Status: Next chapter is 1/2 complete.

When Reality and Fantasy Collide

Chapter 2

"So anyway," Cassandra said as she chewed on some sushi made in the time she could have been studying, "do you think your parents will let us borrow the trailer during the holidays? I mean, they never use it. It'd be awesome if we could all go on a road trip together sometime!"

Max swallowed nervously. "Let's wait until you turn sixteen and get a driver's license. I do not want to be in a vehicle exchanging driving shifts with Emily, you know what happens when she's at the wheel."

"Oh come on!" I defended my driving skills, "I'm not that bad, am I?"

"Sorry sweetie," Cass replied, "but going eighty miles an hour in a forty zone would be classified as worse than a dying goldfish flopping around on the controls of a tow truck lugging five tons of bricks."

"Can't argue with that," Max agreed.

I highly doubted my mother would let me out of sight unless there was a so-called responsible adult with us. She didn't even trust me in bumper cars in amusement parks, probably because my twisted genetics had given me a crazy love for fast driving. Not my fault, but it was my problem. Luckily there were no speed limits up in the sky...although they really should put some on those blasted metal flying contraptions. Griffins weren't the fastest of creatures in the air, due to having the rear end of a lion, but it didn't mean I liked being outstripped by machines. They were fun to race though, until some annoying kiddie sticks looks out of the window and tells his mommy that there's some crazy winged girl in her pyjamas zooming by at thirty thousand feet.

I sighed. "Look, I'll ask them, but I'm not promising anything. Why don't you two just take the trailer and find someone else to go with you?"

"We can't do that!" Cassie nearly shouted. "You're my best friend, it wouldn't be fun without you!"

"And I'm refusing to leave without another sane person." Max's comment made Cass bristle.
"What's that supposed to mean?" she snapped, not sounding too angry.

The redhead rolled his eyes as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Cassie, all you ever talk about is makeup, boys, clothes, boys, accessories, boys, gossip, boys, parties, boys, choir, and did I mention boys? That kind of stuff doesn't really interest me."

She glowered. "You're oversimplifying everything, my life doesn't completely revolve around – ooh, he's cute!" Her mood changed quickly as she pointed to a passing senior.

I don't think she heard Max mutter something that sounded suspiciously like "I rest my case."

It turned out that the said senior was actually approaching, contrary to just passing by. The sunlight reflected blindingly off his sunglasses, meaning I didn't have a clue as to his identity until he was right in front of us. Turns out he was Jeremy Blacksmith, as in that dude Max hung around for a while after the whole family fiasco. Yeah, he abandoned his soccer game and jogged over.

"Hey Max-" he began, but was cut off when the addressee threw a set of keys in his face.

"Thanks, man, the landlady wanted it back and was kind of hounding me." He turned to resume his game but paused and turned around. "Joe told me he's got another stash to put in your locker. Oh, and nice going yesterday, Emily." He stated to me before rejoining his friends.

"Shut up, you bastard!" I shouted after him.

Jeremy turned briefly just to waggle is finger at me in mock disapproval. "Didn't your daddy teach you to be politically correct? Don’t use words if you don't know what they mean."
I fumed in anger, how dare he remind me of that! Yesterday's Debate Team meeting had been a complete and absolute disaster. I really did not need to be embarrassed further about the unfortunate incident.

Cass patted me on the back sympathetically. "Just ignore the ugly loser," she told me, and a good thing too because I was this close to shoving that soccer ball up Jeremy's nose. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he would have lived (probably); I would never do anything I wouldn't want to explain to paramedics. Especially not in front of Coach Blacksmith, who coincidentally also happened to be Jeremy's dad.

"Weren't you saying only three seconds ago that he was cute?"

"Being mean is ugly." And to think Cass said Max oversimplified everything.

See, it all started when the chosen discussion topic was on the existence of mythical creatures. The pure irony was astounding, since me an' the team were supposed to argue against it. To sum everything up, everyone now thinks I'm some crazy freaky girl who still believes in fairies, which is not a rep you wanna have in High School.

"Oh! Oh!" Cassie had some huge news to share with us no doubt. "Didn't you hear about what's happening? There are these really hot guys foreign guys coming over to our school!" she shrieked.

Both of us stared at her, confused, before Max decided to break the silence and ask, "Are you talking about those guys from the sister school overseas?"

"Yep, that's them!" she squealed.

"What's to say that they're hot?" I asked.

"Well duh, that school has military training as one of their electives. They're coming over here you know, by boat!"

I glanced at Max. "This true?"

He shrugged in response. "Militia Grande Boys Academy-" he began.

"-the very school of hotness!" Cassie was beside herself with glee.

"Are you going to let me finish or what? Anyway, they're doing some practical course and making a pit stop over here to get supplies, since there's only so much you can cram onto a boat."

"They're coming to our school!" Cass insisted.

"They're doing a brief memorial for St. Freeman, the founder of our so-called 'Educational Institution,'" Max corrected, and Cass' face fell slightly.

I tried to console her. "They aren't the kind of people you'd want to associate with, those boys all have the worst reputations."

"I know!" Coming from her, it almost sounded like a good thing. I sighed.
I grabbed my PE kit from my locker as the bell rang, heading off towards the bathrooms near the gym. Since it was February, the teachers let us wear the track pants over our shorts. At least, until we got warmed up enough and took them off. Boy was I gonna be tired after today, there was Track Practice right after this.

Stupid me for signing up for it, now I'd be too exhausted to fly!

Then again, a good night's rest would probably do me the world of good, especially when trying to keep up with someone as enthusiastic as Cassie. Last time I went to her house we ended up dancing to some of the most fast-paced music I have ever heard. Somehow a video got onto the internet and everyone at school would start singing Dance Dance by Fall Out Boy or some other song that Cassie loved so much every flipping time we walked by! How that got on the net is anyone's guess, although that freaky old dude living next door to Cass seemed suspicious. I always thought he was a bit stalker-ish.

Turns out I had been wrong to get changed for PE. The teacher forgot to mention that it would be a theory lesson, not a practical, so I ended up trudging into class a little late.

Maybe I would have enough energy for a midnight flight after all...

No! My body's internal clock was practically screaming at me to sleep, but what better time to do it than during this lesson? I'd already heard all this garble about relationships, choices, or whatever from my mother.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot something. I grabbed a small dictionary off the shelf behind me and flicked through the pages.

Bastard (noun): An illegitimate child born of wedlock or unmarried parents.

Gee, seems Jeremy was right after all. He wasn't a bastard, in the technical sense. Well, excuse me for being a little sheltered. Not like my parents go around educating me on that kinda stuff.

I crossed my arms across the desk over the ER hearts MM graffiti that some loser had engraved with scissors and allowed my arms to nestle between them. Ah, what sweet relief for my poor eyes.

Woah, woah, woah, hold it right there! ER and MM? That had better not be standing for Emily Robertson and Maximillian McField! I know just who scratched that into the wood too. Jeremy. He just loved picking on people, despite having been quite hospitable to Max. That was probably just a lapse of sanity though.

But I don't care about how nice he's been to Max. When I'm through with him there had better be a medic on hand quick-smart!

I angrily grabbed the whiteout from my backpack, and began the tedious process of covering up the doodle. The markings were deep, and I had to wait for each layer to dry before I could apply another. It reminded me of trying to apply nail polish, the stupid stuff.
Honestly, I have never, under any circumstances, thought of Max in that way. I mean, he's one of my closest confidants, my unofficial spy into the realm of boys. Kind of like the brother I never had, so it's safe to say I have no feelings of romantic nature towards Maximillian McField. End of story.

I've had about zilch experience in the boy department, except as platonic friends. Who needs all the fuss anyway? I'm not like Cass, the school's drama hound who changes crushes as often as socks. Why she was hanging around me of all people was a complete mystery. She just plopped herself into the seat next to me when she transferred from Hawaii and we've been joined at the hip since.

The rest of the lesson, after I had cleared off that ghastly scribble, was spent passing notes with Brooke. Well, not really passing notes, since our TI-84 calculators could actually type whatever we wanted. Plus the messages were easily to delete in a hurry if a teacher walked by. My days of swallowing paper to avoid incrimination are over!

Class was thankfully interrupted when the music teacher, Mr. Elliot, came in to deliver a message or something. I've finally figured out why Ms. Shmit, and all other female teachers in the school for that matter, is always super nice to Cassie and not me. It's obvious they want to impress Mr. Elliot, since Cass is his prize student. Ick.

Well, I guess Mister J. Elliot isn't so bad looking, in a late thirties kind of way. I mean, at least he's not balding (much), got good teeth, quite fit and...ew! Why am I even thinking about my teacher like this? That's totally disgusting!

"Miss Robertson! Would you please mind telling the class why you are hitting yourself with a textbook?" Seems dear Ms. Shmit's managed to retract her common sense at just the right moment.

"...It helps me remember the subject material?" I offered up.

"Nice try, but that's not going to cut it in my class." Dang, why did that darned music teacher have to leave? Ms. Shmit's always in such a better mood when she's too busy being gooey-eyed over him to care about her students' torture regime.

The frizzy haired teacher before me cleared her throat. "James – Mr. Elliot, has informed me that all afterschool meetings are cancelled due to torrential rain. That is all. Go back to your work." I could have sworn I saw her sending me an especially nasty glare.

I slumped in my seat. There would be no Track today, and conditions would not be the best for flying either. Really, the schools were such wimps, just a little rain and they go panic making a mountain out of a molehill. What the hell was up with the weather around here? I could swear it just loved to plot against me.

Our wonderful Health teacher had returned to her normal self. By the monotones way she was talking you'd think she was a politician. Or my father. Yawn. Yawn, yawn, and yawn.

"Psst, Brooke, can you pass me that piece of paper?" asked Colt the Dolt as he poked her with his pen. Confused, she did just that. "Thanks," he said, not bothering to explain himself.

Our queries were soon answered as Ms. Shmit turned her back to us. There was a loud phut sound, and a large wad of soggy paper hit her on the back of the neck.
"Score!" yelled Colt, proud of his spit-ball launching abilities.

"The only thing you've scored young man is another week's worth of detention!"

Somehow he didn't seem fazed by the punishment, "Oh yeah! All alone after school with Ms. Shmit! Awesome!" he continued, making a hand sign more commonly seen at rock concerts.

"I will be speaking to your parents about this," was the snippy reply, "and if I hear another peep from any of you it will be two demerit points on your record."

The rest of the lesson continued in silence. Well, it seemed that Colt and his buddies were taking it in turns to make loud coughing sounds, and poor little Amy Fredricks who was sitting in the corner constantly blowing her nose copped the evil glares.

It was raining camels and tigers when we were let out, 'cause cats and dogs are old news. The only thing that could have rivalled the storm would probably have been my temper as I stomped out of the building. That place was so artificial and the air was about as welcoming as Ms. Shmit.

I didn't wait for anyone else. As soon as I hit the road I took of running, wind rushing through my hair and whooshing past my ears. I shook my head as lightning flashed, laughing crazily as my sneakers splashed in newly formed puddles. My socks were soaked and blisters were beginning to form, but I only pumped my legs and arms harder, opening my lungs and moving even faster. The thunder rumbled but I couldn't hear it. I was almost flying...I needed to be flying...

My house passed in a blur, but I kept moving forwards. I was soaring across the terrain like I did in the sky. I was free and unbound. Where I was going didn't matter, just so long as the rush never ended.

Left, left, right, left, right, right, and straight ahead. It didn't matter; there was no plan, no pattern. It was a cold mid-February afternoon, but my entire body was burning. I was chilled to the bone, but my muscles were on fire. I knew I had to stop before my body gave way.
I sat myself down on a nearby bench put in place for lazy tourists and looked around. Seems I've managed to get on some hiking path Max is quite fond of. But despite having flown over it a few times, I've never actually had a good look. Too many trees. Besides, it was far too much fun gliding around people-watching at 2 in the morning guessing who had been where doing what.

The rain had stopped, but the cold was beginning to get to me. Trying my best to wring out my sodden clothes and ponytail, I hoisted my backpack over my shoulder and decided to wander my way back home.

A spider darted across my shoe, and I leaped back to kick it off and distance myself from it as much as possible. I don't like spiders, which is one of the reasons I don't like hiking in these parts because of them. You know they're there, but you just can't see them. And if you do manage to locate one of those terrible eight legged critters, you're sure to end up walking into their webby traps.

I fell over oh-so-gracefully into a pile of nettles; what an incredibly lucky girl I am. Those little buggers sting like you wouldn't believe! I think Cass or someone told me that dock leaves grow near my stinging buddies, and are good treatments for it.

Hanging a left at a leafless tree (not very good at botany, everything looks the same from above), I found myself walking across sand, not dirt. Weird.

Turns out there's a little secluded beach right in the middle of nowhere. Neat, huh? It's very private and all, and I'm pretty sure it's not artificial. Maybe it belongs to someone? Nah, it's not like anyone would even know about this place except for Emily the Explorer. Waves were crashing against the shore loudly, and the chilly wind picked up again, whipping around my ankles. But I couldn't believe that I now had a beach all to myself, and made a note to come back later for a little exploration.

Oh, wait. Scratch that last. I'm not alone.

There's a girl walking up ahead, singing to quietly. Her blonde hair was blown across her face, so I couldn't see who she was at this distance. She showed no signs of being cold, despite only wearing a two-piece swimsuit. The girl glanced around, and seeing no one, lifted a sea-green mask held in her left hand, and placed it over her face.

Still singing, the girl waded out into the water until she was waste deep in the salty liquid. She raised her arms above her head, and then dove under.

Five seconds. Five minutes.

She hadn't resurfaced.

Now I was beginning to panic, what if she'd been caught in a rip current and drowned? What if she'd been caught on something and couldn't come up again? I had to do something!

Carefully, I walked across the beach, scanning my eyes over the water. The icy waters lapped against my ankles, which was as far out as I dared venture. I wasn't much of a swimmer, and wouldn't stand a chance if the current was too strong.

Something wrapped around my leg, and I looked down in surprise. The girl's swimsuit had apparently been discarded and had been washed up. Great, now I was looking for a probably drowned skinny dipper who decided to go for a dip in bloody February.

Now, I've got absolutely nothing against swimming, but the only place you'd catch me flailing about (I may have strong legs, but my form is lousy) would be in a heated pool. Luckily, Cass' favorite hangout in fact was said place, so there wasn't too much trouble with that weird fake beach a two hour drive from here. Maybe I should show her this secret little area, I'm sure she'd like it.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I asked. Stupid question really, I knew what I saw.

There was a giggle and a splash, and I jerked my head to my left. Nothing was there. A strange garbled tune sounded around me, and I searched left and right for the source. There was still nothing.

Seriously, I could be going mental here. I knew craziness must run in the family! Now I was going to end up like Auntie Myrtle who sat in a nursing home all day drooling and peeing in her pants. What a fantastic future to look forward to.

A ripple to my right, and bubbles rose at the source of that haunting melody. There was a flash of arms and scales, and whatever it was dove deep under the water.

I waited on the beach for what felt like years, although it was probably only a couple hours. The strange masked girl had had a human torso but no legs but with a sparkling blue tail where they should have been. She was human when she entered the water. Human when she put on the mask.

But from what I had seen just then, that girl certainly wasn’t human.

I walked home in a daze, still baffled by what I had seen. It all made sense, but I couldn’t comprehend it. I wasn't even feeling the cold as I flopped down on my bed in wet clothes, not even bothering to get changed or eat dinner.

"Emily, you're late and soaking wet!" My mother looked in on me, but I didn't hear her. "What have you been doing, young lady?" Getting no answer, she sighed resignedly before throwing a towel at me, grumbling about how the water would make the floorboards rise.

All of this seemed so far away, it all passed by in a blur. I was far too in shock at one important realization that I couldn't focus on anything else.

I wasn't alone.