I Meant What I Said

Morning, Beautiful

Bree woke up the next morning at 6:45. She walked into the bathroom and closed the door. She took off her clothes and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water engulf her. Today was not going to be a good day, she could just feel it. She had no choice but to face Jamie today. There was no way that another pipe was going to burst and let her be as lucky as she was today. Not a chance.

She finished up her shower and stepped out, wrapping herself in a towel. She looked at the clock on the wall. 7:00 AM. Good, she had enough time to do what she wanted. She walked into her room and opened up her dresser. She grabbed out a navy blue polo shirt, a light purple tank top, some underwear and a bra, and a pair of light wash Bullhead jeans. She put everything on her bed and walked over to her vanity to turn her straightener on. She put on her underwear, bra, tank top and jeans and walked back to the bathroom. She picked up the blow dryer and dried her hair. Walking back into her room, she noticed that her brothers had left her a picture on her door. They were recently into drawing pictures of dinosaurs and this was a picture of her... as a dinosaur. She laughed, picked up the picture and walked into her room. She pinned it up on her bulletin board.

Bree straightened her hair and slipped on a headband. Her bangs fell in her face and she brushed them to the side. She walked back into her room and put on her shirt. She sprayed her raspberry-vanilla body spray on herself and walked out of her room. Walking into the kitchen, she noticed that her mom had cooked again. “Morning, mom. What's the menu for this morning?”

Her mom smiled at her. She was still in her bathrobe and slippers. “Well, we have waffles and strawberries and orange juice.” Her mom loaded a plate for her.

“Thanks. Where are the boys?”

“Still getting dressed.” She laughed. “I swear they get more and more like Nathaniel everyday. He used to take so long to get ready. Longer than you even.” She paused for a minute. “Have you talked to him recently? Is he still coming home this weekend?”

“As far as I know, he is. He said he was going to call me either today or tomorrow so I could go pick him up from the airport.” Her mother smiled. Bree couldn't wait to have Nathaniel around again. She was looking forward to having someone her own age to talk to.

Bree ate her breakfast and then heard the boys run down the stairs. They took their seats at the island and ate their breakfast. When Bree was finished eating, she looked at the clock. It was 7:45/ She had to leave soon. She put her dishes into the sink and walked back upstairs. She brushed her teeth and put on her makeup. She put a thin line of silver eyeliner on, some blue eyeshadow and some blush on her cheeks. She grabbed her chapstick that was sitting on the bathroom counter and slipped it into her pocket. She walked into her room and grabbed her phone. She noticed a new text message from Alex. “Hey, can you give me a ride?” She wrote back and told him she would be there soon to pick him up. She grabbed her bags and walked down the stairs.

Bree slid on her silver flats that were sitting by the door. She hugged her mom goodbye and walked out the door. She slid into the driver's seat and put her iPod into the dock. She put the key into the ignition and The Maine played through her speakers. She hit the button to open the garage door and drove down her driveway. She decided it would be best to get Sara first, then Alex.

The drive to Sara's house was only a few minutes. She pulled into Sara's driveway and beeped the horn. Sara came running out and hopped into the passenger's seat. “You're here early today. You're lucky I was ready.”

“Oh, shut up. I have to pick Alex up, too.” Bree pulled out of Sara's driveway and began driving to Alex's. “Sara, wait until you see his house. It's unbelievable.” It only took her a few minutes to drive from Sara's to Alex's. She pulled into Alex's driveway and beeped her horn. He came running out and looked disappointed when he saw Sara in the passenger's seat. He climbed into the seat behind Sara and Bree drove away.

“Morning, Alex.” She smiled at him. He smiled back.

“Morning, beautiful.” Sara shot Bree a look and Bree smiled and flipped her off. Sara picked up the iPod and started changing songs. She must have gone through twenty songs before deciding on one. “Careless Whisper” played through the speakers. Not the original, but the one by Alex Gaskarth, 3OH!3, and Juliette Sims.

Bree, Sara and Alex sang along until they got to school. It was 8:05. They had ten minutes to get to class. Alex, still unsure of where he was going, wanted Bree to show him so he didn't get lost. They all grabbed their bags and started walking into school. Alex grabbed Bree's hand and she smiled as he led her to the front door. The three walked down the hallway. Alex's first class was chorus. Bree knew he liked to sing, but not that much.

Sara went off to get to government class early to talk to Max for a while. Alex walked with Bree up to her locker to drop of a notebook she didn't need. They still had time before they had to get to class. Bree turned around, so she was facing Alex, and wrapped her arms around his neck. She looked into his eyes and smiled. “What?” he asked. She reached up and kissed him.

“Ready to go?” She grabbed her bags off the floor and he grabbed her hand. They walked down the hall together. Bree got to the end of the hallway before realizing that Jamie had been watching them the entire time. She didn't care though. He broke up with her, right?

The two continued down the hallway, only parting when he needed to go the other way to get to chorus. He smiled at her. “Bye, beautiful.”

Bree walked into government class and sat down right before the bell rang. The only open seat was the same as yesterday- between Sara and Jamie. Great. Mr. MacAlbee was actually on time today so Jamie didn't get a chance to say anything before class started. About halfway through the class, Mr. MacAlbee had to leave to make copies, which took him a good fifteen minutes. Jamie slid his desk over to Bree's. “Way to text me back last night. I waited all night for you to text me.”

“And I waited for you for almost a year,” Bree thought to herself. She decided to answer him. “Yeah, I got caught up with friends. I didn't get home until almost 9.”

Jamie looked pissed. “You could have at least given me the courtesy of a simple text.”

Bree was getting frustrated with him. “Wow, Jamie. Calm down. Jeez. I was busy. Give me a break.”

“We really still need to talk. I hope you don't have plans at breakfast.”

“Not anymore,” Bree thought to herself. If she was saying everything she thought out loud to him, she'd be dead. “Fine. Where do you want me to meet you?”

“Just stay here. We can talk here. Mr. MacAlbee always leaves.” The teacher walked back into the room and handed out their homework for the night. The bell would ring in less than five minutes.

Bree texted Alex so he wouldn't wait up for her at breakfast. “Sorry I have something to take care of at breakfast. I'll see you in web publishing.” She added a smiley face to the end of her text and sent it.

Mr. MacAlbee started talking. “This packet will be due one week from today. I will not accept any late packets. You have plenty of time to do this.” Bree felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She gently slipped it out of her pocket and held it beside her, just out of view of the teacher.

Alex had written back. “Okay. See you after. Everything alright?” It had a worried face beside it.

Bree wrote back quickly. “Yeah, it's just Jamie. Wait for me before the next class.” The bell rang to signal the end of class. Everyone filed out of class except Jamie and Bree. Her stomach was in knots; she was worried sick about what was going to happen.