I Meant What I Said

You Did Not

Bree was trying to hold back her emotions. Every time she was even the least bit happy with her life, Jamie did something to mess it all up. He always had something to talk about or something to say or he did something that just pushed her closer and closer to the edge. There was always something.

She just wanted to enjoy her time with Alex. She was still surprised that she had met him just a few hours earlier. “Our chemistry is kerosene.” Bree had been singing “Noel” all day long, just waiting to get to know Alex a little better.

She and Alex finally made it to the entrance to the auditorium. She got a text from Sara telling her to meet them in the front. Bree grabbed Alex's hand and moshed her way through people to get to Sara. Finally, she made it. Sara and Max were next to each other, smiling and giggling about something. “Ahem. Sorry to interrupt, but this is Alex.”

Sara smiled at Bree and she blushed. “Alex, nice to meet you. Uh, I'm Sara and this is Max.” Bree walked over and sat next to Sara with Alex sitting right next to her. They both sat down and crossed their legs. Bree leaned over to say something to Sara and she felt Alex gently kicking her foot with his. She smiled.

The principal walked to the front of the auditorium. He grabbed the microphone that was sitting on the stage. “Students. Settle down now, y'hear? I need your attention.” Everyone finally settled down. “I am here to explain to you why you were all called out of class so suddenly. I'm 'fraid there's some bad news.” Alex slid his hand over and put it on Bree's knee. Sara nudged Bree's arm. “The administration has just been informed that one of the school's main water lines has burst out in the street. The basement of the school is beginning to flood.”

Sara looked at Bree. “This school as a basement?” she said in shock.

The principal continued. “To ensure safety of all students and faculty, we will be dismissing all students at this time.” A wave of cheers was sent across the auditorium.

Max looked over at Bree and smiled. He whispered, “So much for talking to Jamie today.” Bree felt as if a weight had been shifted off her shoulders.

The four of them stood up and started making their way to the parking lot. Alex looked at Bree and smiled, then wrapped his arm around here shoulder. Bree smiled back. “Hey, Alex, want to come chill with us?” Alex nodded. Bree then yelled to Sara and Max. “Hey guys! How's Friendly's sound?”

They all walked to Bree's car. Alex yelled “shotgun!” before Sara was able to. She and Max climbed into the back seat and Alex got into the front. Bree slid herself into the driver's seat and got herself situated. She put her phone into the center cup holder and plugged her iPod in. Alex asked if he was allowed to do music. “Only if you don't pick bad music!” Sara yelled from the back seat.

Bree put the keys into the ignition and waited for the people around her to back out so she could leave. While waiting, she reached over and put her phone on loud. She could never hear it on vibrate when she was driving. Alex played around with her iPod for a little while and finally chose All Time Low. Before she knew it, Mr. Gaskarth was singing through her speakers. “Think about it 'til anticipation makes you shake and we both lose control.” Bree sang along.

She was finally able to pull out of the parking lot and get on the road that led back to town. She was just driving by the town hall when she heard her phone going off. “Sara, mind grabbing that for me?” Sara picked up her phone and looked at it.

“Bree.” Sara got serious. “It's a text from Jamie.”

“Oh my god!” Bree said as she hit her hands against the steering wheel. Alex sent her a reassuring smile. “What does he want?”

Sara read the text message out loud. “Hey babe. Where'd you go? I thought we were going to talk...” Sara made sure to say the 'dot dot dot' out loud. She continued, “I don't know where you went. Let me know. I'll come over later.”

Bree hit her hands against the steering wheel again. “My god! Sara! What does he have to talk about that's just so freaking important?”

Alex looked at Bree, unsure of what to say or how to react. Bree looked in her rear-view mirror at Sara. “Can you write back for me?” Sara nodded. “Okay, put 'I left with Sara, Max and Alex. What's so important?' and send it for me please?” Sara nodded and put the phone in her laugh. Max laughed.

Bree looked over at Alex. “Alex, I'm really sorry about this. It's just that Jamie doesn't give up, ever, and it just gets to me.” Alex smiled at her and put his hand on her leg. It reminded her of when Jamie did the same thing earlier, only when Alex did it, it gave her butterflies.

“Bree, do you mind if I asked what happened? I mean, there seems to be a lot of history between you guys.”

She was unsure of how to answer him. She just met the kid, did she really want to tell him her whole life story? Bree knew she took a minute too long to answer when Sara decided to answer.

“Well. They met freshman year and Bree was all into him, but Jamie's a player. We all warned her he was. But anyways. They had this whole little thing then he did something stupid and they didn't talk the entire sumer.” Sara stopped to catch her breath. “Then at the beginning of sophomore year, he asked her out and she said yes, obviously. She was head over heels for the kid. Then they were together for a while, and I mean they were together every second of every day for a while. Then Jamie said those three magic words.” Bree's heart dropped as she heard Sara say that. “Yeah, so they were in love. And they were gross in love, too. Always all over each other, like 'I love you' only made them stronger. And they were together for a while too, like what, 6 or 7 months, and then,” Bree hadn't realized she was holding her breath. Sara still had more to say. “And then, they slept together.”

“You did not sleep with him, did you Bree?” Max was shocked. He didn't know this. Why didn't he know this?

Sara still had more to say. “Yeah they slept together. Like a lot. They were always sleeping together. She always had some type of story to tell me about it. Oh, and then like right before their 10 month anniversary, he broke up with her, completely out of no where.”

Bree felt herself breathe out heavily. “Sara, I am going to kill you.”