I Meant What I Said

Who's Kelley?

“Why is Jamie messaging you? He doesn't even know you.” Bree was confused. What did Jamie have to say to Alex?

Alex clicked on the link to open his message. He read it out loud to Bree. “Don't you dare hurt Bree, ever. She's too lovestruck to think straight. Neither of you know what's going to happen. But DON'T YOU DARE HURT HER!”

Bree was furious. Jamie, of all people, had no right to step into her life and say this to Alex, especially when he had been treating her so well. Alex looked at Bree, whose face was turning red. “What do I say back? I don't even friggen know this kid.”

Alex waited a second before he wrote back. “Oh wow, what's lover boy gonna do? I'm not going to hurt her, ever. And what would you even try if I did?”

Bree leaned down and kissed him. “I'm so sorry,” she said. “I never expected him to do anything like this.”

“Don't worry about it. He's an asshole. He's just realizing he gave up the best thing in the world.” Alex stood up and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed the top of her head and just held her. He then kissed her, his lips smooth against her chapstick, and her legs turned to jelly. She walked back into the living room and pushed him onto the couch. She then sat on top of him with her legs on either side of him.

She pressed herself into him and kissed him. He grabbed the back of her neck and pulled her closer to him. She felt his hands on her back. They were all of a sudden under her shirt. She pulled away for a second and gave him a look as to say “not here”. He kept his hands on her back but he leaned forward to get closer to her.

Bree felt his cell phone vibrate against the side of her leg. She pulled away from his kiss. “You're phone's going off,” she said.

He leaned forward to kiss her again. “Don't worry about it.”

She smiled. “You can answer it. It's cool.” She moved her leg away from his pocket so he could get it. He opened his phone. 'One Missed Call'. He clicked to see who it was.

“Oh, it's just Kelley. Don't worry about it.” He put the phone on the couch and grabbed Bree again to kiss her.

She finally was able to pull away. “Who's Kelley?” she asked, curious.

“A girl from Maryland. Friggen obsessed with me. That's why I'm not answering it.” Bree felt a pang of jealousy hit her. Was Kelley one of the girls he slept with? No, never mind. It wasn't her business.

She leaned in to kiss him again and felt the phone vibrating on the couch. Alex grunted and reached over to get his phone. 'New Text Message'. “God, she never gets the hint,” he said. He looked at his phone. “Go away!” he yelled at it. He opened her text message and Bree was able to read it.

“Alex, you never answer me anymore. Call me. Please. XOXO.” Alex hit the button to delete the message. He noticed the look on Bree's face.

“Don't worry about it, Bree.” The look didn't go away. “She's just a girl from back home. She doesn't mean anything. Relax.” He put his hand on the back of her neck and she looked away. She wasn't ready to be second-best to him.

“Okay,” she said. She didn't really want to push it with him. She rolled off of him and sat next to him.

“Bree?”

“We should probably go to Sara's soon.”

“Are you okay?” His voice sounded nervous.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” Lie. She was jealous, and she wasn't a jealous person, especially not of someone she didn't even know.

She got up and started walking towards the door. Alex grabbed his phone and ran after her. He wrapped his arms around her waist. He wouldn't let her go, even though she fought him. He turned her around so she was facing him. “Bree.” Her stomach dropped. She was being ridiculous and she knew it, too. “Talk to me,” he said.

“Who's Kelley?”

“She's a girl from back home. I told you that.”

“Yeah, but, oh I don't know. Forget about it.” His arms were still around her though.

“Kelley,” he said, “Was never my girlfriend. We had a thing right before I left but I broke it off. There's no point of being in a relationship when one of you is in Maryland and the other is in Rhode Island.”

“Do you still have feelings for her?”

“Oh, no.” He said. “I never really did. It was more of a, uh, physical thing, rather than emotional.” Great. Man whore.

“Okay. Yeah, okay.” She felt relieved, but it still sucked. “Can we go to Sara's now?”

“Are you still mad at me?” He said with the cutest face. Her legs felt weak and her stomach was in knots.

“No,” she said, defeated.

The two walked out to Bree's car. She drove to Sara's house without saying a word to him. She drove into the driveway, parked the car and walked to the front door. She didn't even look back at Alex to see if he was coming. Between him and Kelley and the stunt Jamie pulled, she really just needed to see Sara.

She didn't even knock on the door before she walked in; she never did. “Sara!” she yelled. Sara poked her head up from the couch where she and Max were sitting.

“Bree!” she said. “What's up?” She could tell from Bree's face that something was wrong. “Let's go into the kitchen,” she said and Bree followed.

Sara sat on the counter and motioned for Bree to join her. “What's wrong?”

“Boys suck,” she said and laughed a little.

“Which boys?”

“Well, Alex and this girl Kelley hooked up right before he moved here and she was texting and calling him all afternoon but he wouldn't text back. It's so stupid.”

“Bree, you can't get jealous over that. She lives hundreds of miles again. And by the way Alex looks at you, he's not interested in anyone else.” Bree felt a little relieved. Sara always told her exactly what she needed to hear. “And you said 'boys' as in more than one? Who else?”

“Oh, wait until you hear what Jamie did.”

“Oh my gosh, Jamie again?!” Sara sounded pissed. Bree called Alex into the room.

“Sign onto your Myspace,” she said. Alex sat at the computer that was in the kitchen and signed into his account. 'Two New Messages'.

“Wow, I never usually get messages,” he said and laughed. He clicked on the link and his 'inbox' opened up. One of the messages was from Kelley, go figure, and the other was from Jamie.

“Click on the one from Jamie,” Bree said. Alex did.

He read it out loud. “I don't stoop to your level even though I could easily crush you. I have better tricks up my sleeve. I'll just wait until she gets hurt by you. Then I'll come in, save the day, and take her back.”

The look on Sara's face was priceless. Max walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. She looked at Alex. “What are you going to say back?” Bree felt her stomach drop. Why were they fighting like this? And over her? Jamie already knew how she felt about him.

What type of situation would she be out into if they got into a fight at school and then she was dragged in to the principal's office? Who would she choose? Her ex who she used to be head over heels for or the boy she was almost sleeping with? Oh great.