I Meant What I Said

Do You Remember That?

Bree woke up the next morning wrapped in Alex's arms. She wasn't tired this morning, a major change to the week before. Alex must have felt her moving. He leaned moved closer to her and kissed her forehead. “Morning, beautiful. How'd you sleep?”

She smiled at him. He looked so cute with bed head. “Great, really great. Your bed is so comfy.”

“I love it. Were you warm enough? I was hoping you were going to be with just a t-shirt and boxers.”

“Yeah, it was great. Your comforter kept me nice and warm.” He pulled her into his arms. She just fit.

“You're so beautiful, you know that? Really breathtaking.”

Bree tried not to laugh. “Alex, I probably look like hell.”

He shook his head and his goofy smile came onto his face. “Not at all. You're the most beautiful girl in the world.” Bree got butterflies in her stomach. She was so happy with him. She was thinking of asking him to make it official between them, but she didn't want to rush it and scare it away. She must have had the biggest smile on her face and he must have seen it.

He smiled back. “I have a great idea. I'm going to make you breakfast and bring it up here.” Bree was so happy. How'd she even find this boy? He jumped up, found a pair of his sweats and slid them on over his boxers. “I'll be back in like twenty minutes. Stay here.”

Bree watched Alex disappear out of the room and walk down the stairs. She reached around for her phone and found it. She hit the speed dial for Sara. Pick up, pick up, I need you, pick up, pick up, she thought as the phone rang. “Hello?”

“Sara. I need to talk to you.”

“Bree? Why are you calling me? It's only, oh, it's ten. Alright, I'm listening.” Bree laughed. She knew better than to wake Sara up early on a Saturday.

“I think I told Alex I loved him last night.” Bree's stomach was in knots. She didn't remember whether she had said it to him or not.

“You did what?” Sara suddenly sounded more awake.

“I don't know. We were in bed and it was so perfect and I think I said it.”

“Oh, wow. That's, wow, Bree. Do you mean it?”

“Yes, no, I don't know, I think so. I don't even know what I was thinking. I was so tired and he was taking such good care of me.”

“Wow, Bree. Well, congrats?” Sara sounded confused.

“I don't want to scare him away, Sara. He's making breakfast for me right now. Want to hear something crazy, though?”

“Sure, couldn't be crazier than you telling him you loved him.”

“I think he said it back.” Bree heard Sara gasp over the phone.

“He did?” Her voice had a sense of enthusiasm in it.

“I think so. I think he looked at me, kissed me and said 'I think I love you, too'. How crazy is all of this?”

“Wait, so what made you say you loved him? Just like heat of the moment?”

“Yeah, somewhat. And Jamie's been around recently and just thinking about him, I get all nostalgic and it's so hard. Harder than you would ever even guess to hear Jamie saying he misses me and that he can't go through high school without me.”

“When did Jamie say all of this?!”

“Oh, that's right. Sorry. Yeah, yesterday I was sitting on the couch with Alex, but he was sleeping, and Jamie was texting me.”

“Wow, what was he saying? Stupid shit?”

“Yeah, well he was saying 'I miss you so much' and 'I'm sorry' and 'I never hated you' and even 'I want us to be friends'. Yeah, it was crazy, and I just realized how much I don't have any feelings towards him, at all. Not even a little anymore. I'm finally over him.”

“That's so great, Bree! We should go out tonight or you should come here. We haven't had girl time in a long time!”

“Girl time? Seriously, Sara? Are you like a 90 year old woman now?” Bree heard Sara laughing.

“Hey, don't make fun of me. Come over tonight. I'll make you cheese quesadillas.” Those were Sara's specialty. She was a vegetarian so obviously there wasn't going to be chicken in them.

“Alright, yeah I'll talk to my mom and see what she says and then come over. They probably love that I'm out of their hair for a while.”

“Sounds good to me.” Bree smiled. Sara was always there, always. “But hey, Max just woke up, so I'm going to go chill with him. Talk to you later.” Click. End of conversation.

Bree heard Alex coming up the stairs. “I have breakfast for you. Sit up, sit up!” He walked over and placed the tray in the space between him and her. It was a really nice looking breakfast. Scrambled eggs and home fries. Even some bacon. And of course orange juice. “I hope you don't mind I didn't make any coffee. I'm not really a fan.”

Bree looked at Alex and smiled.

“What?” he said, curious.

“I hate coffee.” She laughed. “Where did I find you boy?” She leaned over and kissed him.

Alex picked up the tray and put it on the table next to the bed. He pulled her into his arms. “Oh, I don't know.” He smiled at her. More butterflies. “Hey, uh, I have a question.” He pulled her closer. “So when we were talking last night... do you remember that?”

Shit. “Uh, yeah, I do. Why?”

“Well, do you remember what you said?”

“I think so. Look, I'm really sorry. It's just that you treat me so well and everything that's been happening and...” She didn't get to finish before Alex rolled on top of her and kissed her, so deeply she felt herself melting into the bed.

He pulled up and smiled. “And do you remember what I said back?”

She smiled. He was okay with this. She breathed a sigh of relief. “That you thought you loved me, too.” He kissed her again.

“Alright good. I don't think I could create that moment ever again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
157 readers and 12 subscribers.
thanks<3

sorry, there's not much to this. the real-life Jamie has been giving me a run for my money lately. he always seems to have something new to say to throw off my life.

questions/comments?
talk to me :]
i love hearing from youu.