Ring the Alarm

Chapter Four

"Well…you look fancy," Adrienne teased as she watched Billie Joe fasten up his red tie and smooth out creases in his black shirt. "I thought you were only going to the studio?"

"I am. But those execs are going to be there again and I want to make a good impression."

"Since when have you cared about impressing people?"

"Since these are the people who can either make or break my band!"

"Whatever you say. Hey…would I be able to come with you today? I wouldn't mind seeing how you're doing?"

Billie's heart stopped in his chest. He had never refused Adrienne a visit before, and normally, he would have loved to have her there; her opinion on his songs meant the world to him. But today was different. Abigail would be there and there was a tiny nagging inside him that didn't want Adrienne knowing about his new friend.

Adrienne caught his hesitation. "What's going on? You look like I've just kicked you in the balls! Do you not want me to be there?"

Billie recovered quickly. "No baby, I'd love you to be there but we're not going to be playing anything today. We'll just be going over possible gig dates and business plans. Boring shit like that."

He placed his hands on her stomach, at six months pregnant it was protruding heavily now. He couldn't be more proud of Adrienne, pregnancy really agreed with her. Her cheeks had a permanent glow and beauty just radiated from her. He almost felt guilty for lying to her. Almost.

"Seriously Adie, you stay here and gorge yourself on ice cream; put your feet up and take care of this little guy…or girl…you're going to be really bored if you come with me."

He kissed her stomach and then her lips. A sure fire trick that would lead him to get his own way.

"But I haven't been to any of the parties or meetings in ages. I don't want people thinking that I'm not supportive."

"No one thinks that, Adrienne. The guys understand that you're pregnant and realise that a party wouldn't be a practical place for you to be! I'll tell you what…we're having a costume meeting in a couple of days, to create a look for the band. I'd love you to be there for that, no one can dress me like you can…or undress me for that matter…" They both giggled quietly.

"Well OK then," Adrienne sighed, defeated. "But if I'm not coming down with you then make sure you're not out all day! I'm sick of saying that to you!"

Billie kissed her long and hard. "I'm a pain in the ass I know, you're an angel to have ever married me!"

"You're avoiding what I'm saying Billie Joe Armstrong."

"No I'm not Adrienne Ilene Armstrong. The meeting will take up most of the afternoon but then I'll be back in time to wash your back when you get in the bath and rub your feet."

"You better be." She slapped his behind and then pushed him towards the door. "Now go. The quicker you get there then the quicker you can get back home again."

Billie didn't need telling twice.

---

"Where were you today? BJ xxx"

"I meant 2 txt u. Rob called me n told me that I had 2 go round the gig venues n get some dates 2gether. Did u miss me hehe? A xxx"

"Yeah, like I would miss a hole in the head! I'm just pissed off coz I stayed sober purposely for seeing you but you weren't there! Xxx"

"That's a shame I missed it then! What u up 2 2nite? My flat is free, we could play spin the bottle again… xxx"

"I wish. Night in tonight. Will you be down at Reprise for the costume meeting? Xxx"

"Fraid not babe. I have 2 go round Berkley n blag clothes that will fit ure shitty ass! Xxx"

"You know my ass is as great as yours. But I'm an excellent blagger. Need any help? Xxx"

"I'll need a good feel 2 b able 2 judge that… And is that how u got ure wife 2 marry u by blagging her haha. But that sounds lyk a d8 sir. Xxx"

"She married me coz I've got a huuuuuuuuuge…….balance in the bank! Well I guess I'll see you in a couple of days then gorgeous. Xxx"

"U sure will babe. Call me that morn 2 decide where 2 meet. C u soon xxx."

"I can't wait. See you soon. Xxx"

---

"Billie…honey…is everything OK?" Adrienne tapped lightly on the bathroom door. He had been in a foul mood since getting in from the meeting at the recording studio. He hadn't even bothered to say hello to her, or tell her how everything had gone. He had stormed straight upstairs and locked himself in the bathroom. "Can I come in?"

She heard frantic splashing and as she opened the door he saw him hiding his cell phone underneath the towel he had placed at the side of the bath.

"What are you doing?"

"Uhh…I nearly dropped my phone in the water. I'm just drying it off."

"Oh…so are you going to tell me what's wrong? You haven't said one word to me sine you got in."

"It's nothing. Just shit at the studio."

"Well tell me. I'd like to know…maybe I can help."

"Well you can't. So just leave it."

His tone was sharper than he had liked and his stomach dropped when he saw the flash of hurt in Adrienne's eyes. "Wait," he called as she went to leave the bathroom. He held out his hand to her over the side of the bath. Adrienne had always had the softest of hands. He loved to feel their silkiness run over his torso, she knew how to drive him wild with it. "There's room in here for two…"

She grinned. "Make that three." She placed Billie's hand on her stomach and enclosed her own over the top of it. The baby was kicking.

Billie was fixated on Adrienne as she undressed. He knew, and loved, every curve of her body. He knew exactly where she liked to be kissed. He knew he loved her. As she climbed in the tub and rested back on his chest, Billie retrieved his cell phone from underneath the towel, and turned it off.

"The last thing we need is an interruption," he whispered as he kissed her shoulder blade. "Now I think I owe you a back wash…"