Infinitesimal

Questions

It was nighttime. The moon was just beginning to rise and a lone figure was walking away from the crowded mall. Eyes glanced up at the sky, before picking up the pace. Long hair made quiet swishing sounds as she moved. She had to get home before the moonlight touched her.

A lanky teenage boy brushed past her, glancing over his shoulder as if someone was following him with every breathless step.

She glanced back at him, before looking up at the moon. She let out a breathless curse before running deep into the shadows. The moon seemed to follow her and she glared, running toward the park.

He slowed his pace to a slow jog, then checked once more to see if anyone- or anything- was behind him. He stopped, then braced his arms on his knees and breathed heavily.

The moonlight touched her back and she curled in on herself. "Crap! Thank God no one is around," she hissed, feeling something burst out of her back. She looked up at the moon, shining fully down on her. Black bat wings shook themselves out before she sighed. Her eyes were now deep red with slanted pupils.

He waited, leaning against a tree and listening for any sounds around him and tried to control his breathing.

She stepped out of the shadows, flaring her wings and letting them soak up the moonlight. She froze suddenly. "There's someone here... or around here. I can't tell..." she murmured, holding her head tightly. "Who's here?" she called.

He heard her, but wasn't sure how to respond. Or even if he should respond.
Eventually he decided to call out, "You first."

"I am but a shadow of the Moon's people," she answered, feeling her jet black wings soak up the moonlight. Her hand moved, flicking dark hair out of crimson eyes, her slanted pupil lighten with hints of silver. "I have answered you, not you must answer me."

How far away was the girl's voice coming from? It seemed close, but at the same time, not as much. "My name's Evereth. I've heard of these 'Moon's people,' as you say...But n-" He realized he had said too much.

She chuckled lightly. "Have you heard of my people, Evereth? Or have you heard fables? I am not a werewolf, if that is what you believe. I am a Lunari, the winged ones of the Moon. Or have humans forgotten of our exsistence?" she asked softly, but loud enough for him to hear. She moved slowly, walking towards his voice.

He heard her footsteps, and wanted to shy away farther into the woods, but he figured he would take a shot and learn something about this girl. She intrigued him.

She stopped, leaning against a tree as a shadow came to life and wrapped itself around her waist like a child hugging their mother before the shadow disappeared. Her wings were tucked against her back and her demonic eyes searched a little.

He saw a figure moving infinitesimally, and moved from his place by the tree out into the clearing between the grouping of trees.

"Who are you?" she called, feeling the leather of her wings against the bare skin of her arms. "I know your name, yet I do not know you. Should I consider you a threat?"

"Certainly not! I don't mean you any harm, I'm just curious as to who... or what you are..."

"If you are curious, then ask me questions. I don't mind answering," she responded, eyes flicking from tree to tree.

"This Lunari you said you were... What exactly is the story behind this?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Written with my friend Anita.