Mas Flow

I began a prosperous career in a ballet studio. What you have to understand, though, is that I do not dance ballet anymore. No, my dear, I am part of the world of street dancers. I compete for a title and for good money. This may go somewhere, but then again it may not. Now, you may be asking, how does a girl go from a dance studio to the streets? Money. It makes the world go round and keeps dance teachers happy. When my father left my mom when I was ten, we started running out of money very quickly. Even with my mom holding down two jobs, she couldn’t keep the head dance teacher off her back. We were forced on the streets by the landlord. On a payphone my mom called her sister who lived in Florida. She gave us a place to stay.

My name is Zuleika Sanchez and I am fifteen years old. You should get to know me. I dance and sing. Don’t ask me to sing in public or I’ll turn red. I only sing in the choir of my church. I only dance with my crew. Showing off to strangers is never something I’ve done alone. We dance on the streets, in front of malls and stores, just to show off how creative this generation can be. Futuristic. That’s our wack name. You would have to see us dance to understand the name I guess. We dress in bright colors. The usual “uniform” is a black shirt with neon writing, black or dark skinny or baggy jeans, black sneakers with neon colors, black fitteds with "Futuristic" in bright blue, black aviator sunglasses, and a bandana tied around our necks of our own color choice. That’s fire right?
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.