You Don't Know a Thing About My Sins, How The Misery Begins

Moving

I couldn't believe it. Why were we moving? Was ruining my relationship with Sydni that important to Mom?

"Dad, Why? Why are you doing this to me?" I asked him the first day we started packing for the move.

"It is not because of you and Sydni," he started.

"Sure it isn't!" I remarked angrily."

"Jasmin, let me talk!" he exclaimed. I opened my mouth to say something, then closed it again. "You and Sydni are not the reason we are moving, although your mom is making it look that way. Don't think of it like that. The reason we are moving is because I got promoted." he said

Suddenly all the thoughts of Sydni went away. Dad had such a crappy job. Now that he got promoted, I was so happy for him. "Congrats!" I screamed and hugged him.

"I'm just sorry," he said glumly, "I must be making your life miserable."

Just then a huge lump grew in my throat. I didn't know what to say to him. My eyes grew watery and I began to sob. I hugged him again. "It's okay Daddy, If it's for you, then we can move.I'm williing to make a sacrifice." I said.

"The good news is that we are only moving about two states south, so you and Sydni can visit on holiday breaks and during summer. We're moving to New Jersey. We already have a house in Belleville and we just need to sell this one." he explained.

I hugged him one more time and when up to my room to think about it...I could not-and I repeat could not have a long-distance relationship. It was not gonna work out.

This was my penultimate week at school and I had to break up with Sydni sooner or later. I would've chosen later, but today during lunch it just blurted out during an awkward silence, "We have to break up." I said.

"I understand."she replyed.

Surprisingly, she took the news well.

"We'll still be best friends." she said with a smile on her flawless face. I smiled back at her. I loved her so much. She was the only friend Victor an I had. I guessed this move wasn't going to be so bad because I knew I would always be thinking about her and we would be keeping in touch for sure...

I stood on the front lawn of our small house. It was so small. But luckily, I had my own room because I was the only girl. I had so many memories in that room, that itty-bitty room. I'd lived there my whole life and it was going to be so hard to leave the past.

"It's time to say goodbye."Dad whispered to me after loading the last thing onto the car.

A tear slid down my face as I turned around I saw Sydni's beautiful face. I remembered all the good times we'd spent together since we met.

"I guess this is goodbye."I said.

"It is NOT goodbye." she said, "It's more of a 'see you later'."

I giggled. She always knew how to make me laugh. I hugged her and she gave me a peck on the cheek as a goodbye kiss.

I ran to the car, not wanting to see anymore of her that would make me even more sad. I slammed the door and waved goodbye to my beloved Sydni.