Infinitesimal

Sleep.

She smiled at him a little before her eyes slipped closed and she fell asleep.

He slumped down against the wall and looked at her sleep, and he realized that she looked more at peace than when he had seen her before. Does she always look like this when she''s sleeping, or is it just because of me?

She mumbled something, turning over to face him. Her hair covered her face slightly, rising and falling with her breath.

He stayed against the wall, musing on the things that had happened the previous evening. Who knew that a short walk could have progressed into this?

Her fist clenched softly before loosening. Slowly, her eyelids fluttered before falling back over her eyes, still sleeping. "...eth..." she mumbled.

"eth"? "Yeah?" he said softly, so that if she was awake she could hear it; or if she was asleep she could stay that way.

"...can't...let you...hurt... ever," she mumbled softly, frowning softly. "Not...again."

"I didn't get hurt..." he practically whispered, slightly shocked that she was worried about him.

"Won't... be... repeated," she murmured, fingers running along the rock. "...don't want...it to."

"I'm sorry," he said just as softly. Even though, of course, one part of his brain told him, it's not your fault. He pushed that aside. If he had caused her this much distress, then he had to apologize in some way.

"...Not you..." she whispered, her nails digging into her skin.

Dang, how many Evereths does she know? I thought people hadn't used the name Evereth since like, the 1800's or something. What other way, he wondered, could she have meant 'not you'?

"...Not your... fault," she murmured, eyelids twitching again.

Oh goodness... I really wish I hadn't caused her this much stress. I think it'd be better off if I hadn't met her. God, I'm such a loser. I never... I didn't want this to happen.

Her hand reached toward him, her face smoothing out. "Evereth," she sighed softly.

He hesitantly reached with his own hand for hers, to comfort her. His fingers barely touched her fingertips, and he stiffened. I suppose this is the best thing to do, since she's so worried about me... I can't have her being so apprehensive, even in sleep.

Her hand gripped his softly and she mumbled something uninteligible. Slowly, her skin got darker and her wings unfurled slowly from her back.

Oh, it's night? I hadn't noticed.. Wow, another day that-um, pardon the pun- flew by.

She yawned, rolling on to her back and stretching a little. Slowly, she opened her eyes, blinking. "Did... I sleep all day?" she asked, sitting up and letting go of Evereth's hand.

"Yeah.. It went by pretty fast. I slept all morning."

"Mmhm," she agreeed, standing and holding her hand out to him. "C'mon. We gotta move otherwise they'll find us," she said.

"Ooh, okay. Let's bail."