I Meant What I Said

What Happened To Us?

Jamie sat on top of one of the desks and motioned for Bree to sit near him. Her stomach was in knots about what he was going to say to her. What could possibly be so urgent that he just had to talk to her?

“What do you want Jamie? Don't you think we're a little talked out? I mean, you don't talk to me for what, three months? It's been three months since we broke up Jamie. Three whole months.”

“Bree, just stop. Really just stop. Let me talk for two seconds then you can bitch all you want.”

“Fine.”

Jamie crossed his arms, frustrated by her stubbornness. He sat there for a minute, thinking. Finally, he began. “Okay. So I guess I just, yeah, I don't really know how to say this. Uh, Bree. Well. I'm still in love with you. I want to be with you. I want you back.”

“Jamie, you're too late. I've already moved on.” Bree's mind immediately jumped to Alex and his goofy smile.

“Did you? Did you really move on?”

Bree felt a lump in the back of her throat. She was holding back tears. She didn't like the fact that he could still get to her. “Jamie. You can't just decide all of a sudden that you want me back. It doesn't work like that.”

“Well, why can't it? It's worked before, we could make it work again.”

“It just can't happen again Jamie.”

“Why not?”

“You broke my heart!” The tears started flowing from Bree's eyes.

Jamie looked sorry, sincerely sorry. “This was just a bad situation. Things shouldn't have happened the way they did. We can make it work again. We always fight and make up, it's the way we work.”

“We can't this time. It can't happen.”

“Why can't it? What makes it so different this time?”

“Are you kidding me? This time is completely different. It was just a stupid misunderstanding. It's not a situation that can just be fixed with an 'I'm so sorry'. This, I guess this is it for us.”

“Bree.”

“What? What do you honestly want me to say? Every time before was going to be different because we were never together before. This time, you broke my heart. You're my ex-boyfriend now. You were never my ex before.”

“I'm sorry, Bree. I shouldn't have broken up with you. That's probably the biggest mistake I've ever made. I meant it when I said that I loved you. I still love you. And every day I see you, I want you back. I want us to be the way that we were before.”

“Before is gone. We can't go back to before. Too much has changed, too much has happened.”

“We can start over, Bree. Please, I want this to work between us. I miss you. It kills me to see you everyday with him, Alex. It's killing me. You're all I think about.”

“Can you at least tell me what happened? What is it that changed everything? Why did you break up with me? We were so good together, so good. We could have worked. We could have made it work, together. Just, what happened to us?”

“I don't know. It was stupid, I overreacted.”

“No, Jamie. Tell me what happened. What was the drastic event that made everything between us go bad?” Bree moved her arms to emphasize her words.

“For a split second, I lost my mind. I was scared to death of how I felt about you. I was so in love with you that I just lost my mind. And I don't know what happened. I just freaked out and broke up with you. I regret it everyday.”

“Jamie...” Her talk with Jamie wasn't going the way she had anticipated. She thought he was going to call her out for something, probably Alex, and blame it all on her, again.

“I can apologize time and time again, Bree. I will, if that's what it takes. I still love you.” He walked towards her. She felt her body tense. He put his arms around her and she realized that she was still comfortable with it. It wasn't strained at all. He brushed her hair away from her ear. He whispered, “I love you, Bree. Forever and always. I meant what I said.”

Bree pulled herself out of his embrace and looked into his eyes. He smiled when he saw that she had let her guard down, just a little bit.

Jamie stood up and Bree was still sitting on the desk. He walked closer to her and looked into he eyes. He gently slid his hand around the back of her neck. He leaned down and kissed her. Her stomach dropped as she remembered the way his lips felt against hers. It brought back so many memories. Their first date, their first kiss, the first time he said “I love you”.

She felt his other hand wrap around her back and pull her up so she was standing next to him. He pushed himself closer to her. Her legs felt like she was walking on a cloud.

When he finally pulled away, he looked her in the eyes. “I love you, Bree. More than anything.”

She broke out in tears. “I'm so sorry,” she said as she ran out of the room.