I Meant What I Said

Those Goofy Butterflies

Bree pulled up to a gas station to refuel her car. She drove up to a pump, parked her car, and took the keys out. “Sara, mind helping me for a second. Now.” There was an urgency to her voice. She and Sara both got out of the car and walked into the gas station. They walked up to the clerk and asked for fifteen dollars on pump 6. The girls them walked back outside and stood at the gas pump. Bree looked at Sara.
Sara noticed Bree was upset. “Bree?”

“Sara, why did you have to bring that up? You were one of the only people that knew. Why did you do it?”

“Bree, relax. It's not a big deal. Max won't say anything and Alex is like a lovesick puppy with the way he looks at you. It's not going to change anything.” Bree held her breath and finished filling up her gas tank. The two girls got back in the car. Bree had tears in her eyes. The four of the drove the rest of the way to Friendly's without saying anything. They pulled into the parking lot and Sara and Max got out. Sara looked at Bree. “I'll go get us a table, okay?” Alex stayed in the car with Bree for a few minutes.

“Bree, are you okay?”

“Alex, look. I know we just met and now you know everything there is to know about me, basically. I understand everything. I still really want to get to know you.” The tears in Bree's eyes were flowing now. She reached over to Alex and put her head on his shoulder. He ran his fingers though her hair and wiped the tears out of her eyes. “Bree, you can talk to me. What happened between you and Jamie?”

Bree felt his warm hand on the back of her neck, comforting her. “I loved him. We were in love. People who are in love sleep together, right? I don't know. I expected that it would make us stronger and it did, for a while. But I loved him, that's why this is so hard. But he broke my heart, the boy I was in love with broke my heart.” Bree stopped to wipe the tears out of her eyes. She lifted her head up and looked at Alex. “Look, Alex, I understand if you want to run away right now. I can just forget all of this, all of today. I understand.”

She looked at Alex and saw him smile. She got butterflies. Before she knew it, he leaned over and kissed her. His kiss was like nothing she had ever felt before. Even with Jamie, his kisses never felt like Alex's.

They both got out of the car and walked into Friendly's. Alex grabbed her hand like he had been doing it his whole life. Sara and Max had saved them a table so they walked over and joined them. They ordered and ate and stayed at Friendly's for a good 2 hours and then walked around the mall before Max announced that he had to be at work at 4. Bree checked her phone and it was already 3:15. They walked back out to the car and got in. It took them half an hour to get to Max's job. He kissed Sara, thanked Bree for the ride and walked into work.

Sara looked at Bree. “What now?”

Bree smiled. “Well, we could go back to my house and chill or,” Bree paused for a second and continued, “Yeah, I have no other ideas.”

“I'm good for going back to your house.” Sara moved to the middle seat in the back and stuck her head up into the space between the two front seats. “Alex, you want to come?” Alex looked at Bree, waiting for her to accept. She nodded at him and he smiled at Sara.

“My house it is then!” Bree drove back to her town. She turned up here street and drove my the many houses to get to the top of the hill where her house sat.

Alex looked at her, amazed. “Bree, these are not houses. These are mansions!” Bree laughed at him. They reached the top of the hill and pulled into her driveway. She hit the button to open her garage, drove in and parked. They got out of the car and walked into the door that opened into the kitchen. Bree threw her things in the cubbies her mom ordered when the twins went to preschool.

She walked farther into the house, stopping in the hallway that housed the stairs, as well as the door for the living room. “Mom! I'm home. Lucas! Jacob! Anyone here?” Bree waited and heard nothing. She walked back into the kitchen where Sara had already gotten herself a bottle of water and a snack. Bree offered that Alex could go through her cabinets and get what he wanted, and he did without another thought.

Bree walked around the kitchen and over to the fridge. There was a note from her mother on it. “Hi honey. I took the boys to get winter jackets. I left money for dinner on the counter. We should be home around 8. Have a good afternoon. Love you, Mom.” Bree smiled. She had the house to herself for another 4 hours.

She walked out of the kitchen, motioning for Alex and Sara to follow her. She led them into the living room. Alex's jaw dropped. There were plush carpets and couches that would fit everyone he knew, a flat screen TV that was bigger than anything he had seen before and a fire place encased with granite. He was completely stunned at what he saw.

Bree threw herself onto the love seat and it completely engulfed her. Sara said she needed to go upstairs to change into some sweats. She always wore Bree's clothes, it didn't even bother Bree anymore.

Alex walked over to Bree and sat next to her. The chair was so plush that if actually made him fall on top of Bree. Bree stood up so he could reposition himself. Once he did, she fell back into his arms. She just fit. He looked down at her and kissed her forehead.

Sara walked back into the room. “Oh, hey, I didn't mean to interrupt. I, yeah, uh, I was just going to tell you that my mom's here. So, Bree, I'll text you later.” Sara smiled her goofy smile and walked back out. She yelled from the hallway, “Oh, Bree? Don't do anything I wouldn't do.” Bree threw a pillow at the wall next to the doorway Sara had just exited through.

Bree and Alex just sat in the chair and cuddled for a few minutes. Out of nowhere, Alex kissed the side of Bree's neck. She sat up and moved herself around so she was sitting on his lap. She ran her fingers through his hair and he smiled at her. He wrapped his arm around her waist as her shirt rode up a little in the back. She pulled herself closer to him and felt his breath against her lips. He put his hand on the back of her neck, pulling her closer to him. He pressed his lips against hers, pushing them together. He ran his hands through her hair and down her back. He moved her shirt up and ran his hands over her bare back. She deepened the kiss, running her tongue over his bottom lip. He ran his hands up farther while hers moved to the bottom of his shirt. She lifted up his shirt, moving herself away to take him shirt off. He did the same, leaving her only in her tank top.

Every time she pulled away from one kiss, she would feel his breath on her lips, begging her for more. She felt more and more connected to him with every kiss. She ran his hands over his chest and up his neck until his face was in her hands. He smiled at her, giving her the goofy butterflies. She felt a sense of urgency rush over her, pressing herself into him even more. He ran his hands up under her tank top, pulling it over her head with one swift move.

So there she was, sitting on top of the most gorgeous AND shirtless boy in just her jeans and a bra. What had gotten into her? She was never like this. He pulled her into another kiss, his hands running up her now-bare stomach. He slid his hands down her stomach to her waistline. He started messing with the button on her jeans. She froze.

“Alex, we can't do this.”