Status: Finished.

The "Family" Secret

Snow Day

I was almost to Spokane, I had to keep running to keep my mind off of Micheal, but Ryan's words kept coming back to my mind.
“Micheal left, and he's not coming back. Nicole I'm so sorry.”
I wiped my tears as I ran. Why would he just leave, we could've talked about it, he didn't even say a word to me about it?”
Micheal had left because he noticed how much less-confident I was battling while he was “home”, that I was less powerful, I could've been doing better, and he assumed that it was him. And I guess that it was him, I was fine at the school, but with the fiend, I couldn't do it, and the monster... the monster, it was obvious he it had something to do with it. He just left, my best friend, left without a goodbye. His last words to me, "I love you.” made me cry, and even more confused then before. If he loved me than why did he leave?
I didn't know where I was going, I wanted Micheal back. I didn't know where he was, he didn't tell Ryan, nor Pete. He could be dead for all I knew! I believed in Micheal, I thought that we could've learned together, grown stronger together. He made those thoughts drift and fade away.
I was now entering Spokane, all there was were trees for five miles then you couldn't not see them. I decided to stop and rest behind a tree, think about things. I stopped and laid under the biggest tree I could find. I stared up into the darkness, the bright stars, the full moon. I sighed. I thought of Micheal, when we first found him, flashbacks started running through my head. I couldn't cry anymore, I couldn't let myself fall apart. I need to talk to him. Know why he left, why he didn't tell me. I need to know where he is.
I stood up and started making my way back to Portland.
I got back in the early morning, not even tired one bit, which was nice for a change. All of the cars were still in the driveway, the house still looked empty from the outside. Ryan wanted it that way, made less people come to our doorstep. I walked past the Jaguar, Corvette, and the Mercedes, and onto the deck. I opened the door, Ryan and Pete were sitting at the counter. They didn't really even acknowledge me, I didn't really think that I wanted them to anyways. I walked over and sat next to them anyways, “Hey.” I said as I waved at both of them. I got waves from both of them and a “Hi.” from Pete, but not from Ryan. An awkward silence filled the house, and all of our minds. No one was speaking, thinking, or even moving. I didn't think that they knew what to do, did they hug me, say there sorry, ignore me and just leave me alone? They had no clue, and to tell you the truth, neither did I. Was I supposed to be looking for him, crying over him, or getting over him? The thought that he was coming back filled my mind many times that day. And it always almost immediately went away, he wasn't coming back.
“Nicole,” Ryan started to say, but I immediately started crying. I leaned my head to his chest, and started to sob, “Why?” I asked, trying to be as clear as I could through my sobs, “Why did he leave Ryan?” I threw my fist against his chest, “Why?” “Nicole.” was all that he could say, he was clueless of what to do, “I'm sorry.” he ran his fingers through my hair. I sat there for a while, my head to his chest. I soon fell asleep.
When I woke up I was in my bed, Pete was looking out the window. It was snowing. I groaned, and turned away from the window. I tried to fall back asleep, but I couldn't. Usually I could fall asleep whenever I wanted but now that Micheal was gone I wasn't tired anymore. I groaned again and turned back towards the window. Pete was still looking out the window. He turned towards me, “Get up, we're going out to play.” he said with no emotion.
I got up and ran down the stairs, I figured that there was no reason to be depressed over something that I couldn't change. Micheal did what he thought was right, he always knew what to do. I figured that I would move on and completely forget about it all, even though I knew that it would take some time.
I ran past Ryan, kissing him on the cheek before I walked out the door. I didn't want either of them to think that I was hurt, I didn't want them to worry. Since I was the youngest they always worried about me, not that I ever disliked that, but today wasn't one of the days that I wanted them to worry. I was fine.
I walked out the door and into the freezing weather. Snow immediately hit my face, and went into my mouth. Pete was already making a snowman, taller then he would ever grow to be. I picked up a handful of snow and chucked it at him. Even though he was all the way on the other side of the yard, it hit him and sounded like thunder. Sometimes I really liked that I had super strength. The snow hit his back, he immediately picked up a handful of snow and chucked it back at me. I ducked, but ducked too late, it hit the top of my head. It probably looked like I had really bad dandruff. We both started laughing and fell onto the blanket of snow, covering our once beautiful grassy yard. I got up, and started rolling snow to help Pete with his giant snowman. I rolled it all the way until I stood right in front of Pete. I picked it up and handed it to him, and he placed it on top of the already 5 foot giant snow ball. I ran in the house and grabbed some clothes to put on the huge snowman. I returned to Pete with a black and blue scarf, top hat, which his from Ryan's old days, and an over sized sweatshirt that I found on the floor. The only thing that didn't fit was the sweatshirt, and all Pete had to do was rip it with his teeth to make it fit.
“This is fun.” I said, placing the over sized sweatshirt on the snowman. “Yeah ,I wished that it snowed all year long.” he replied, taking a step back, admiring the tall piece of art we had just finished. It was getting darker outside and it was barely noon, they wind picked up, and it stung our faces. We never really got cold, but we could sense when it got hot or cold around us. We stayed outside, laughing, throwing snow at each other. Ryan came out hours later, surprised by our snowman's size. He closed the door and walked out by my side. “Snow ball fight?” he asked casually. I looked at Pete, he looked excited. “Why not?” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “Are we having teams?” asked Pete. “Well I don't see how we can do that, unless it's you two against me?” replied Ryan. I ran to Pete's side, and put my arm on his shoulder, “Fine, let's do this.” I said.
Pete and I had the side closest to the driveway, Ryan was closer to the house. Even though Micheal wasn't there, I didn't need him to have fun. We decided that it didn't matter if we played fair. Pete took Ryan by surprise and started hitting him from the back while I hit him from the front. But Ryan never gave up. We decided that none of us could use Black Magick, but since none of us were playing fair, Ryan used the Magick.
A blizzard broke loose, obviously from Ryan. It made it so that Pete nor I could see. Ryan circles both of us and made it so that we were back-to-back. He then made it rain heavily on just us. We were already wet from the snow, but this was torture, nobody liked getting wet. The blizzard immediately cleared, we both looked at Ryan. A car was driving up our driveway.
Ryan walked past us towards the car. A man who looked like a trooper got out of the car. He had one of those hats, that are in the shape of a cowboy hat, but it's a brown color. He had a jacket that was like the police wear except it said “State trooper” on his patch. He carefully walked over to us, looking down, obviously scared to fall down into the snow.
“Is everybody ok here?” he asked. He looked intimidated by us. Pete and I looked at each other, puzzled looks took over our faces. We then looked at Ryan, he nodded. He glanced back at us, “Yes, were perfectly fine?” he said confused. “The roads are blocked, and it's below freezing out here, the troopers are scouting the area, making sure that people have what they need.” He then looked at Pete and I, he looked disgusted. “Are you all new to the area?” the trooper asked. “No, we've lived here for years now.” Ryan said, “We don't get out much.” continued Pete. I was going to ask him if he wanted to come inside, but then remembered that I should leave that to Ryan. “Well,” said the trooper, “You should get inside, it's too cold for people to be outside.” he said turning around. “Thank you.” said Pete, before the trooper got in the car.
We all watched him drive down our long driveway. When he finally was gone I asked, “Should we really go inside?” I turned towards Ryan. “We haven't finished the fight yet, it was just getting good.” said Pete, obviously insisting that we stay outside. Ryan turned towards the house, “Well the powers out, and I don't see why we can't stay outside?” he said picking up a snowball. “Yes!” said Pete, running to the trees and shaking them to drop off the snow. I ran over to the tree and picked up the snow, made it into a ball and started throwing them at Ryan, Pete did the same.