Nightingale Academy

Master Bedroom

How did you know? Did you see me or something?”

Amaranth was still flabbergasted about finding out that I had always known that he was watching me. He had gotten over the majority of his embarrassment and was now asking questions over dinner.

I shrugged, trying to find words to explain it. “I felt you.” He looked back at me strangely and I blushed. “I mean, that, I could feel your eyes.”

Amaranth leaned back in his chair and thought my words over before something seemed to have dawned on him. He sighed and closed his eyes for a second, his palm holding his head up. “I'm sorry, Lily. That must have been an odd feeling.”

I giggled slightly, not knowing what else to do. “Not really.” I took another forkful of my pasta into my mouth and smiled at Amaranth to reassure him once he opened his eyes again.

“What do you want to do after this?”

I was fine with anything, honestly. I shrugged and looked down at my plate, avoiding his gaze. I wasn't good with these kinds of decisions. I didn't know what types of things Amaranth likes to do in his spare time, other than star-gazing and listening to nature's music. He really was a romantic. I wondered if he ever wrote poetry.

“Do you write poetry?”

“Why? Would you like me to write you a poem?” he smirked as I blushed. I hadn't meant to blurt that out.

“No, no. Nothing like that. I was just wondering because you fit the description of a romantic.”

“And you don't?” he inquired.

I shook my head. “I'm too logical and closed up to be a romantic. I enjoy nature, but that's a luxury that I don't visit often.”

Amaranth grinned. “I guess you're right. You really are too shy and smart-mouthed to be a romantic.”

I choked on my food and stared at him wide-eyed. “That's rude! I'm not smart-mouthed.”

He laughed and I shivered under my skin. “I meant that you have a wide vocabulary.”

I blushed and looked away from him.

“Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't write poetry. I'm terrible at it. I can't rhyme for my life.”

I smiled. “You don't have to rhyme. Free verse is also poetry.”

He pursed his lips and another wave of shivers ran down my spine. “I suppose you're right, but I can't concentrate on things like poetry. There's too many symbols and metaphors. Going to school and being forced to translate everything is so tiresome and it takes away from the interest.”

I nodded. “School does that. Only two more years,” I perked up before my grin fell slightly. “Then college.”

Amaranth laughed. “I thought you'd be excited. You're very astute with your school work and studies.”

“Because I have to be. When I was younger, it was something to do. Now it's become something I must do. My parents work to take care of me and give me a good education and send me to a good college. I'm doing it for them so their future would be secure too.”

Amaranth leaned closer across the table, causing me to look up and blush. “Is there a single bone in your body that's not completely selfless?”

I chuckled a bit. “I think I'm pretty selfish.”

“You do?” He raised an eyebrow and asked me to elaborate.

I scratched the back of my neck, trying to think of something significant. “When I moved here I was upset about leaving.”

Amaranth silently stared at me for a few moments as I squirmed in my seat. He finally nodded his head, gradually turning it in a circular motion. “So?”

I huffed. “So I was selfish to be so upset when my parents needed to move in order to take better care of me simply because I didn't want to.”

Amaranth laughed and I glared at him. He held in his laughter, trying not to anger me more. My glare softened when he caught my gaze and his blue eyes shined brighter.

We dropped the subject and continued to eat. Even though nothing was said, I didn't feel uncomfortable. When we finished eating, Amaranth paid the bill and I let him, claiming that it was my way of being selfish. He let me know that he had no problem with me being selfish around him and led me out of the diner.

We desided to walk around Time Square. Memorial park at late hours isn't the wisest choice, though I didn't doubt that anything that would pop out at us, Amaranth couldn't send running the other way.

Our hands swung slightly between us as we strolled through the crowded streets. Amaranth tried to take me on the challenge to make me selfish and forced me into every store and try to buy me something. After lots of arguing and a few surprise kisses to catch him off guard and then pull him quickly out of the store, I got out of each safely and with no item. At least until Amaranth spotted the toy store.

“You have to buy something here,” he insisted as he carried me in, which he had to or I would sit on the ground. “If you don't I'll get mad.”

I looked up at him doubtfully before my eyes widened fearfully at his stoic expression. I agreed after stuttering my way around a couple vowels.

He grinned instantly and pressed a light kiss to my nose. “Great! Let's get the biggest one!”

My eyes widened to the size of one of Azure's retro sunglasses and I shook my head as he carried me to an employee. “No, no, no, no! It'll be bigger than me!”

He looked down and sized me up. “Fine,” he said looking back to the salesclerk. “We'll get the second largest.”

I sighed as he talk to the employee who led us to a section of the store which held the largest stuffed animals. Amaranth walked over to a giraffe whose head reached past his and he laughed. “This will do, eh? You could probably ride on it!”

I giggled but shook my head in the negative.

He walked over the another stuffed animal, this one being a tiger and smaller. It had it's teeth bared and Amaranth growled back at it, claiming he didn't like the look on it's face. I let it pass and sat down on a small plastic chair as he walked around the stuffed toys.

“What do you think you're doing?” Amaranth pulled me to my feet and slightly up in the air before my feet met the ground. “It's your toy. I can't pick it out for you.”

I pouted before walking around all the stuffed toys, most of them larger than me. I went farther down the isle than Amaranth had until I found a Kirlia. It was much smaller than the other stuffed toys but it was my favourite Pokemon. I looked up at Amaranth and hugged to my chest, putting on the most pathetic pout I possibly could.

Amaranth smiled at my attempt and patted the Pokemon's head. “It's not a Lily or anything but it does look like a flower. I suppose it fits you.” I grinned and jumped up. His hands easily caught my waist on instinct and I pecked his cheek before he set me down once more and followed me to the cash register, probably in a daze like he had been all day.

The cashier bagged my Pokemon and Amaranth laced his fingers with mine after paying. We strolled our way back towards my flat as I stared up at the darkening sky.

“Ne,” I started to gain Amaranth's attention. “Weren't you supposed to bring me back before the sun set?”

Amaranth looked up at the building tops and pondered as we continued walking. He quizzically looked at the sky and I looked up in interest. The clouds moved suddenly as if they were sprinting away and I felt a slight breeze through my hair.

“I guess it's good I got you here just in time.”

I looked away from the sky and instead at Amaranth. Was he kidding? Getting to my flat by subway would be another 10 minutes at least and we were going by foot. Amaranth slyly smirked down at me and looked ahead. I did so as well and felt my jaw slacken as I stared at my apartment building's door.

“You're bloody kidding my, Amaranth. Are you a wizard?”

Amaranth chortled and covered his mouth with his hand to stop from snorting. “Not even close.”

I rolled my eyes. “Is that why the sky moved so fast?”

Amaranth desided to play dumb and hide his smirk as he looked at me questioningly. “I have no idea what you're talking about.”

I sighed and pulled him by his hand to lead him back to my flat. As we waited for the elevator to slide down, I lightly leaned my forehead to his elbow. I wondered that now since he knew I could sense his presence when he was watching me, would he come tonight, or would he stop altogether.

“Amaranth?” I asked softly as I felt my cheeks burn.

“Yeah?” he replied. I could feel him looking down at me, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

“Are you still going to come like you always do?” I kept my gaze downward as I felt my forehead start to burn.

“Do you want me too?”I could hear his smile.

I nodded against his arm. “Will you come in this time?”

Amaranth's other hand jostled my hair lightly and he chuckled lightly. “Only if you call for me.”

I smiled as the elevator door opened and we got in. I pressed the floor number and waited by Amaranth's side as it went up, occasionally picking up people along the way. We got off within a couple minutes and Amaranth picked me up, racing me to my door. He set me down and laughed at my expression before he answered my unsaid question. “I don't want your dad to hate me.”

I nodded and dug in my pockets for my keys. I sighed, remembering that I had forgotten them and knocked on the door instead. It opened mid-knock and graced the beautiful face belonging to my father.

“Oh, Lilith! You're home! Come in or you'll get sick,” he ushered us in before taking a look at Amaranth, his eyes hardening slightly. “You're Lilith's friend, huh? Adam, was it?”

Amaranth smiled charmingly. “Sorry to correct you, sir, but I'm Lilith's boyfriend and my name is Amaranth.”

Bill's eye's turned into tight slits as he observed Amaranth. I held my breath and looked towards Amaranth. He was still politely smiling, completely unfazed.

“You know,” Bill finally says. “There's something not right about you…” I felt myself pale. “But I can't say I don't like you.” I let out my breath.

Amaranth laughed and offered my dad his hand to shake. “I'm glad. It's a pleasure to meet you.”

Bill shook his hand firmly and Amaranth seemed to have effortlessly tightened his grip. Bill visibly tightened his hold and smirked as their battle continued. My dad finally gave in and laughed. “Good, you got yourself a strong one, Lilith,” he turned to me. “If he's not a pussy, he'll protect you.”

I gasped. “Bill!”

“Lilith!” he mimicked my gasp and chortled. “Chill out, Lilith. You're more up tight than your old man.”

Amaranth snorted but caught himself quickly and grinned down at me. I glared up at him and he looked away. He and my father shared a look that said it all and I growled, walking away from the two. I heard the two laugh again as I walked into the kitchen.

“So how was the date?” Azure asked.

I perked up. “Great!” I stopped reaching my hand for the fridge door and looked behind me. “What are you still doing here?”

Azure pouted. “I'm offended. Don't you love me?” She swung her legs on the counter and my mum came in, giggling at us.

“Well, I suppose I do, but that doesn't answer my question.”

Azure grinned. “You didn't think I was going to leave poor Felicia all alone while her daughter was off on her first date, did you? We were celebrating!” Azure laughed loudly, catching Bill's and Amaranth's attention.

“What are you still doing here, Azure?” Amaranth asked, smirking.

“Didn't you just hear me?” she jumped down from the counter and wrapped an arm around my neck, leaning so her head was touching mine. “Celebrating!”

I coughed, having just smelt the alcohol on her breath. “You've been drinking?” I asked, pulling away from her.

She grinned sheepishly and pulling my close again, whispering subtly, “Don't worry. I can't get drunk.”

I looked over at my mum. “Felicia,” I sternly said and she pouted, her cheeks flushed with rose and her nose pink. “Azure is underaged. How could you allow her to drink?”

Felicia waved me off. “It was juzza little.”

“Juzza little,” I repeated as she swayed slightly and I caught her with help from Azure. I looked over at my dad who was leaning against the door frame, Amaranth next to him, in the same posture and similar smirk. “And what about you, Bill? Have you been drinking as well.”

“Hell no,” he said. “I was waiting for my dear daughter to come home so I could see if I needed to strangle some necks or not.”

“Uh-huh,” I replied, before turning back to Azure. “Can you help me get her in bed? She's going to collapse in a couple minutes.”

“What a light-weight you are, Felicia!” Azure giggled.

Azure picked my mum up lightly and carried her while I pretended to help, leaving Amaranth and Bill alone again. I led her to my parent's bedroom and had her slide her into the bed and under the covers. I took my mum's slippers off and placed them by her bedside.

“Was it really necessary to drink, Azure?”

Azure giggled. “Hush, Lilith. This was time for the grown-ups.” That gave me another clue to what they were, but I dropped it and led her back to the kitchen.

“You should retire too, Bill,” I said, corking the wine bottle and lifting myself on the counter to place it on the top shelf.

Bill scoffed. “Did my daughter just tell me to go to sleep?” I stayed quiet as I hopped back onto the ground and started putting the wine glasses into the sink. Bill sighed. “Fine,” he gave in. “Don't worry about the dishes, Lilith. I'll do that in the morning. You three don't stay up too long, got that?”

“Gotcha, Mister Bill Globe!” Azure giggled, playing the part of a drunk teenager.

Bill laughed and patted her head before leaning down to plant a kiss on my cheek. “Try to get some sleep.”

“Aye, aye,” I said. “Good-night.”

Azure and Amaranth chorused their good-nights and my dad went off to his room. He and Felicia will be dead asleep all night.

“Hey! This is cute!” I turned away from the sink and looked over at Azure who was now holding my forgotten stuffed toy and petting it. “Is this the only thing she let you buy her?” she asked her brother. He nodded and glared at me playfully. Azure scoffed. “You're weak!”

“I know!” He put his hands up in defense and pouted.

“Don't worry. I'm great at going into stores and buying things for her. I have my own room back home that's already filled with stuff I bought for her. She just needs to give in and accept it.”

My jaw slackened. “You're joking, right?” I looked to Amaranth and he grinned, shrugging. “I hope it's a small room.

Azure shook her head. “It's the master bedroom.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for the late update.
I was on vacation in Poland (woot!) and I was so sure that I would have internet access, but I didn't.
This one is pretty long though, but I'm sure there are a few over looked mistakes.

I don't usually rant here, but I think I will for this one.
While I was gone (5 weeks), my mum and uncle renovated the house, including my room.
It looks amazing!
I got this coral/orange-ish colour for my walls and I actually have lights now!
I never had lights!
Only a lamp. lmao.
There a new window too so now I won't have so many bugs interfering with my typing late at night.
Well, everything looks great and I love it. I thought I would share. =]]