Status: Finished.

The "Family" Secret

The Beginning

My back was to the door; my breathing was more like a cough. I kept my eyes closed until the banging at the door stopped. I finally got my breathing to a regular, the banging stopped, and I opened my eyes. My 7th grade classroom was where I was least expecting to be. I had finished the 7th grade 18 years ago, and didn't want to remember what it was like. Even though the classroom was empty, I wasn't alone, I never was. I walked around the classroom, entirely forgetting why I was there in the first place. The door banged again, “Why doesn't that thing just give up?” I sighed and walked back over to the door. “What's the password?” I asked, and got a grunt in reply. “I'm sorry your answer is incorrect.” I pushed the door back and sent it flying into the lockers across the hallway. I sighed and walked over to the broken door and the monster behind it. I kicked away the broken pieces of wood, picked up the door and threw it down the hallway, out the door, and into the trees behind them. “Great, more things to pay for.”
I looked at the monster, it was obviously thirsty, its eyes were deep red. It's skin a pale white. It just grunted and squirmed like a fish out of water. “Why do I always have to be the one to do this?” I could feel someone behind me. I turned around and saw Pete, “You get this one, I'm too tired of this.” I looked past him at the broken window, “Nice entrance” he just grinned and picked up the animal and put him on his back. He looked back at me, “Were keeping this one.” He said with a grin. I just smiled and let out a playful laugh.
We started walking towards the school parking lot. “Did you bring the Mercedes or the Corvette?”, “Mercedes” he replied. I skipped so that we were side by side. “So where are we going to put him?”, I pointed to the half-dead monster on his back. “In your lap of course.” he replied with a playful smile and a chuckle. I playfully hit his arm trying hard not to bruise it, even though it would only last for a few minutes. “So, where's Micheal at?” I stopped walking, I was worried about Micheal, he hadn't appeared for the past week, I was getting lonely. “How'd you know he wasn't here?” He smiled “You act different when he's here.” was all he said and started walking again. I just stood there for a while, and then started running to catch up. We both were wondering what to do about the monster, even though it would be dead soon, where were we going to keep it? The Mercedes was a dark red, redder then the monsters eyes. It was a Christmas present from our “father” Ryan. He wasn't really our father, but the only one that would give us a home. Which I was surprised he did, until I learned that he was like us, I was only 13 when we moved in with him, and Pete was 14. Ryan taught us to use our gifts, to control them, not to waste them for fun, that it could dangerous. If Ryan hadn't seen us that cold day, on the side of the street, we would be dead.
When we got in the car, Pete immediately stepped out. He looked out into the distance, to the woods. “Great” I thought “What now.”
I grabbed the monster off of his back, which I don't think he noticed, he didn't even move, and put him in the back seat. I waved my hand in front of his face, he didn't even blink.
“Ok let's go then.” I started walking towards the woods. I jumped over the baseball fence, and when I got to the pitchers mound, Pete appeared in front of me. “Finally.” I said, “I thought you would be there for the next five years, what’d you see?” His face got serious, “We can't go, not right now, we have to come back later.” He walked past me and started towards the car, he was in a hurry. I had learned not to ask the question “Why?” to him anymore, most of the time he wouldn't tell me, he would say something like “You don't need to know”, or “It doesn't matter”. This time I knew it was different.
“Pete, tell me what you saw” He just kept on walking. I jumped and landed in front of him, only feet in front of him. “Pete, tell me.” I was serious, most of the time I would say it like a whining baby, this time I kept my cool. He just sighed; he looked down at the ground. “Fine.” I said, “I'm going” He looked up into my eyes. “That's not going to stop me you know”. I started to make my way to the other end of the fence, on my way I lifted my wrist up to my mouth and bit. It didn't hurt anymore, for the past two months Ryan taught me to bite it just right so that it wouldn't keep bleeding so that it barely stung. “Nicole, don't” I was now reading his thoughts; he obviously knew I drank my blood, or either he would've said that aloud.
I stopped and turned around; he was still in the same spot, on the pitchers mound. “You can't do this now, it's not the right time, trust me this time, just this once.” You could see it in his eyes that he didn't want me to go. I didn't need to read his thought to know what he was thinking.
I jumped back to the Mercedes, he quickly followed. “We need to tell Ryan first.” I got in the car, the monster was gone. “Fuck, Pete, Fuck!” I slammed the door shut. Even though I didn't want to keep the monster, it meant that we would see it again, and destroying the school was pointless He just got in the car anyways. Once again he quickly jumped out. I was pacing in the parking lot while he had his vision. “He's here.” he said, “Tell Ryan ...now, it's serious.” I knew he meant that the monster was still here, and if they got away they usually brought friends, a lot of them, stronger then they ever could be.
“Why, We can do this ourselves, We've done this before?” I knew he wouldn't respond, I bite my wrist again and searched for Ryan, he was home. “Ryan, come now, Pete's having strange visions.” I could see him look up, his face looked worried. “Were at the school.” Seconds later, Ryan appeared.
I was feeling weak, two bitings in less then five minutes wasn't what I was used to. I sat on the grass under a tree; the shade helped me feel better. Ryan was talking to Pete, they were both waving there arms, Ryan turned and started pacing. I was too weak to hear there conversation, and too weak to get up.
I felt a breeze on my neck, “Micheal!” I shrieked. I looked behind me and there he was, not hurt one bit. I immediately felt better and stood up. I felt a little woozy but didn't care, I hadn't seen Micheal for a week. I could feel eyes staring at my back. I held up a finger to Micheal, and started walking towards my family. I hugged Ryan from the back, “Micheal's here” I whispered in his ear. “Good.” was all he said. Pete heard what I said and his immediately face lit up. “Where?” he whispered. “By the trees.” I pointed to where I was sitting, and then turned to Ryan. “I think that he's like my potion?” I whispered in his ear, I had told Ryan before about how whenever Micheal appears, I immediately feel better.
“I'm glad to hear that” Ryan said, “But now we need to go, someone reported the noise and we need to go before the police get here and see us.” “Ok, umm how 'bout Micheal and I trail behind you guys?” I looked down, “Is that ok?”
I looked up to see his expression. It looked normal, not shocked, or mad. So I took that as a yes. “Ok see you guys at the house then?” Ryan nodded; I turned around and started walking towards Micheal. Pete appeared in front of me and hugged me, “You better not trail off again, that wasn't funny.” I giggled, “Sorry, I promise I won't, I love you.” “I love you too.” he replied, and then Ryan and him vanished. “'K let's go” I grabbed Micheal's hand, he immediately materialized. I gasped and let go of his hand, “I'm sorry.”
Micheal wasn't supposed to materialize, the only time he was supposed to was when Ryan was teaching him to control it, but Ryan didn’t really mind. I was the only one who could see him when he was invisible, one of my many powers. “It's okay.” He let out a laugh, and grabbed my hand, “I think I can control it right now.” I smiled, I felt something on my arm, and I looked up. It started to rain, “I'm glad your back” “Me too” he replied, and we started running home.