I Meant What I Said

Let's Go

Alex gently lifted himself off of Bree, removing his hand from her stomach. The space where his hand had been felt cold to her now, and she half-wished he would put his hand back. He climbed off the bed and grabbed the sweatshirt Bree had been wearing and handed it to here. “Here you go.” He smiled at her. Butterflies all over again. “Let's go downstairs. My dad's going to get pissed.” She picked herself off the bed, straighten her shirt. She walked over to her mirror and fixed her headband and brushed her bangs to the side of her face.

“Okay. Let's go.” He walked out of the door and hit the light switch. Bree followed close behind, hoping she didn't lose him and get lost in his mansion of a house. He walked down the stairs to the landing where they had first come into the house. Bree looked around, not believing her eyes. There was art on the walls and statues of Greek gods and goddesses all around her.

He pulled her into the living room. It was twice the size of the one at her house! She looked all around, not even seeing Alex's dad and sister. She was startled when he began talking. “Evening Alex. Have a good day?”

“Yeah.”

“Everything go alright at school?”

“Yeah, it did. I got good classes.” Bree was surprised about how vague he was with his father's questions.

“Who's your new friend?”

“This is Bree. Bree Addison.”

“Nice to meet you, Bree. I'm Gary Denvin, but you can just call me Gary.”

“Really nice to meet you, Gary. Your house is unbelievable.” Bree was trying to be polite as possible.

His dad looked back at Alex, who looked uncomfortable. “Alex, have you already eaten dinner? Natalie and I were thinking Chinese, but if you want something else, we can get that.” Bree hadn't even remembered that Alex's little sister was in the room. She looked around and saw her sitting on the couch.

Natalie looked just like Alex's father. She had dark brown braids in her hair and she had a round face. Her blue eyes were the color of the sky. She couldn't even tell that Alex and Natalie were related; they didn't look the same at all. Bree decided that Alex must have looked like his mother. His hair was a cross between dark blond and sandy brown and his hazel eyes looked nothing like anyone else in his family.

Alex responded to his father's question. “I already ate, Dad. Go ahead and get what you'd like.”

With that, his dad got up and walked into the kitchen. Alex turned to Bree. “Alright, so, I'll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Night.” He walked her to the front door and kissed her. Her legs felt like jelly beneath her.

She started to walk out the door but he grabbed her arm. “Wait! I need your number.” She smiled, excited that he was probably going to text her or call her later. The two exchanged numbers and she left.

“Night, Alex.” She got in her car and drove back to her house. She walked in her front door and let herself in. “Mom! I'm home.” It was already 9.

“Bree, honey. I'm in the living room.” Bree walked into the living room and saw her mom reading a book. She had lit a fire in the fireplace and was wrapped in a blanket.

“Where are the boys?”

“They went upstairs to get ready to go to bed. They had a long day.”

“Okay. Thanks.” Bree grabbed her bag and walked upstairs. She went into the boys' room and said “goodnight” to them. She went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face. She then walked into her room, turned on the light and closed the door.

She threw her bag on the floor next to her desk and walked over to her radio. She slipped her iPod into it and pressed play. All Time Low filled her room and she felt comfortable. She found a pair of PacSun sweats, took off her jeans and slipped them on. She decided to keep Alex's shirt and sweatshirt on. She sat down at her desk and took out her government homework. She worked on that for only about half an hour and she was done. She put her book and notebook back in her bag and turned the light off above her desk.

She reached into her bag and grabbed her phone. Nothing. Maybe he wasn't going to text her tonight. Whatever. It didn't matter. She could survive without talking to him. Bree decided to text Sara instead. Within seconds, she got a reply. “Hey, can I call? I need to know more than what you can write.” Bree replied and Sara called.

The two talked for almost two hours about the day. About Alex, Max, Jamie. Bree could tell Sara absolutely anything. Sara always listened to her, too. No matter how ridiculous or irrational Bree was being, Sara could find a way to break through to her. In the last few minutes of their conversation, Bree remembered that she had never texted Jamie back. She told Sara. Her response was “who cares?” and she left it at that. The girls said goodnight, Bree told Sara she'd pick her up in the morning, same time, same place, and they hung up the phone.

Bree's mother walked into the room. “Just wanted to come say goodnight. I love you, honey.”

“Love you, too, Mom. See you in the morning.” Her mother closed the door and left Bree to herself. She turned on the light beside her bed and walked over to the door and turned off the main light. She climbed into bed and pulled the covers up around her. She turned off her music and her light and gently drifted off to sleep, dreaming of Alex.