The Dichotomy of Life and Choice

Differences

As we made our way down the hill to parliament house, we noticed the protestors gathered in the city weren’t alone, there were police everywhere! I wonder what this could be about...
“Oi! You there!”

“Now calm down mate!”

“You can’t do this!”

“I won’t tolerate that behaviour!”

“I can’t believe this!”

“That is disgraceful!”

“Okaaay then, maybe we should turn back. That picnic sound like a great idea...”

“No way Aimee! Are you scared? Let’s go see what this is about!”

“I really don’t think that’s a good idea Carys, I mean the police are having a hard enough time controlling then as it is.”

“But don’t you wanna know what it is about? You don’t get crowds this big everyday. It must be something huge.”

“Then we’ll hear about it tonight on the news!”

“What’s your point?”

“My point?”

“Yes Aimee, your point.”

“I don’t like this one bit, that’s all.”

“OH MY GOD!” I said as I pointed into the crowd.

“What?!”

“Alina!”

“Where?”

“There! In the crowd, holding that sign.”

We ran the rest of the way down; we couldn’t believe that Alina was really there so we had to get a closer look. “Alina! Alina!”

“You can’t do this!” said Gwen.

“Yeah, think about the life of your unborn child, its murder!” retorted Alina.

“Alina?” asked Aimee, she wasn’t quite sure if it was her, she’d never seen her like this before.

“Hi guys, have you come to protest?”

“What? Oh no, we were just wondering what was going on.” Aimee answered.

“They’re trying to make Abortion legal, can you believe it?!”

“Umm Alina? Why are you here, you said you had something else to do, that’s why you
couldn’t come to the city with us.” I had to find out why she deserted us.

“Oh yeah, about that. Gwen told me about this this morning and I couldn’t miss it. Sorry Carys.”

“But we had been planning this for months!”

“I know, but like I said, something important came up.”

“Yeah, and I’m a monkeys’ uncle.”

“Come on Carys, I told you I was sorry.”

“Did you know that that woman’s baby has fingernails?” said Gwen, pointing to a pregnant woman in the distance.

“What the hell!”

“It’s a true fact.”

“Look Gwen, I don’t think this girl actually cares.” declared Alina. I’d had enough of this.

“I’m outta here. Aimee, you coming?”

“Umm, sure. See you Alina, nice meeting you Gwen!”

***

“Can you believe her?!”

“Look Carys. I think you’ve got to face the facts.”

“What facts? What are you talking about?”

“Alina...She’s slipping away.”

“I guess I should have seen that coming, the people she hangs around with, know wonder
she’s ashamed of us.”

“I wouldn’t say ashamed Carys, but she has different friends at school, and she’s in a different crowd. She’s not into the same things she used to be.”

“You can say that again.”

“Come on; let’s go see what’s showing at the pictures, I hear there’s a new Batman movie showing.”