Cats Eyes

Transveerium

"I take it you know how to begin a Caji battle properly" Mendax said
Jakob nodded, his mouth dry
"Very well" Mendax said, his tail thrashing from side to side, "Let us begin"
He waved a paw above his head, conjuring a small blue paw print made of smoke. Jakob did the same thing, releasing a white hand print. The two smoky creations met in the center of the battle court, producing a gold halo of light when they touched.
"Imria, Meldi, Hastel, Paws" Mendax said, pronouncing each word carefully. His paw print vanished, indicating that he was ready to fight.
"Imria, Meldi, Hastel, Paws" Jakob repeated, his hand print disappearing also.
Everything Casper had taught him seemed to have vanished; he had no idea what to do next. Then, the noise like the crack of a whip filled Jakob's ears. His head felt although it was on fire, he staggered around the court, trying to remember something. Anything.
"Bublious Haltious" he managed to say, tearing one hand from his face to point at Menadx.
A jet of water sped from his finger, drenching the cat. Instantly, the pain left Jakob, who was free to watch Mendax squeal in terror as a tornado of cold wetness engulfed him. He looked completely shocked that Jakob had been able to do anything while under such a painful curse.
"Clov-st-erie-l" Mendax managed to say in-between spitting out mouthfuls of water.
A ball of purple light sped at Jakob. But he was ready, and with the speed of an Olympic runner, he blocked it with a simple reflex charm.
"Hex traganoorial" Jakob said, grinning as Mendax began to float, powerless, into the air.
It gave Jakob some time to think, his mind finally settling on the 'Hercross' charm.
"Hercross Avelodge" Jakob shouted
Mendax fell to the ground, choking and spluttering. He looked completely wiped out, gasping for breath so hard that he couldn't utter the words to a spell. This was it. Jakob took a deep breath, ready to finish it.
"Transveerium" he whispered.
He didn't even bother to imagine he was spinning around. He didn't have the energy. Stars of every color began to fill the battlecourt. A pink one settled itself on Mendax's head, sticking fast, like a leech.
For Transveerium was a killing spell, a spell in which each star drained a little more life from the victim. Jakob turned his back on Mendax. He wasn't like the agents, he got no pleasure from watching him die.
"Jakob" came a voice, "Lift the curse"
He pretended he hadn't heard it.
"Please Jakob" the voice said, "Don't become a murderer"
This time, he couldn't ignore it.
"Why not mum?" he asked the air, "He's evil. He's the reason I don't have a family"
Adrienne's voice whistled through the court, like an angel.
"You're not like him" she said, "Don't kill him. Other things can save Earth"
Jakob let two years worth of tears fall down his face.
"Like what" he sobbed, "What else is gonna save everyone? What else can save my dad?"
"Courage" she said, "Courage can break curses. That's how you survived that night, you were the bravest person there"
This didn't make any sense to Jakob.
"So Earth's saved because I was brave enough to fight"
It was an odd feeling, asking such a private question to some he couldn't see.
"No" Adrienne whispered, " "Earth will be saved because you were brave enough not to kill him"
Jakob took a step towards Mendax, his heart pounding. He thought of that frightened little boy who still visited him in his dreams. Didn't he owe that little boy revenge?
"Please sir" Mendax begged, "Don't kill me. Give me a chance"
Jakob stared at him lying pathetically on the floor.
"Why not?" he asked, "Why shouldn't I kill you? Did you give my mum a chance when you sent Oden to kill her? Did you give Joey a chance when you told Oden to kill him? Did you give my Dad a chance when you took his family away? Did you give Tre a chance? Did you give Mog and Casper a chance?"
Mendax stared up at him.
"No" he said
Jakob reached out and grabbed the final star, ending the Transveerium.
"There" he said, "You don't deserve it though"
Mendax said nothing. He lay perfectly still, his huge green eyes blinking in disbelief at what had happened. Jakob lifted the battle amulet from Mendax's neck. He hung it around his own, feeling a surge of warmth spread through his body.
"This place belongs to you, Jakob" Mendax croaked, "He who wears the Caji Battle amulet, owns the planet"
Jakob stared at the once proud king on the floor. He didn't want Caji, he didn't want any power.
"Free the cat slaves" Jakob said, "I want you to let them go"
He felt the ground move beneath his feet, as the doors of the castle were opened, and two familiar faces appeared at the battle court entrance.
"Casper, Mog" he shouted, "It's over. I won. Look, there's Mendax, what do I do with him?"
Mog looked at the ground, then back at Jakob.
"There's nobody there" she said.
-------------------------------------------
"Mendax isn't dead" Casper explained, "He's begun his next life, you lifted the curse in time. But whatever happens, you're still the Caji ruler"
Realizing he was still wearing the amulet, Jakob blushed. No wonder every cat they'd passed on the way to the Blast Off Centre had given him a funny look.
"I don't want it" he said, snatching it off, "You keep it, you two rule Caji"
Mog and Casper stared at him.
"No" Casper said, "It's yours; we're not going to take it from you"
"Yes, you are" Jakob insisted, "I want to go home. But promise me something, please free the cat slaves. Give them fair wages, and somewhere decent to sleep. And don't employ agents"
And with that, he boarded the shuttle.
"Are you really sure?" Mog asked as the door closed.
Jakob nodded, pressing his bruised face against the glass. He looked at the cats, who, for the first time in years, were walking the streets of Caji, free. And as soon as Casper and Mog got back to the palace, thousands of cat slaves would run from the iron gates, to begin a whole new life.
"Five seconds to blast off" came a robotic voice.
Jakob looked at his friends. Casper had a paw against the shuttle, as though trying to hold it back. Mog was rubbing furiously at her eyes.
"2... 1" said the voice, and Jakob felt himself being lifted into the air. Casper and Mog grew smaller, until they were just two tiny little dots.
"I'll miss you" Jakob murmured to himself.
Then he looked upwards, waiting for Earth to come into view. Where his Dad was waiting for him. And as he first rain in two years fell, soaking Billie Joe, Jakob punched the air in triumph. HE'D DONE IT!

The End