Status: Finished.

The "Family" Secret

Protective.

I walked through the door and slammed it shut. I wanted to be alone, but I also wanted to be home at the same time. I was walking into the kitchen as Ryan walked through the door.
“Why didn’t you tell us!” I yelled at him. Ryan looked at me and yelled “I wasn’t completely sure! I didn’t want to worry you for no reason!”
“You need to tell us these things Ryan! Pete and I could’ve got hurt!” I screamed as Pete walked in the door.
“You knew?” he asked to Ryan as if it was a secret. Ryan didn’t answer, so I did for him.
“He’s known for a while, he didn’t even think about telling us.” I said to Pete disappointingly as I gave a sad look to Ryan.
The room got silent. For all the years the three of us had been together, nothing like this had happened before. Ryan had been put in many difficult situations, he always handled them carefully. I don’t think he made the right decision this time though.
“None of it makes sense Ryan.” I whispered as I walked towards the door to leave. I was hoping Pete would come with me, but I wasn’t sure if he would. “It’s not safe-” Ryan started to tell me. “Oh, so now you care!” I yelled at him, “You’re such a joke.” I whispered under my breath as I shut the door behind me.
I needed to be alone, nothing was making sense. I felt like emptying my head, clearing my mind, but I didn’t want to forget about what had happened. I needed to figure out why Ryan kept that from us; why we met Frank in the first place.
Vampires weren’t what they used to be.
Back in the 1700’s we were violent to each other, but that ended by the 1800’s. We didn’t mean to change people into vampires at first, it just happened when we quit sucking their blood too early from their bodies. Eventually all of the “bad” vampires started making clans, and by 1856, us vampires had a war on our hands.
From all over the world, vampires came to Eugene, Oregon for the fight.
The “good” side had more bodies on their side, it was obvious to many that we would be victorious, but of course the “bad” vampires didn’t think so. They fought with us all day long, as the sun rose, and until the sun would set.
Back then no one knew about the black magick, all we could do was hope that we had enough people to kill off the other side, I prayed that we would last that long.
If the other side had won, there might not be any normal humans left.
---
Pete followed me outside, I told him to leave me alone as I ran away.
I wasn’t sure if he was following me, but I could sense somewhat of a presence from him, wether it was physically him or if it was just his mind following me.
Suddenly, the thought that Micheal had something to do with all of this came to my mind. I never knew why he had left, or the reason why we let him come in the first place.
---
I was running to Portland, it was easy to let your mind go free there.
---
Pete and Ryan didn’t like going to Portland, they said that sometimes there was too much violence, but I didn’t care. I could take care of myself.
I was planning on going to the 3D Center of Art and Photography, I hadn’t been there for years. Last time I had went was with Micheal, I hadn’t known him for that long, but I felt like we were getting a connection that day.
---
Then it hit me.
Ryan! Ryan! I yelled to him. Remember the monster? The monster that was at the school, and at the house? You said the rest were going to Washington, Frank was with them!
I wasn’t one-hundred precent sure that what I was exclaiming to Ryan was correct, but everything just sort of started to make sense to me.
I still didn’t know why Micheal left though...
I didn’t get a quick respond, but I was hoping that Ryan would think about it, maybe even tell Pete about what I had said if he was still around.
I lost the feeling of wanting to be alone, now I just wanted to talk to Pete and Ryan so I could get things figured out.
That does make sense. Was all Ryan replied.
Pete, you hear that? I asked him. I didn’t get an answer.
Where’s Pete? I asked Ryan as I was still running.
He was after you? I thought he would’ve caught up by now? Ryan replied.
Shit. I mumbled to myself.
I stopped running and waited for Pete to appear.
“Pete, come on!” I yelled. He still wasn’t coming.
Ryan, he’s not coming. I told him as I still waited for Pete to appear.
Something must be wrong then.
But before Ryan could tell me anymore, I was running back the way I came in look for Pete. You shouldn’t go looking though, not by yourself.
I stopped and rolled my eyes. Hurry up then Ryan.
So much was happening, I don’t think I was even aware of everything that had been, and still was occurring. As I stood and waited for Ryan, I tried to put things together, as if everything was just a puzzle.
Micheal left, he didn’t give any warning. He was gone when I awoke. We met Frank not too long after that, he seemed nice, I guess none of us knew him that well. Ryan seemed like he was keeping something, which I’m still suspicious of. I just don’t know what else he could be keeping from me. Pete was missing, but he had no reason or excuse to leave.
I felt something delicately brush the back of my right shoulder; instantaneously I turned around, ready to hit whatever it was. Nothing was there.
“Pete?” I whispered, as I started to look around. I didn’t sense Pete’s energy, it couldn’t have been him. It’s difficult to pick up on a new energy that you’ve never felt before, or one that you haven't felt for a long time. I didn’t sense any energy at all around me.
The brush on my shoulder had startled me, I was starting to get a little nervous.
Then, a could of dust started to become visible beside me. Even with all of the other weird and terrifying things I had experienced in my life, seeing that could of dust materialize looked quite sinister to me.
I wanted to turn and run, but the energy that the cloud was inflicting on me was brilliant, even remarkable.
A spirit?
I was mesmerized by the energy, I wanted to wait and see what this could of dust became.
Suddenly I felt someone’s energy, but I was too focused on the dust to become aware of who’s it was.
“Nicole...” It was Ryan.
I was almost startled by his voice. I instantly turned to him. “What?” I asked.
“Pete’s gone.”