Love Me Like You Did Before

Anthony & Pat

I ran downstairs, avoiding the nervous looks of customers and Peter's calls of my name. I felt like tearing out my own hair. What are they doing here?!

Oh, God. Tina was talking about the gig here?! I am so stupid! go figure that I'm the last one to know that, and I'm the one who works here?! Ironically insane!

I ran tot he bar, "Hey, Anthony. Can I get some XXX and lemonade Vitamin Water?" I jumbled up.

He raised an eyebrow, "Uhm, sure. How many? One of each?"

"No," I shook my head. "Five of each."

He leaned over the counter, his brown locks spilling into his face as he did, "What the hell do you intend on doing with ten bottles of Vitamin Water? Are you trying to drown yourself in it as some sick, twisted form of suicide?"

I rolled my eyes and motioned for him to give me the bottles, "Of course not. Just give them to me!"

He placed them in a plastic bag and held it above his head, "I'm not handing you this bag until you thoroughly what you are going to do with its contents."

I grunted then softened my expression, "I'm giving them to--" I gulped, "The Maine."

"They asked for all this? Do they want to over dose on this stuff?"

I rolled my eyes, "No."

"Then how do you know what flavors they like?" He folded his arms across his chest after placing the bag in front of him.

I let out a frustrated sigh, "I just know, ohkay?"

He smirked. I knew that he expected more of an answer like that out of me.

"Do you really need to know this?" I said as I copied him by crossing my arms.

He thought about it then nodded, "Yep, kinda."

I placed both hands on the table in front of me to refrain from slapping that smirk off his face, "They're just old friends, alright?"

He nodded slowly, "Go on."

"Ugh," I sighed. "I just don't want to run into any of them so I''m getting everything that I am positive they would want before they can get the chance to see me."

He raised his eyebrows again, silently gesturing for me to continue.

I began to pace. Honestly, I didn't know what to tell him.

"Wait; why wouldn't you want to see them if they're old friends? Isn't this a good thing?" He finally asked.

I scratched my head, "I guess you could say that."

He leaned forward, "What did you do?" He said in a hushed voice. He looked around the venue then turned to me again, "Did you sleep with one of them?"

I shuddered at the thought, "No, I left before I could really get the chance."

I jumped out of my skin as he busted out laughing.

"Shut up!" I yelled. I forcefully covered his mouth as I jumped behind the bar beside him.

He lowered my hand while simultaneously holding in his laughter.

Anthony was a very persistent man with a cute face who I am ashamed to call my co-worker and sadly my closest friend in the place. Well, aside from Jake. He really isn't a friend just a... Flirtatious boss, if you will. Anthony, I call him Tony sometimes, and I had always considered dating a couple of times. But, surprisingly in both of our perspectives, we decided that we'd be better off as friends. Our relationship was more of a brother-sister type relationship than a boyfriend-girlfriend type thing.

"I had a fling with the lead singer, and that is all you need to know," I said, breathing in deeply to lower my blood pressure.

"So," he began to say, no longer with his chuckling tone. "What exactly do you plan on doing during the next seven hours that does not involve bumping into your former lover?-- Who, by the way, should be appearing on that stage latest this evening."

I covered my hands while leaning my elbows on the bar table, "I really don't know." I exhaled a long breath. "I'd rather give them what I know they will ask for then leave." I looked around the empty venue, "Oh, shit."

"What?" Anthony looked around."

I ducked down under the bar and grabbed his sleeve. I pulled him down with me as the pin straight brown hair with a matching P+T sign came into view, "Hide me!"

"Why?!"

"He can't see me!"

"Who?!"

"Pat!"