All-The-Good-Stuffing

Teeth Marks

A crash was heard as a scream ripped through the eerie silence of the “hospital”.
A nurse in a grey uniform and black and white checkered converse ran out of a room at the end of the hall, the messy bun her hair was in now seemed to simply be falling apart.
Blood dripped down her arm from a wound that had just been inflicted by one of the patients. In the room, a barefoot girl, about the age of fourteen walked around silently. Her blue eyes were wide as always, giving her the impression of the sweet little girl she used to be. Finally, after what seemed to be ages the girl climbed back onto the bumpy mattress and sat with her knees hugged to her chest as she rocked back and forth staring at the door. A little bit of thick, scarlet liquid dripped down her chin and left little drips on the front of her grey T-shirt. The young girl’s skin was pail, a simple sign of lack of the daylight sun. Her hair seemed to be blacker then a raven’s feather…So soft and long. One would never think as to why she was in the hospital. Down the hall, in the nurse’s office the sound of the weeping woman reached the girls room ever still. The sound of tears… Concerned voices…The girl stopped rocking almost immediately as she listened in, staring at the floor but not seeing the floor.
“It’s that girl at the end of the hall! Riggs! She BIT me!!” The nurse wailed franticly smashing paper towels onto the indention in her arm where skin should be. “What?” the male doctor asked, he seemed to be about forty, a light stubble growing from his ears to his chin. “She bit me!” the nurse said again. “She hasn’t done any thing like that for over a month!” Dr. Phillips exclaimed. About that time a clash of metal against metal came from the room at the end of the hall.
The dark haired girl, Riggs more likely… Had always had a long chain around one of her ankles, loose of course but not to loose to be able to be pulled off, and this day she just seemed to notice that she was prevented from being able to get to the door. She wanted the door shut. It had to be shut. Her door was always shut… but this chain was stopping her. Keeping her door open. As she thrashed around on the floor, letting out fitful yowls and screams she kicked her legs against one of the legs for the bed. Hard, apparently were her kicks, for the sound of the clashing metal rose above the sound of her screams. The doctor appeared in the open door way with two other people in body armor. They had guards here… The people they kept here were not normal. Some, like Riggs, were dangerous.
“Riggs!” The doctor called out stepping forward. The guards ran forward, grabbing the girl’s arms and pulling her to her feet, the one on the left, Officer Thomas jumped as Riggs lunged at him, mouth open as she snapped at him. Finally the two guards seemed to have her under control and she turned her head form side to side growling and snapping wildly. She was strong for such a young girl… It was surprising to see her be this strong when she was kept in this room all day. The doctor spoke in calming words that seemed to finally get to Riggs, not the words, just the tone. That same tone had spoken to her night after night comforting her when things went wrong in her head…She used to speak when she was here… She used to be a very kind girl in the beginning, but something went wrong. Something one day happened and she just got a craving… A craving for blood. So they moved her to this room. The room with only a bed and a corner filled with fluffy stuffed animals that always seemed to keep her happy. Even still, as she calmed down further she tried lunging forward towards the doctor, kicking the leg with the chain on it up into the air and straining to go tot eh door… To shut the door and go to the corner with the animals, all she longed for were the animals and the closed walls were no one could come in except the doctor.
After an hour of so of talking in soft voices and holding Riggs still, they were finally able to get her onto her cot. Dr. Phillips went to her corner and grasped a stuffed elephant in his large hand and went back to the young girl’s bed and handed her the stuffed animal with comforting trace of a smile on his face. Riggs reached out and snatched the animal from him quickly, as if expecting him to take it back from her. The way the nurse had with that golden wristwatch…Riggs held the toy close to her and glared at the two guards, lips drawing back in a sneering image still stained with old dry blood. The doctor took a tissue from his pocket and licked it, and started dabbing it at the girls chin, taking away the residue left from the encounter with Nurse Diane.
After the three men left the room, Thomas turned to the doctor. “Hey Doc, How is it you keep her so calm? And that you can actually touch her without her ripping your hand off?” he asked confusedly. “Because, I know she doesn’t mean any of it. She’s only a child and needs the same loving care as any other child.” He said calmly, putting his hand into his pockets and walking back to his office. He turned on his computer and check his email, a new one from Nurse Diane.
‘Phillips,
You should have that mongrel locked up in a real insane place. She’s not going to get better. She’s hurt over 34 people here already and she’s only been here about two years. I am sorry to say this but I must quit. I thought this was the right place for me to give back to the community but this is too much. Getting eaten alive by children was not my idea of a job.
-Diane.’
Dr. Phillips sighed and briefly looked over the titles of the other emails he had received and closed his laptop. He stood and walked over to the couch near the back wall next to the window and folded his hands, staring down the hall at the closed room as a gentle voice and a soft gurgling sound reached his ears. “That’s odd…” he murmured once again getting to his feet and walking to the room, pausing out side of it and listening.
“Such a soft Pam…Nice fur and beady eyes.” The voice was saying. “Do you like food Pam? Do you want food? I want food. I don’t have food. I want it.” The voice spoke. Doctor Phillips took his chance and went to the small window and parted the blinds a tinny bit so he could see. Inside the room, Riggs was sitting criss-cross on her cot making the stuffed elephant dance across her bed while she spoke to it. “I like stories Pam. Will you tell me a story?” she spoke in an eerie voice to the elephant, eyes wide and a wicked grin planted on her face. She blinked a few times and her smile faded and her teeth showed as her mouth opened slightly. “That’s not a nice story…I’m NOT a crazy girl…This room is the only one that doesn’t think I’m crazy… It keeps them out… Don’t tell stories like that Pam! They’re not nice. It’s not nice to call me crazy. It’s not nice to say this is a place for crazy people. This is my home. That’s why my daddy tucks me in.” She paused, staring at the toy then glaring angrily at it. “He is my daddy!” she screamed. “He’s not your daddy he’s my daddy!” she shrieked at the top of her lungs, skinny arms lurching out and trying to strangle the stuffed animal as she hunched over it, biting onto its eye and ripping it off and shoving her fingers into the whole of the eye and feeling the soft stuffing. “Such a soft brain.” Riggs commented mockingly as she held it in one arm, a classic choke hold as she bit onto its head and ripped the seams that held the head onto the body of the elephant. “I said I was hungry…” she laughed awkwardly and shoved her hand into the stuffed animal and tore out some of the white, fluffy cotton and began shoving it into her mouth. Swallowing the stuffing in ravenous gulps…
Doctor Phillips had broken into a cold sweat upon seeing how…how demonic Riggs could be…Upon seeing her pick up the skin of the toy and throw it across the room with all her strength, hearing it slide down the wall… The man gathered his thoughts and knocked on the door.
Riggs sat on her bed, criss-cross and wide eyed as she stared at the door as it creaked open, hinges in dire need of replacement. She hugged her knees to her chest and rocked back and forth, staring at Dr. Phillips with a tilted head, some of the stringy white stuffing hanging out of her mouth. “Ohh Riggs…” Doctor Phillips murmured shaking his head disapprovingly. The grey in his cherry blonde hair seemed more obvious now… Now that he was so stressed by the job he seemed to love so much. He walked over to the cot and sat down on it, reached his hand over across the bed and pinching at the wet stuffing on Riggs’s chin and pulling it away, almost as soon as he had gotten the stuffing off of her face, her two small, thin hands were tightly gripping his large wrist cutting off the circulation. He face cracked with worry and he spoke softly. “Riggs, I need my hand.” He murmured, giving a gentle tug.
Riggs had a grin creep across her face as she pressed her cold cheek against the back of Doctor Phillips hand. His hand felt so warm…Out of her own sense of predatory instinct, her lips parted and closed around one of Doctor Phillips finger. Biting down hard, she felt the doctor lurch backwards, causing her teeth to slice his finger down until nearly the finger nail.
Doctor Phillips held his finger shakily. Riggs had bit him before and he understood why. But never co gentle at first and then clamping down as if she wanted to rip his finger off… “No Riggs. That’s bad.” He said in a shockingly stern tone. He pulled out a tissue from his pocket and wrapped it around his finger, wincing slightly.
Riggs stared at him with a tilted head and slightly narrowed eyes. Never had he spoken like that. Only the nurses spoke to her like that… He had to still be a doctor. There was no way he could be a nurse, He was in a pretty white coat… he didn’t wear grey. But still, his tone led her to believe that he was changing.
Phillips narrowed his eyes back at the girl and took his good hand and pushed her black hair out of her face so she would seem a little more taken care of. Like she wasent totally insane. With this done, he put pressure on his finger and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him with a satisfying creak of the hinges as he walked back to his office and rubbed disinfectant over his finger. It stung terribly, but it was better then going on and finding out later they would have to amputate it… He sighed, going to the restroom and taking a wet rag and wiping his face. “She doesn’t do that.” He thought. “She doesn’t bite me. Not like that.” As he looked down at his finger, the bleeding seemed to have finally stopped; all that was left was teeth marks.