Ring the Alarm

Chapter Six

She nervously ran her fingers across the cold plastic of the phone. Her heart was beating furiously and this surprised her. It was just a phone, surely there was no reason to be as scared as she was?

She hoped not.

Her hands were shaking as she slid open the phone. She managed to navigate her way to the list of previously made calls.

And there, right at the very top, was Mike's name. Her cheeks flushed with shame. She felt stupid for doubting her husband's word.

"Adrienne," Billie shouted upstairs, making her jump so she dropped the phone. "Are you coming down? You need to choose either chocolate or bananas for your pancakes!"

"Yeah…sorry…I'm coming now." She hastily picked up the phone, closed it and put it back in its place on the dresser. As she was leaving to go downstairs, she heard Billie's message tone and the phone vibrated into life.

"Shit…I didn't think of the texts," she cursed aloud. She considered going back to have a look but another yell from Billie forced her to leave it alone and go get breakfast.

---

"I'm sorry bout last night. A x"

"Yeah…what the fuck was all that about? What were you playing at talking to me like that? I didn't do anything wrong!"

"R u angry at me?"

"What do you think? You had no right to blow up like that. Adrienne is my wife and believe it or not, I AM entitled to spend time with her. And you are NOT entitled to insult her."

"I reali am sorry. I woz just annoyed at not being able 2 c u. Plz 4give me? X"
"It's not that easy. I mean, I hardly know you. And you have never even met Adrienne. You were out of order."

"I no I woz. I shouldn't have said wot I did bout Adrienne. Lyk I said I woz annoyed. But it's only coz I reali lyk u and do want 2 get 2 no u more. X"

"Well, I do have that effect on people!"

"I'm sorry. Again. Am I 4given? X"

Well I suppose you are…but you have got to make my mercifulness worth while… x"

"Oh u no that I could do that. I'll make it up 2 u anyway u want. Xxx"

"Well you can start tomorrow afternoon then. Maybe drinks first and then…wherever the mood takes us…? X"

"Sounds good 2 me. U sure u wont back out on me again haha. Xxx"

"Behave. That's strike one lady, but otherwise, it's a date. I'll see you tomorrow babe. Xxxxx"

"A d8...hehe. I can't w8. C u 2morrow gorgeous. Xxxxxxx"

---

Adrienne's eyes were glued to the cell phone in Billie's hand. He had been messaging someone for at least fifteen minutes. She wanted to feel stupid for worrying. She wanted to be assured in herself that she had, indeed, got nothing to worry about. But there was just a little something in the back of her mind that wouldn't allow her to do it.

Everyone knew Billie was useless with technology. He didn't even have his own email address. If he needed to call Adrienne, he would get Mike to do it on his phone and then just speak when she answered. So it was the sight of him now that Adrienne just knew something was wrong.

"Who's that?" she asked when he finally shut his phone.

"Just Mike and Tre. I'm arranging another meeting with them seeing as I missed today."

"Oh…" She sighed heavily.

Billie stared at her, eyes suspicious. "Everything ok?"

"Yes. I'm fine." She forced herself to snuggle up closer to him on the couch. "I've had a really good day with you. It's been really refreshing with it being just me and you and not having to worry about anyone else."

He kissed her forehead and wrapped his arm tighter around her shoulders. "I know. I've really missed this."

The sigh she emitted this time was more content. Billie relaxed. Adrienne, meanwhile, couldn't take her eyes off the cell phone. She had to see what was on it. She had to put her mind at ease.

And she had to do it soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
With how long it has taken me to update, you would think it would be better than this! I'm sorry if you think it is short. My next effort will be much better.