The Crimson

chapter 10

I think he wanted to give some space, and let it all sink in. Because after he told me he said bye quickly and fled the forest.

I sat there for a minute watching the leaves dance with the wind. I was frozen, but my mind was racing. Those three words changed everything.

They made everything clearer, but more confusing at the same time. I wanted to believe him, but the thought was so inconceivable, but why would he say if it wasn’t the truth.

I seemed to thaw out, and in a swift movement I stood up. I followed the direction in which we came in.

I thought I was lost, until I saw the school through the leaves. I reached the back of the school and followed the path I only took a mere fifteen minutes ago, to the front of the school.

I reached the school’s main entrance. It was still surrounded by students.

They were talking and laughing, going on as they normally would.

But I guess everything was still normal to them.

--

You live a life was vampires are just fiction and only exist in story books. And then you wake up one day knowing that one goes to your school. It makes you wonder what else exist.
If there really are ghosts and other creatures that go bump in the night.
And it makes you wonder who else lives among us living a secret life, unknown to everyone they don’t share it with.
And it makes you wonder why they are here.

I watched my ceiling fan spin, sending a cool breeze through the air, as I laid on my bed.

Vampire.

The word was stuck on my tongue, stuck in my head.

I gulped as I took a fleeting look at my window. Thinking I saw something but looking out the clear glass all I saw was our old oak tree swaying in the wind and the receding pink sky.

My room was silent, my house was empty, but my thoughts were loud.

What exactly was a vampire?

When the word came to mind I used to think of Dracula, bats, capes and fangs. Now there was a whole new meaning to the word, because now all that came to mind was Aidan.

I thought I saw something out my window again. Cautiously I got up from my bed, the mattress creaking under me, and I walked over to it. My hands rested on the window ledge as my nose was inches away from the glass.

There was nothing outside.
Well nothing I could see.

The sun was completely gone and the dark swallowed our small town. Spiral clouds crowded the moon and its usual white glow was a sinister yellow. The moon was odd today, but familiar.

-

It was Monday morning; I woke up to the blaring sun in my eyes and a chill that caused my whole body to shake.

The car ride was long today and to make it worse I felt so alone. Even though there was music playing through my almost blown out speakers, everything seemed so quiet.

I slipped in my seat as the bell rang. Everyone looked so lifeless today, all in a daydreams more exciting than the teacher monotone voice describing events that happened two thousand years ago.

Our teacher talked for most the period but I wasn’t listening. There were more pressing matters. Like why the seat next to me was empty.

I waited a couple more periods, thinking maybe he was just late, but when English came along I started to wonder where he was. I started to get worried, but I don’t know why I was. He was probably fine. He most likely just wanted to give me more space, and he wasn’t sure if I was ready to see him. Hopefully that was the reason, and not that something bad had happen to him.

But I didn’t need more space, and I think I was ready to see him. No I was sure I was ready, because he’s the only thing that’s been on my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
..