designer brand. She was still stunning to look at, but now her beauty seemed to be enhanced tenfold, magnified by what she had become.

I hesitated before staring into her eyes, almost afraid of what I'd see. I then laughed darkly to myself. I was a monster, nothing should frighten me.

Once I reached her eyes, I found her golden orbs gazing into my own. I recalled from my memory her eyes nearly a century ago: grey and piercing. A slight twinge of sorrow ran throughout my body as I realized I would never see that beautiful color again; all I would know from now on is that strange ocher that I was so accustomed to seeing. Despite the fact that it was different, the gold was also comforting. It let me know that she, like myself and the rest of my family, did not harm humans, but instead fed off of animals.

Mere milliseconds after my eyes first locked onto hers, she quickly looked away as if dismissing me. Exasperation and disbelief clouded my thoughts. How could she cast me aside so indifferently? Ninety years ago we declared our love for each other, and now, after those long, empty decades, she seemed completely oblivious to my unnatural existence.

"Ah, and here they are now, Arthur." Carlisle was the first to speak after the few moments of silence since Alice first glided through the door. He motioned to where my siblings and I stood in hesitation. "This is my family."

Carlisle then proceeded to introduce us individually to the handsome stranger. I was too wrapped up in my thoughts to notice how my brothers and sisters greeted the new-comers; I had an absurd amount of questions for Amelia running through my mind and I was also thinking of ways in which to get her alone without alerting the others of what had happened so long ago.

When Carlisle called out my name, I gave a curt nod before saying, "It is an honor to meet you all, and I am positive it will be an even greater honor to get to know each and every one of you. However, I have other business to attend to at the moment." I gave Arthur, Amelia, and their companions a slight bow before addressing my parents. "Carlisle, Esme. I am unsure when I shall return, but I assure you that I will indeed return." With one last nod at Arthur and his clan, I calmly walked to the front door. I didn't even wait for the 'click' of the door shutting before I set off at a dead run and disappeared into the thick trees.

As I ran, I formed the coherent questions that I would ask Amelia once I got her away from the others: Why had she seemed so indifferent? Had she not wanted the others to know about me, about what we used to be? Had she even remembered what we used to be? (I could not bear to think of the possibility that she couldnā€˜t recall the past.) Was Arthur her mate? Was Arthur the reason that she was standing here today, when she should have died many, many years ago? What had she done over the years that we were separated? What was she doing here, in the small, insignificant town of Forks, Washington?

It was almost overwhelming to try to comprehend all of my thoughts, even with my abnormally swift mind. I had too many inquiries and it seemed almost impossible to put them all into a logical form. For the first time in almost a century, I felt sluggish and stupid. Had I been human, my mind would be throbbing with what the teenagers commonly referred to as a headache.

I saw the trees ahead of me start to grow thinner and farther apart, signaling that I had almost reached my destination. I quickened my pace, eager to feel the rare warmth of the sun on my unusually cool skin and ready to bask in the serenity of my own, small slice of perfection. I slowed my pace to a peaceful stroll before stopping at the edge of the trees. After taking a deep breath, I stepped out into the opening, into the sun's golden rays.

It was as if my worries had been put on hold the moment I entered the meadow. The sun shone brightly from between a small gap in the ever-present clouds, casting a golden glow over the clearing. Birds were chirping cheerfully from the majority of the surrounding trees. A bear was attempting to catch a fish in the small stream that trickled quietly just out of sight. A family of deer grazed in peace toward the northern part of the meadow, unaware of my presence.

I smiled at the simple beauty of the small, grassy field as I sauntered to the center of the opening and seated myself. Eyes closed, I blocked Amelia from my uncontrollable thoughts and enjoyed the warmth from the sun. I decided that I would take a peaceful break before facing whatever awaited me.

Not even one full second had passed from the time I sat down until I heard a shuffling noise coming from my right. I didn't bother to open my eyes; my ears told me everything. It was the family of deer hurriedly running away after sensing that I was not human, that I was a predator from which they would not escape.

"I am not hungry," I said quietly to the now-empty meadow. "There is no need to fear me."

"I do not fear you." A whisper from the edge of the clearing startled me. I immediately opened my eyes and looked in the direction of the voice.

Amelia was standing in the shade of a large pine tree, just out of reach of the sun's warm rays. She watched me with curious and cautious eyes as I stared at her, unmoving. I was shocked and slightly annoyed with myself for not hearing her approach.

She made the slightest movement, as if she was about to step forward, but instantly stopped herself. She must have mistaken my stillness from shock for immobility from fear, for she spoke in a hushed, pleading voice. "Please don't be frightened. I could never hurt you."

"I am not afraid," I murmured. I closed my eyes and tilted my head towards the sun, mentally preparing myself for what was to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me a million years to get this out. The next update will take a while, though, because I'm still working out some kinks in the plot.