I Meant What I Said

You Busy Tonight?

The next afternoon

The day had dragged on and Bree couldn't wait to get home. As soon as the last bell rang, she grabbed her things and ran to her car. Finally, the weekend. And a long weekend too! Columbus day was Monday so she didn't have to go back to school until Tuesday.

She jumped into her car and put her iPod into the dock. Within seconds, Alex Gaskarth was singing through her speakers. She put the car into gear and started singing along to “The Girl's a Straight-Up Hustler”. She drove out of the school parking lot and onto the main road.

She was in such a good mood. The day went so well. Alex was just the cutest thing she thought she'd ever seen and Jamie finally took the hit and stayed away. Perfection.

“Are you having a good time, sweetheart?”

She decided that today was a good day for a Dunkin Donut's smoothie. She pulled up the drive-through and ordered a small berry smoothie, with whipped cream of course. She pulled up to the window, paid for her drink and drove away.

She drove home and decided to park in the driveway. The garage was really becoming a nuisance. Having to open it and close it whenever she needed to go somewhere was a pain in the ass. She turned off her car, grabbed her drink, bag, phone and iPod and walked into the house. “Nate! I'm home. You here?”

There was no answer. Sweet deal. An afternoon to herself. She kicked off her shoes and left her bag by the front door then ran upstairs to her room. She put her iPod into her radio and listened to the sound of Fall Out Boy. She was in such a good mood. Everything was just working for her.

She put her drink on her desk and put her cell phone next to it. She took off her hoodie and shirt and put on Alex's sweatshirt. It still smelled like him and it made her smile.

She walked over and picked up her drink. It was almost gone. She left it on her desk and went over and lay down on her bed. She thought about Alex and how fast everything was moving between them. She couldn't believe it. Even with Jamie, she had waited for him for so long. And even when they were still together, she felt like she was still waiting for him.

Looking back, she realized she probably should never have even been with him. She probably just should have listened to her friends and stayed away, but there was something about him that was like a magnet. He made her mind go crazy. She knew she wasn't an irrational person at all, but he made her be one. She was one of the most logical people around; all of her friends agreed. But there was just something about Jamie that made her lose her mind.

The more she thought about it, she realized that Alex was making her lose her mind, too. He was all she thought about and she couldn't wait until she could see him again. Her stomach filled with butterflies as she thought about his hands on her stomach or his lips pressed against hers.

All of a sudden, she heard her cell phone go off. She got up and walked over to see who it was. It was a text from Sara. She opened her phone to read it. “Hey, are you busy tonight? We should have a family get together. Invite your new boy. Text me back ASAP!”

Sara always referred to her, Max and Bree as a “family” because they had gotten so close to each other when they first started dated. Sara had once said to her, “When I hang out with you guys, it's not like it's my best friend and my boyfriend. It's like we're all best friends. It's just comfortable.”

Bree texted back. “Sounds great! I'll call Alex and invite him. Where are we going?”

She decided to text Alex right then. “Hey, you busy tonight?” Within seconds, Sara texted back.

“How does my house sound? Come over around 6 and we can do dinner.”

Right after Sara texted back, so did Alex. “I do now. What are we doing?”

Bree texted Alex back and told him that they were going to Sara's and she would pick him up around 5:30.

It was already 3:00. Bree decided to take a shower before she went out. She walked into the bathroom, took off her clothes and slid into the shower. The water felt exhilarating as it cascaded down her head and back. She finally finished and turned the water off. She climbed out of the shower and wrapped a towel around her. She cleared a spot in the mirror and looked at herself. She imagined Alex behind her with his arms around her and his breath warm on her neck. She smiled and realized she couldn't wait to see him again.

She dried off and walked back into her bedroom. She grabbed a pair of light straight-leg jeans, a bra and underwear, a light green tank top and a light blue long sleeved shirt. She got dressed and walked back to the bathroom to blow dry her hair. She then straightened her hair and put it into two loose braids with her bangs swooping over her forehead. After putting on some blush and eye liner, and walked back to her room. It was only 4:30. Crap. She still had an hour before she even needed to be at Alex's house.

She grabbed her phone and a pair of socks and walked downstairs. She walked into the living room and sat on the couch. She reached for the remote and turned the television on. Too bad there was nothing on at all.

She decided to text Alex to see if she could go and hang at his house for a while before they needed to go to Sara's. He texted back within a minute. “Yeah, sure. No one's here. Come on over.” She closed her phone and slipped it back into her pocket.

Bree turned off the television and walked back to the front door. She slipped on the shoes she had worn all day, grabbed her bag, locked the door and walked to her car. She slipped into the driver's seat, put the car into gear and drove to Alex's.

It didn't take her long at all to get to his house. She just couldn't wait to see him again. She drove into his driveway and parked the car. She left her bag in the car and walked to his front door. She knocked and he was there to answer it in seconds. He opened the door and pulled her into his arms. “Hey,” he said as he grabbed her hand and led her inside.

Alex led her into the living room. He sat down on the over-sized arm chair and patted the spot next to him. “Come sit with me, Bree.” She walked over and sat next to him. She repositioned herself and got comfortable, resting her head on his chest. He kissed the top of her head. “Mmm,” he said. “You smell so good.” She smiled and rubbed her hand up and down his chest.

The two lay there for a few minutes until Bree sat up. “Hey, can I use your computer for a second?”

“Yeah, sure.” He got up and led her into the office. He sat down at the desk and moved the mouse around. The computer was already on. Bree sat down and signed into Myspace. Tyler was supposed to have sent her a message about something he got in his 'Truth Box', but he hadn't.

“Alright, I'm all set.”

“Okay, let me check mine.” Alex sat down at the computer and signed into his account. The page loaded and it said 'New Messages'. “Hmm, that's weird. I never get messages.” He clicked the link.

'One New Message from Jamie Ryan'.