New Witch at Hogwarts

A New Witch Appears

“Did you hear,” Hermione asked the two boys as they were getting ready to leave Platform 9 ¾, “there’s going to be a new girl next year and she’s going to be in our year.”
“No way!” Ron looked astonished, but Harry just looked confused.
“So?” he asked.
“So,” Hermione rolled her eyes, “That almost never happens. The last time it happened was about two centuries ago.”
“I still don’t really get why it’s such a big deal,” Harry scoffed. Hermione sighed while Ron took over.
“Look Harry, this girl has been home schooled in the arts of wizardry since the end of this year. Normally you either stayed home schooled the entire time or you go to a wizard’s school. You almost never transfer from one to the other.”
“Why not?” Harry asked.
“Because you just don’t,” Hermione snapped. “Now everyone’s wondering why she suddenly decided to transfer to a proper school.” It was the end of their second year at Hogwarts. Harry hated summer vacation because he was stuck with the Dursleys and hey, who could blame him?
“Well, see you guys next year,” he said gloomily, as he trudged off over to the Dursleys.
“We’ll write to you and everything,” Hermione promised.
“Yeah,” Ron just nodded his 'yeah'.

I was standing outside my house, breathing in the last of the early fall air before heading off to magic school.
“Selena, darling. Please come in and grab your stuff. We’re heading off to the Leaky Cauldron in about five minutes,” my mum called from inside the house.
“Okay,” I said cheerfully and ran back inside the house. My name’s Selena Riko and I live in London, England. Since we live in London, I like to think that we are relatively close to the 'wizard’s alley', as I liked to call it. Dad said to call it Diagon Alley, but I liked wizard’s alley more. Why? I don’t exactly know. Maybe it’s because I never really grew up around wizards and witches other than my wizard of a daddy and my witch of a mum. We were all from Japan, so we had that oriental look about ourselves. My dad was a top business man at the Ministry of Magic and my mum was like any other stay at home witchy mum. Actually, she was pregnant, so she wasn’t going to be lonely for long when I left. I ran upstairs and checked to make sure that I had everything that I needed. I double checked again before shoving my iPod in my pocket and dragging my stuff downstairs.
“You can put it in the car dear,” my mum smiled and pointed outside, to the car.
“Okay,” I ran outside and pretty much just threw my stuff in the back. I pulled out my iPod before walking back in the house.
“Honey, do you really think it’s best to bring your iPod to school?” she asked me.
“I don’t see why not,” I shrugged, “Unless there’s no way for me to charge it.”
“Well come here and I’ll show you a spell for charging electronics,” she smiled and held out her hand. I handed over my iPod and said, “Maximus Campitor.” (I just translated this from an online Latin dictionary okay. It means maximum charger, as in it’s completely full of battery or something) I watched as the icon in the corner symbolizing the battery filled up. She performed another spell on it too. “There, now it should still work when you take it to Hogwarts, even with that nasty old spell to make muggle electronics malfunction when near, or something like that.”
“Hey thanks mum,” I hugged her and she handed my iPod back, laughing.
“No problem, now go wait outside. We’ll leave as soon as your father gets here,” she smiled and went back to cleaning the kitchen. I walked back outside and sat on our front door step. I was nodding my head along with the song playing on it.
“I can’t wait,” I sang out loud to Akon’s ‘I Can’t Wait’ while I waited. It was kind of true seeing as I really couldn't wait to start my first day at a real magical school; which of course, wasn't going to happen for a couple more days. But I was still excited non-the less. I was still twelve, turning thirteen on December 1st, and I haven’t gotten a wand yet because we had recently moved from the United States. As far as we knew, there weren’t any wand makers there so I couldn’t get one. Mum and dad had taught me using my hands. Yeah it worked, but they said it wouldn’t be nearly as effective as it would be if I had a wand. For instance, if I said 'Wingardium Leviosa' and pointed my finger at a gnome statue for example, it would raise about five feet in the air, but the spell wouldn’t last long and the statue would begin to shake, and then fall to the ground after a while. Dad finally pulled up into the drive way and I got up.
“Sorry I’m late bud,” He said, getting out of the car. “But I had to get you a little going away present,” he held out a small wrapped box.
“Oh,” I squealed and grabbed it. I ripped the paper off and opened the box. Inside was a necklace with a very small little charm made to look like a 3-D crystallized dragon.
“Oh my gawd it’s beautiful!!!” I exclaimed as I clipped it around my neck. “Thanks!” I hugged him tight and he hugged me back.
“Alright bud, let’s get you to that Leaky Cauldron,” he said. Mum came out and they kissed before getting in the car.
“Do you have something to do for the car ride?” mum asked me. “Even though the Leaky Cauldron’s in London, it’s still going to be a lengthy trip.” I nodded and held up my iPod. Dad backed out of the driveway and began his way to the wizard inn. I looked out the window as we drove through the busy streets of London, England and just let my mind wander. Well it wandered enough for me to close my eyes and go nappy bye.
“Honey, honey wake up,” I heard my mum’s gentle voice say as she shook me awake.
“Hmm, yeah uh, wait what?” I asked, still half asleep.
“We’re here honey,” mum said. Mum and dad got out of the car as I stretched. They got my stuff as I hopped out of the car too.
“Welcome,” some guy with a hunched back said, as he came out of the door with the sign over it saying, ‘Leaky Cauldron’. “We have been expecting you.”
“Good to see you, Tom” my dad came forward and shook Tom’s hand.
“And nice to see you too Mr. Riko,” the guy named Tom bowed a bit before saying, “Don’t you worry about your daughter. I’ll make sure she stays here and in Diagon Alley.”
“Good,” my parents seemed more relaxed after that and I knew why. I had heard that there was a killer on the loose. Sirius Black was his name and killing was his game. Mum and dad didn't want to tell me, but being close enough to a teenager, I've had a bit of my share of rebellous moments. I used to listen at the door of their room. They had been talking about it every night since it happened and so that's how I found out. Also, having a dad that works at the Ministry, I was able to hear many details and become very knowledgeble about the muderous man who killed those innocent people many years ago; more knowledgeble, in fact, than I probably should be.
“Well, bye,” I hugged and kissed both my parents before turning around and heading in the inn.
“Bye,” they smiled and I could swear I saw tears from each as the door closed and I was officially on my own. Well, except for all the other people in the Leaky Cauldron, but you know what I mean.
“Up here,” Tom said, heading up a pair of squeaky stairs. I followed him until he led me to a room. He opened the door and I walked in.
“Would you like to see Diagon Alley?” he asked me as I dropped all my stuff on the bed. “Get all your shopping done before everyone else gets here?”
“Sure!” I smiled cheerfully and he smiled back. I followed him back downstairs and into a little room with a brick wall.
“You might want to remember this,” he said and tapped seven - at least I think it was seven - bricks around an indented brick in the wall and all the bricks suddenly began moving until they formed an open archway.
“Okay I swear I’m never gonna remember that,” I said truthfully. He chuckled and we stepped forward into the already bustling streets of Diagon Alley.
“I should probably take you to Madam Malkin’s first so that we can get you your robes,” Tom said. I nodded and we went into the store. So I got everything except for my wand, which was my next stop. I walked into Olivander’s wand shop while Tom waited outside with all my stuff. The bell rang as the door opened and an old man, Olivander I presumed, came sliding into view on one of those ladder things you find in a library.
“Good evening miss,” he said politely, “How can I help you?”
“Um, I’m here to buy a wand,” I smiled timidly. The man had a sort of stern look about him that made me feel slightly intimidated.
“Ahh yes. But aren’t you a little old to be buying your first wand?” he asked, walking around me, examining every aspect of my face and body.
“Umm, well I used to live in the United States and they didn’t have any wand makers there so………” I kinda trailed off and he understood.
“Very well,” he said, snapping his fingers and a magical tape measure came flying out and immediately started taking my measurements. It finished and flew back to its little spot in the corner.
“Here try this one,” he said handing me a long box. I opened it and pulled out a wand with a pearly white color to it. I immediately liked it. “Give it a wave,” he said. I pointed it at a chair in the corner and said, “Wingardium Leviosa.” The chair shot up into the air and would have crashed through the roof if I hadn’t taken control and stopped it.
“Most definitely,” Olivander said, “Let’s see. 13 inch, pearly white in color, and ahhhhh,” he seemed intrigued about something.
“What’s wrong?” I ask.
“Nothing wrong, but you have two cores in your wand,” he smiles.
“What?” I was rather intrigued myself. He nodded.
“Dragon’s fang and unicorn’s hair,” he stated matter-of-factly.
“Wow. Thanks,” I take the box and pay for it.
“You’re very welcome,” he says in a mysterious voice before I left. Tom got up from his seat as I realized that it was night already and we headed back for the Leaky Cauldron. We parted ways at the staircase. Tom said that he needed to greet someone at the door and I just shrugged it off before heading back up to my room. I threw everything into my open trunk before realizing that I hadn’t had any supper. I brushed my hair since it looked kinda bad before walking out my door and closing it. I saw Tom walking my way and I smiled. I could just ask him about supper. But that’s when I noticed that he was leading, or more like dragging, a boy along with him.
“Ahh, Miss Selena, can I help you?” Tom halted in his tracks and asked me.
“Yeah, I wondering what I’m supposed to do about supper,” I smiled and asked him.
“Oh well as soon as I give this boy his room I’ll get you something to eat,” he shook the boy he was dragging. That’s when I took a good look at him and realized exactly who he was.
“Wow Tom, you never told me you’d have a celebrity living here,” I raised my eyebrows and grinned.
“Well he just got in so….” Tom kinda trailed off in his speech.
“Oh well, I’ll just wait downstairs,” I said.
“Oh no need Miss Selena. I’ll bring it right to your room,” he smiled his rather tooth-less smile before beginning to drag young Mr. Potter off.
“Got-cha,” I said to his back as he was already halfway down the hall, leaving me feeling kind of stupid just standing there in the hall. I went back into my room and pulled open my laptop. I had asked mum to put that same spell on my laptop too so that I could use it at Hogwarts without it crashing. I checked my e-mail before visiting various other sites. A knock at the door brought my attention to Tom, who was standing in the doorway with a tray full of food.
“Thank you,” I got up and took the tray from him.
“Just leave it outside when you’re done,” he said before leaving. So I ate supper and surfed the internet. When I was done, I turned off my laptop and placed the tray and empty dishes outside my door. I hopped in bed and turned off the light before falling into a nice little slumber.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well It's my first story here on Mibba so I hoped that you liked it and will comment and subscribe. ^_^