Mas Flow

3.

The sun was going down by the time we had left the cafe. Masumi was munching on one of the pastelillos that Del's girlfriend Marisol had brought in for him. I had scoffed mine down too fast to taste it. My thoughts had clouded my mind so much that I couldn't even see where I was going. A bike almost ran me over. Luckily, Masumi pulled me out of the way and into a tree. She was strong!

"What the?" I looked to the spot where I had been. On a black bike with blue flame art was some black sagged skinny jeans, a tight red shirt with Chinese characters on top of a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. His skin was bronzed by the sunset's light. My eyes traveled up to be met by a pretty face.

This boy was gorgeous! I wanted to scream for victory. He had such perfect lips and small button nose with almond shaped eyes. His hair was spiked into a mohawk with blue tips. I was pretty sure he didn't go to our school.

"Maybe you should watch where you're going!" snapped Masumi.

The boy gave her a weird look then he smiled, "Aw, Su, you don't remember me?"

"Why would I remember such a reckless person?" She crossed her arms and jutted her hip.

"You remember Jae?"

Masumi softened her expression for a moment. She came to a realization by sucking in air. She let out a tiny scream and ran to the boy on the bike. They hugged like old friends. I stared. Masumi was so lucky. This is why I was always jealous of her.

"Jae," she breathed, "this is my friend Zuli. Well, her full name is Zuleika but everybody calls her Zuli."

"Why?" he gave her a weird face. "I like Zuleika. Sounds exotic." He smiled at me.
I blushed. Thank God I was under the tree and no light was in my face. To be nice I smiled back.

Masumi looked at me for a second. I could see by her face that she was plotting. A smile crept on her face.

"What are you doing here anyway Jae?"

He shrugged, "My aunt called me to go over."

"Oh, does she still live in the same house?"

He nodded.

"Then walk with us. Zuli lives a block away from her house."

He smiled at me again, "You can get away from the tree now. I'm not gonna run you over."

I walked out of the shadow of the tree very embarrassed. Masumi linked arms with me. She winked and nodded her head in the direction of Jae. You see, I had been put between Jae's bike and Masumi. I looked to my left and found Jae staring at me. He gave me a smile. I almost melted. He was so hott.

"Why were you going the wrong way?" Masumi asked.

"I like running into pretty girls," he bumped his elbow on my arm.

I smiled at him. Masumi's plan was clear. He was meant to be my distraction