I Meant What I Said

Talk To You Later?

Bree checked her phone for the seventh time in the last twenty minutes. She sat behind her makeshift desk and wondered why he still hadn't called. This was turning into a routine for her. Every day before they left school, he hugged her and said, "I'll talk to you later”, but he never did. She would wait hours on end for him to text or call, anything that said he kept his word. She looked again for the eighth time and there was still nothing.

Discouraged, she got up, pushed her chair in, and walked over to her bed. She sat down and wondered what she had done for them to end this way. Bree looked around her room for a brief second before deciding that a shower would help her clear her mind. She grabbed her pajamas and walked into the bathroom. She slipped out of her clothes and stepped into the shower. The water burned against her scalp but it was refreshing. She knew she was still there because she could feel it getting hotter. She turned down the temperature and let the water run over her head.

“Please just come hang out with me after school, only for an hour. I'm begging you Bree.” That was all Jamie had to say to get her to change her mind. It was the second week of sophomore year and she had been waiting to hang out with him for the entire summer. It had been too long since things had gone bad. She convinced herself it was a simple misunderstanding and she decided to give him another chance.

“Okay, Jamie, I'll come hang out with you.” She gave him a small smile to let him know she was in it. He smiled back at her and she got butterflies all over again. She missed the way he used to look at her. She would have given anything for him to look at her like that just one more time.

Tuesday came faster than she had anticipated. She gathered her things when the bell rang and walked to her locker. She was there for no longer than two minutes, just after sliding her history book into it's designated spot, when he walked down the hallway. She felt her heart melt when he looked at her. She didn't know why she was getting herself into this all over again. But this time, it just felt right.

Jamie waited for her to finish gathering her things and he grabbed her tote from her. “I'll carry this today,” he said with a smile, “it looks really heavy.” Bree smiled as she realized that Jamie was back to his old self. They walked quietly down to the cafeteria where the drill team was practicing. Jamie put his things down on the table and motioned for her to do the same. She set her things down and sat down. He walked over and sat next to her. A few moments later, his best friend Chase walked in and sat across right across from Jamie.


Bree hadn't realized she was still standing under the shower head with the water still pouring down over her. She hadn't let herself think about Jamie and everything that happened in a while. It felt refreshing. She shampooed her hair and rinsed it out.

“Hey Jamie!”

“Oh, hey Chase. What are you doing here?”

“I just thought I could hang out with you two for a while. I've wanted to meet Bree for a while, ever since you started talking about her.” Bree felt herself blush and she turned away from Jamie so he wouldn't see her. He had been talking about her? What was she getting herself into?

“Oh. Well, this is Bree, I guess.” Jamie looked like he didn't want Chase around. Bree was surprised. Lately, Jamie seemed to be spending all his free time with Chase; they were inseparable.

“Nice to meet you, Bree. In case you didn't know, I'm Chase Daniels.” Bree smiled at him. She paused for a moment.

“Hi Chase. I guess you already know all about me, since Jamie seems to like to talk about me.” Bree turned towards Jamie and gave him a small smile. He seemed embarrassed and turned away quickly. “Well, Chase, I'm Bree Addison, but I bet you already knew that. Uh, I don't know what else to say.” Bree left it at that.

Chase turned to Jamie and started talking. “Man, I can't give you a ride home today, I have to work in half an hour.”

Jamie looked as if he was getting annoyed with Chase, but he kept the conversation going. “Don't worry about it, my aunt is coming to get me later. How long did you say you're staying until?”

Chase looked at him and smiled. “Well. I guess that's my queue to go then.” Chase grabbed his bag and started to walk away. “It was nice officially meeting you Bree Addison.” He stood with his arms open, expecting a hug. Bree walked up to him and gave him a hug. “Thanks, Bree. I don't really know you, but I'm expecting I will pretty soon.” He smiled at her and walked out of the cafeteria.

Bree looked at Jamie, confused. “What was that all about?”

Jamie just smiled at her. “How about we take a walk?” Bree smiled as he got up and started walking with her. They walked around the school campus for only a few minutes when Jamie started walking closer. As they were nearing the cafeteria doors again, Jamie got her in a surprise tickle attack. Bree was nervous. What was he doing? Had he not learned after all of this time?

The two of them walked back into the cafeteria. They walked back over to their table and sat across from each other. Jamie looked like he was thinking about something. Every time she asked, he said it was nothing, that he just was thinking about doing something.

Bree's stomach flipped. She wanted to know what he was thinking. She hoped it was something about her; she had wanted him for so long. Every other time, it never worked, but this time seemed different. She knew it could work this time. Finally, Bree looked at Jamie. “Spill.”

Jamie smiled. “Fine, fine, fine. I can't hide anything from you anyways.” He looked nervous. She motioned for him to continue. “Well, Bree, uh, I've been thinking about asking your pretty little face out.”


Bree finished in the shower and got out. She was surprised she had let herself think about that day- the day that changed everything. She dried herself off and wrapped herself in her towel. She looked in the mirror. Her reflection was the only thing staring her back. Her ocean-blue eyes, her flawless skin, her blond hair that cascaded slightly down her shoulders. She tied her hair up and slipped out of her towel. She slid into her flannel pants and Boston College t-shirt and walked back to her bedroom. She looked at the clock; it was already 10:30. She felt tired, so she climbed into her bed and gently drifted off to sleep.