Ring the Alarm

Chapter Nine

Two weeks had passed since Adrienne's big blow up with Billie. They were back on talking terms but a strange tension lingered in the air every time he left the house, and even when he pulled out his cell phone.

Adrienne had never been one to go behind Billie's back; but when idea on top of idea built up in her head, she felt like a woman possessed in wanting to know who he was talking to or where he was going. But when his cell phone was permanently glued to his hand, she never had a moment to settle the demons.

Billie knew better than to mention Abigail in front of Adrienne, but he also knew she wasn't stupid. The pained look in her eyes when he told her he was going out with 'friends' showed him just how little she believed him.

He almost felt guilty. Almost.

Even though they had only had sex the once, Billie knew he was falling into deeper trouble with every second he spent with Abigail. She was his escape from the monotony of regular family life. Upon telling Abigail this, she asked, "then why marry her in the first place?"

The question stumped him, for lack of better words. "I love her," was the best reason he could give.

"But is that enough for you anymore?"

Billie frowned at her. "I don't get you?"

"If you truly, truly loved her, then why are you here with me now? She's ready to give birth to your child and yet you're finding any excuse to come to me to get away from her."

"Don't you see…that's the effect you've had on me. Even though I've only known you a few weeks, you're making me question everything that used to make me happy."

"Well if I'm making you question things, then why aren't we together?"

That threw him off guard for sure. "It's not that easy Abigail. Adrienne and I have made so many sacrifices to be together that I don't want to turn my back on her just like that. I need some time."

"How much time? I'm not going to hang about and be the other woman Billie Joe. I really, really like you and I think this could go somewhere…"

"And I like you too but I've made a commitment to Adrienne!"

"Yeah…a commitment that you're walking all over now!"

"And like you say…she's pregnant with my child! I can't just up and leave!"

"Well only you can decide what you want Billie. All I know is that you can't really be happy if you're considering being with me."

"Time, Abigail. I just need some time."

"Fair enough Billie. But I'm not going to wait around forever."

It was after this particular conversation that Billie seriously considered for the first time, that his future with Adrienne wasn't as certain as it once was.

He became distant and moody at home. The nights he actually spent in the house passed quietly, with him and Adrienne watching television and then heading up to bed.

Adrienne recognised the change in him and on several occasions turned and asked if he still loved her and if he was happy. His answer was almost robotic, "yes of course. Don't be stupid."

But Adrienne knew she wasn't being stupid. And she knew that Abigail had something to do with his change in demeanour. In less than two months, Billie had grown into someone totally different from the man whom she had married.

The final straw in Adrienne wanting to conquer her suspicions was when she walked in on Billie using her personal computer. "What are you doing?" she asked confused, she didn't even realise Billie knew how to turn the machine on!

"I'm just writing a blog on the band's website. Mike showed me how to do it the other day."

Then as suddenly as she had caught him, Billie jumped up from the desk and left the computer.

"It's all yours. I'm going to pick up some beer for the party tonight. Do you want anything?"

"Party? What party?"

"Oh come on Adrienne! Everyone is coming round here tonight to celebrate Insomniac's release on Monday!"

"Oh…I guess I forgot. Who's everyone that's coming?"

The stress she placed on the word 'everyone' made it clear that she meant just Abigail.

"Everyone is everyone Adrienne. I'll not be long, call me if you think of anything you need." He gave her a peck on the cheek and swiftly left the house.

Adrienne waited until she heard the car head away down the drive and sat down at the computer. Checking Green Day's up and coming website, she was surprised to find that, for once, Billie had been telling the truth and had posted a diary blog. She crossed off that particular screen and sat back in the chair and tried to calm her shaking nerves. The constant suspicion was driving her over the edge.

But it was as she went to shut the computer down that a small notification box, popped up at the bottom of the screen.

'You have one new email,' it read.

Confused, she clicked on the box and expected to be taken to her email account. Instead, she was taken to Billie's.

"Fuck, you are sneaky Billie Joe," she muttered to herself as she tried to get her head around Billie's step into the world of technology.

The email that had just been sent happened to be junk, but as her eyes scanned through the contents of the inbox, her heart leapt into her throat and shock hardened her blood to cement as she saw an email address that was all too incriminating.

abi_dashery38@yahoo.com

'What has she got to say in an email that she can't say on the phone?' she thought to herself. Her fingers hesitantly hovered over the mouse. Did she dare see what had been said? She knew that if she didn't take a look, then she may never have another opportunity like this again. She could not think of another moment so perfect as this to settle the raging demons of suspicion that seemed to permanently take camp in her head these days.

Taking a deep breath she clicked to open the first message.
♠ ♠ ♠
Familiar.

All too familiar.

I've got to say writing this is helping though. And so are all the fabulous comments you all leave. I can't thank any of you enough.

Much love.