Ring the Alarm

Chapter Thirteen

Adrienne had picked up the cell phone and set it back down again no less than twenty times. She had awoke that morning with a clear head, knowing exactly what she wanted from her day.

Talk to Abigail. Get the truth.

But once she had some time to herself she just couldn't find the courage to press 'call'. She knew she wanted answers, it was what she deserved. But it was the fear of what those answers would entail that stopped her from calling.

Deep in her heart she knew Billie had cheated. The details in the emails were far too explicit for it to have just been a casual conversation. Adrienne was an intelligent woman, she knew a lie when she heard one. Yet she knew that although it was necessary, she didn't really want to hear the truth. It would change her completely. It would change her ideology of marriage completely.

It would change how she saw Billie completely.

Billie, the one man who she thought would never, ever hurt her, would become a new person; capable of lies and deceit. And that wasn't the man she had agreed to spend the rest of her life with. The Billie she loved would be gone, and in his place a treacherous worm who had taken their wedding vows and trampled all over them.

But she knew he wasn't the only one to blame for his betrayal. It took two people to have sex after all. Adrienne felt that she owed it to her son to get some answers. So as rage and disgust; fear and worry bubbled inside of her, she made the call.

It didn't ring for long. "Hey baby, well this is a nice surprise! Have you changed your mind and left wifey?"

Adrienne hardened at the sound of Abigail's voice. She would not stand to be mocked.

"Actually," she began calmly, "I threw him out."

There was a sharp intake of breath at the end of the line. "Adrienne---" her cocky tone had been replaced by one of stunned surprise.

"That's right. Billie Joe's wife."

"What are you doing calling me off Billie's number?"

"The particulars have got nothing to do with you. And I think that I should be the one asking questions, not you."

Adrienne heard Abigail sigh. The defeat in the air was almost tangible.

"So---I've got a couple of emails here that I think you need to talk me through---"

"Look, it's not what it seems. I think you need to speak to Billie about this, not me."

"I've already spoken to Billie. And now I want to hear your side of things---"

There was another sigh. "Oh my god," came the mumbled reply. Then, "I'm so, so sorry---"

Then it was Adrienne's turn to be stunned into silence. She had not expected that particular response. With those three words, the harsh reality of the truth almost strangled her. Although she knew that she needn't really ask anything else, she stayed on the line. She wanted to hear it out loud.

"There really is no reason for me to ask this but, have you slept with my husband?"

Adrienne thought that in the history of the world, there had not been a pause as long as the one Abigail took before answering, "no."

"That took you an awfully long time---I'll ask you again. Have you had sex with Billie Joe?"

"I really think you should talk to Billie---"

"Ok---here's how it is. I am not a stupid woman Abigail. I will not be taken for a ride. So when I read emails and have the answers right in front of me in black and white, I expect to be told the truth. So---I'm going to ask you one last time---have you had sex with my husband?"

Another pause. Adrienne thought she would die if the truth was dragged out much longer. Then, "you've said it yourself---you've read the truth in black and white."

"Oh---" was the only sensible thing Adrienne could seem to muster at that moment. Her head spun with grief and hurt stabbed at her heart. Her worst nightmare was now a reality; the man she first loved no longer existed.

Abigail interrupted her contemplation. "I know an apology will probably mean nothing to you, but I really am so very sorry. You need to understand that whatever Billie and I felt for each other is over. And you need to believe that he loves you and that you're the one he wants to be with---"

"You're right---an apology doesn't mean anything to me. Between the two of you, you've fucked up my life. I had everything, and now I have nothing, save for little son---who, no thanks to the two of you, will not get to know his father. You say that I have to understand that it's over between the two of you. But how can I when he only ended whatever it was you two had, only a couple of days ago?"

"We hadn't spoken or seen each other for weeks before that. Billie realised that what we were doing was wrong and stopped calling me, because he wanted you."

"Oh! How very kind of him! It's a shame he didn't realise that before he jumped into bed with you! You better have used protection---"

"We did. And I've been and had tests."

"Well---that's the best thing to come out of this conversation! But I have to ask---did you know he had a wife?"

"---Yes---"

Adrienne growled. "It's women like you that make women like me feel inferior. And let me tell you sweetheart, I come second best to no one! Now I may have gotten what I needed from you, but don't for one minute think that you've heard the last from me. I need answers and between you and Billie Joe I sure as hell am going to get them."

Reeling, she slammed the phone shut. "Believe that Billie loves me?" she griped to herself. "How the fuck can I do that when he's nothing but a liar."

Needing to make another call, she picked the cell phone back up. When there was no answer at her home number, she knew straight away where Billie would be.

"Mike," she snapped when he answered. "Tell my poor excuse for a husband to get his scrawny ass down to the hospital---if he thought I was angry before then he's in for a world of pain now."

"Adrienne---please don't be too hard on him. He's pretty messed up."

"Not as messed up as he's going to be. We've got things to sort out so send him down here. Now---"

And as quickly as she had made the call, she hung up. Then climbing gingerly out of her cot, she went to the incubator and picked up her son. When she held him in her arms she felt calm, safe; there was nothing else in the world except for the two of them.

And for a little while at least, Adrienne found comfort in this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think it must be the fact that I'm going to see the real life, none arsehole Billie Joe in THREE DAYS, that inspired me to update again.

Once again, thank you to everyone who reads and comments. I appreciate your support more than you know.