I Meant What I Said

All Over... Again

“We need to talk.” Bree hated hearing that from Jamie. “We need to talk” usually never ended well for Bree. She always ended up apologizing for something and letting him back into her life. Bree flashed back to when Jamie first asked her out.

“I was just thinking about asking your pretty little face out.” Bree was shocked. Was he actually asking her this? She just wanted to be with him since she met him freshman year. She couldn't believe this was happening.

Bree looked at Jamie and turned bright red. She smiled at him and laughed. “Jamie? Are you... serious?”

Jamie smiled at her. “Yes, I am. I'm not asking you yet, but I will be. It's going to be perfect when I ask you.”

Jamie had invited Bree back to his house after school. He didn't think his aunt would mind driving her; she had always liked Bree. At 3:30, Jamie got a text from his phone. “My aunt's here. Ready to go?”

Bree was still shocked. She was in total disbelief that Jamie wanted to be with her. They both grabbed their bags and started to head out. It was a long hallway before they could actually get to the door that led to the parking lot.

As they started walking along, Bree could feel Jamie looking at her. The butterflies she had in her stomach were as big as houses. He reached over and grabbed her hand and pulled her back. She looked at him, confused. “Why are we stopping?” Jamie just looked at her with a big smile. “Jamie?”

Jamie turned around so he was facing her. He dropped his bags and she followed, not knowing why. He looked her in the eyes and moved closer. She felt his lips press against hers and she felt as if she was flying. His kiss was perfect, better than anything before. He looked her in the eyes and smiled and pulled her into his arms. “Bree, I want to be with you, more than you know. Be my girlfriend?”

Bree still felt like she was flying. She just thought about how great this could really be. Bree and Jamie. This could work. Bree reached forward and kissed Jamie again. “Yes, okay, yes! I'll be your girlfriend!” Jamie pulled Bree into his arms again and kissed her. She never wanted it to stop.


“Okay. We can talk. Is lunch okay?” Bree didn't want to talk to Jamie. What else did they even have to say to each other?

“Yeah. Lunch. Okay. I'll come find you.” Jamie walked away. Bree stood next to the senior lockers, stunned. Talk? He wanted to talk? Now she had to give up her lunch to hear what he had to say. She decided she needed to go talk to Sara.

Walking through the halls to find the junior hallway, Bree's mind was going a million miles an hour. They hadn't talked much since that night. She had said so much to him that she was surprised he even talked to her. He said things, too, so she didn't feel completely guilty.

Some things couldn't be taken back.

Bree finally found Sara next to her locker, locked in a make out fest with Max. Great. “Sara.” Bree waited a moment. “Sara.” Another. “Sara?” Bree was fed up. She reached over and pulled Sara away from Max. “Sara! I need to talk to you.” She had tears in her eyes. She had promised herself that she wouldn't let Jamie get to her. Not anymore.

Sara turned and looked at Bree. She saw the tears running down her best friend's face. Max looked at Bree and pulled her into a hug. Sara joined. The three of them had always been close and Bree was comforted by the two of them.

“Bree, honey, what happened? Are you okay?” Sara tried everything she could to get Bree to spill. “Bree, talk to me. What happened?”

Bree was crying completely now. She promised herself she wouldn't do this. Jamie wasn't worth it. Sara tried again. “Bree, was it Jamie? Did he do something?”

Max looked angry. “Bree, I swear, if he did something I'll...” Bree cut him off.

“No, no, no. It's, he didn't do anything. He just said he wanted to talk. I never thought he'd want to talk to me again, and here I am, scared to death that he actually wants to talk again. I don't understand this, I just don't. Why can't he just leave me alone?”

Sara looked at her best friend who was hurt, once again, by the boy she had fallen so hard for. “Bree, it's going to be okay. You can get through this.” Bree looked at Sara.

She thought to herself, “If he wants to talk, we can talk. But he's the one who asked to talk.”