Another Day In Class...

Chapter 42

Where are the others? Are they dead too? I don’t understand?

I felt a hand on my shoulder and instantly jumped. I turned my head to see Frank with a pained expression on his face and tears streaming down his cheeks. I turned my attention back to Ray.

“He’s not dead he can’t be. He’s just playing a trick on us because the lights went out. Ray!” I screamed again trying to wake him and convince him that his joke wasn’t funny anymore.

He still didn’t stir. I, all of a sudden, heard a crackling sound and then the lights flickered and turned back on. I suddenly wished for darkness again because the sight I saw was cruel and sickening. A sight I never wish for anyone to see. I saw slain in the blood stained porcelain of the bath the pale, limp, lifeless body of someone I grew up with. I quickly threw a hand to my mouth partly out of shock and partly because of the smell.

The sight of your best friend with a laceration around his neck about two inches deep and blood seeping from the wound, that didn’t look more than an hour old, is enough to make anyone sick and have nightmares for the rest of their natural life. The slit around his pale throat was slightly jagged and roughly done. He had bruises surrounding his wrists, a black eye, multiple cuts and bruises to his cheeks. He had put up a fight against his attacker.

I started to sob again knowing very well now that it wasn’t a joke. That he had literally fought for his life and failed. His eyes were still open and that scared me most of all. I couldn’t look into his dead lightless eyes and see nothing. His life force and soul were taken from him with one quick swipe. I heard someone wrenching again and I knew it was Frank. The smell was starting to get to me as well. I gulped back what I knew was dinner and tried to run from the room slipping on a small amount of blood that had spilled over the edge of the bath onto the floor.

I got up, blood now covering my hands, knees and feet, and ran out into the hallway hoping to God that I didn’t run into Ray’s killer. I ran to where I knew the phone was. I hurried to pick it up and my heart almost stopped. The sound of the solid beep was all I could hear. It was dead. Surprise, surprise.

I started to shake and yell everyone’s names. Not the smartest thing in the world to do I know but I was scared.

“Gerard! MJ! Bob! Molly! Mikes! Michelle! Loz! Where are you, guys?!” I heard a small gurgling sound coming from Gerard’s bedroom.

I sank against the wall as I feared the worst. I feared walking in and seeing the body of Gerard having a seizure from blood loss due to a slit throat and his girlfriend, my best friend, crying in the corner screaming her lungs out at the sight of her dying boyfriend. I ran my fingers through my hair and kept them over my ears trying to block out the sound. Frank came running out and saw me he had blood all over his hands and shirt. I gave him a questioning look.

All he could mutter out was, “Ray…” before he broke down crying again.

I heard a snapping sound coming from Gerard’s room again. I screamed out of shock and ran in the direction of the sound. I slammed the door open and without thinking or looking around yelled, “Gerard!” the second I got a response I was overly relieved.

“What? What’s happened?” it was Gerard’s voice.

He sounded completely oblivious to Ray’s death. I broke down crying again. Gerard and soon enough MJ came running to my side. MJ put a hand on my leg and pulled away quickly when she felt the blood. “What the fuck?!” she yelled looking at me concerned.

“Ray…Ray’s dead!” I stuttered out.