I’ll Go Until My Heart Stops

Epilouge

"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul."

The vast Californian horizon stretched out before me as I padded across the sandy beach. My tattered sandles grasped firmly in my right hand, I jogged across the gritty pathway toward the crashing waves.

Needless to say I was no longer in Nashville Tenessee. Although my roots were now firmly planted in that picturesque town deep in the South; no, at present I am a film major at UCLA in California. My acceptance to this prestigious course had evoked both feelings of elated joy, somewhat clouded by utter devestation.

Zac in particular found it difficult to handle, as he had grown accustomed to returning from tour to find me in the same vacinity as his family, ready to return to our relationship. Due to his hectic touring schedule I had begun to travel with them as they trudged around the country. I had spent the entire Summer on a bus with ten sweaty boys and only Hayley for company, and yet leaving that cramped space was the hardest thing I had ever done.

Now, it was approaching the Christmas season, although that was not at all obvoius from the humid Californian weather that encompassed me. It had quite literally just occured to me that I would be seeing Zac again, after three months apart, in less than twenty four hours.
At first a smug grin had graced my features but only seconds later a feeling of uneasiness had crept over me, my stomach had tightened into a knot and tears threatened to fall. I had fled my shared apartment in a blur of uncontrollable anguish.

The source of this sudden change of heart; the memories of that fateful day back in August when I said my last goodbyes to Zac. We had stood in the terminal of the bustling New Yok airport, our arms wrapped securely around one another, ignoring the world as it passed by us in blurs of passing time. When the final call for passengers on my flight came over the intercom a feeling of dread washed over me, I pried myself from his secure embrace and stood to pick up my bag. I placed one final kiss to his soft lips, holding back anguished tears I stroked his cheek one final time and turning abruptly, I sped away. I couldn't look back, not even for a second. If I did, I knew my last shred of resolve would give way and I would crumble into his arms once more.

As I stood on the shore with the violent waves crashing around me, the memories flashing before my eyes, a single tear fell. I felt it run slowly down my face, leaving in its wake a deep red trail. I placed my bare feet into the soft sand at the edge of the shore. My feet sank slowly as the rush of the waves took the sand out with it, causing my feet to sink further embedding me in the seabed.

I stood stationary in that spot for what felt like hours, tear after tear falling idly down my pained features. I watched as the burnt orange sun disappeared beyond the distant horizon, taking with it the last of the winter glow.
Twilight descended upon the shore, a cool breeze began to blow in from the choppy waters. I shivered involuntarily as the cold nipped at my bare legs. Yet despite the bitter conditions I remained in my spot in the sand almost as if my limbs were expecting salvation to come in another form.

The moon rose high in the December sky casting a mystic glow over the now almost violent waters. Suddenly, I was snatched from my thoughts by the familliar touch of two firm hands on my delicate hips. I gasped in shock, almost afraid to turn, fearing my exhausted imagination was playing tricks on me.

His familliar scent of cinnamon and mint overtook my senses as he breathed my name in a sigh:

"Maddie," his voice rang in my ears; memories of our final weeks together came flooding back and I relaxed back into his strong chest.

"Zac" I mumbled as I stretched my hand up to run through his messy locks.

We stood in our self constructed bubble on the shore, for what felt like hours until the rational voice in my head piped up and I was forced to voice its question.

"What are you doing here Zac?" I enquired as he ran his hands up and down my arms in an attempt to warm them.

Slipping his jacket off he draped it over my shivering shoulders, his intoxicating scent overwhelmed me as I slipped my arms into the sleeves.

"I had to see you," he replied simply as he pulled me into his embrace, "It's been too long. I felt like you were slipping away, so I caught the first flight out last night after the show." He finished by brushing my unruly hair away from my tear-stained face.

I sighed in relief, he too was struggling with this long distance relationship.

"You find it hard too? I thought it was just me over reacting," I voiced from my spot against his chest.

"Nope sweetie, me too. But I love you too much to let a little distance get in our way - that's why I got on that plane!" he replied in a voice firm and sincere, arms tightening around me.

He continued; "Do you want to fight for us Maddie?" he enquired, his question bold yet honest.

Of course I did, no question about it! I summoned all my strength; all of the treasured memories of our time together would get me through the hard times and I would get on a plane whenever I felt unsure. I could do this.

My voice filled with affection and love I answered, "Of course I do! Nothing would ever stop me fighting for what we have!"

Reaching up on my toes I placed a kiss so full of passion and desire on his smooth familliar lips, it left us both panting for breath.
A strong wind blew in from the distant horizon sending a shiver down my spine. Chuckling, Zac pulled me from the tide. Grasping me to him, he dragged me toward the dunes.
In the secure surroundings of the dunes he lay down indicating for me to join him. I slipped into his waiting arms, burrowing into his safe embrace. I sighed in contentment, my tired eyes slipping shut as I fell into a slumber to the comforting sound of his heartbeat beneath me.
♠ ♠ ♠
All done and dusted! ( :