I Meant What I Said

I Haven't Asked Anyone

Before she knew it, Bree was driving to the Dunkin Donut's drive through on her way to getting herself a hot chocolate and a small latte something that Sara had said she wanted. She drove up and ordered, then drove a little farther, got her drinks and paid. Then it was off to school.

Bree pulled into her parking spot and parked the car. She grabbed her phone and disconnected her iPod before reaching into the back seat and grabbing her bag. Sara followed closely. As they walked across the parking lot, Bree decided to ask Sara why she had put so much of an effort into looking nice today. Sara answered, “Oh, it's Max.” She smiled and continued, “It's our 6 month today.” Sara looked at Bree with a big smile.

“Oh my gosh, Sara! Why didn't you say something earlier? I would have made you some cupcakes or something!” Bree was sincere in her words. Sara and Max were meant for each other. They were inseparable. Bree found it hard to believe that they had been together for half a year already. She remembered when had Sara invited Max to hang out with them for the first time, it seemed like it was just yesterday.

The girls made it into the school by the time the first bell rang. They now had a little less than 5 minutes to make it across the school and down the stairs to their government class. Bree dreaded going to this class. She and Sara had it together, which was lucky, but the class also had Callie, Bree's other best friend, Max, Jamie and Chase, as well as Tyler and Anna.

Bree took her seat next to Anna. Chase was sitting two seats away from her and he smiled when he realized she was that close. Bree didn't have anything against Chase, he just wasn't her favorite person. Just about two seconds before the bell rang to indicate the start of first block, Jamie ran into class and sat next to Chase.

Unfortunately for Bree, this was right beside her, too. Bree felt Sara nudge her elbow against her ribs and she shot her a nasty look. Bree whispered, “Why does he still sit next to me?” Sara shook her head as if she didn't know and Bree was frustrated.

Bree sat there, confused. Why had she left Jamie talk her into signing up for the all the same classes? She couldn't remember. The teacher, Mr. MacAlbee was running late this morning. Bree decided to text Tyler, who was sitting across the classroom. She had been friends with him since they were in the same class together in the 6th grade. He always had her back, no matter what happened.

“Hey Ty. Psyched for homecoming?” Homecoming was in 3 weeks, but Bree and Sara had been planning their night since the summer.

He texted back pretty quick. “Yeah! I can't wait. Are you going with anyone?”

Bree felt her heart drop. Was he asking her? No. He couldn't possibly be asking her. She looked at the blank 'reply' screen at her phone. She felt Jamie looking at her. Jamie had asked her to go to homecoming three weeks before things went bad, but homecoming was a distant thought at that time. She replied, “No, probably just Sara. You?”

She looked at Tyler as he opened his phone. He smiled. She saw him type in something and close his phone, and smile again. She felt her phone vibrate. “I haven't asked anyone. I think I'm going to though.” Bree smiled. As she was about to text back, Mr. MacAlbee walked in.

“Mornin' class. Sorry I'm late. Got to love traffic.” He smiled, laughing at himself. The rest of the class dragged on, painfully slow. Bree couldn't wait for the bell to ring, signaling the end of class.

Finally, 45 minutes later, the bell signaled the end of block 1 and time for breakfast. Bree gathered her things and started to walk out. Sara had said she needed to talk to Max and not to wait up for her. Just as Bree started to walk out, she felt someone touch her shoulder.

She turned around to see Jamie facing her. “Bree, we need to talk.”