Six Days, Sixteen Hours

loud

Loud music and maybe a little too much to drink.

Erin swayed and grabbed hold of the back of the sofa. She gulped,her head was spinning. She put a hand to her head and covered her eyes, "fuck these parties," she thought. She felt a little steadier so she stood up straight and lolled her head back, feeling the loud music vibrate through her, and people shuffling past.

She started dacing again,but it was more like jerking. She hated this life. She hated that her only two friends had let her go alone to this damn party, believing her lie that she'd go with someone called jack. Why didn't they see through her? Why didn't they see that all she wanted to do was get high to try and stifle the emptiness inside her. Erin regretted her lie, she wished there was someone here with her now..the drink was just making things worse, she felt worse than ever.

She tried to adjust her moves, but she didn't have the strength to concentrate, her head felt heavy, and soon she was just swaying,her eyes half closed.

Then she felt a hand touch her waist. She frowned and tried to move it off, still swaying unsteadily.

"Hey sunshine.." whispered someone in her ear. Erin opened her mouth but couldn't answer back, her head was pounding too much. "D'you want a drink?" he grinned. Erin didn't even know what she was doing,she felt the bottles rim pressed against her lips. It was like a dream, nothing felt real. She knocked it back and spluttered a bit. "that's it, it's good stuff, drink it down.." she heard him say. Erin took another swig, then wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.She couldn't really tell, her head was spinning again, but she was quite sure that there was another guy next to her now..it felt as if they were pushing her , leading her out of there, but maybe she was just imagining it..she could hear someone laughing through all the noise, through the pounding of her head..she closed her eyes,she couldn't take it anymore, and then everything went black.

***

"Hey,watch it,," Frank frowned as a guy bumped into him. The guy just grunted and held a girl round the waist. She looked pale, almost in pain, strands of dark hair stuck to her forhead. Frank watched him as he half carried the girl out, another man,obviously a friend took her arm as she stumbled drunkily. Frank turned away, and looked round the room. It was dark, just a two dimn lamps set in the corners of the living room. A table had been knocked over, a glass smashed and something had spilled in the process,the lightbulb reflected in it. There must of been about a dozen people there, mostly couples, some leaning in corners, others lying on the sofa or in one of the armchairs. Smoke hung in the air. It all made him sick. He grabbed his jacket off a stool and headed out. He got out a cigarette and lit it, watching the white smoke spiralling up in the air. It was much more silent out there,but the beat of the music could still be heard.

He heard a shuffle and he turned his head. There were some figures moving near the corner of the house, but it was too dark to see. There was a moan, which sounded like a half cry. Frank moved silently closer. One of the figures laughed softly. "She out?" it said. "Out cold. Open the car." answered the other one. Frank recognised them now, the two men and the sick girl. But there was something not right. Dread ran through him. One of the men opened the car door and the other climbed in with the girl in his arms. There was a thump and some shuffling, "keep watch." he said. "shit," said Frank under his breath. He threw his cigarette into the road and quickly walked to the car.

"Is that girl ok?" he asked. The man turned suddenly and stared at him. "I saw her inside..she didn't look good.."

The man took a step towards him. "Mind yer own fucking business, shortass." Frank stuck his tongue in his cheek and smiled at him. "Get her out." he said calmly. The man just laughed at him.

"I said get her out. Or I'll call someone."

"I don't think.."

But the man didn't finish, a blow struck his jaw and he stumbled backwards against the wall. Frank rubbed his hand, then turned to the car. He swung the door open..and dread rushed through him once more as he saw what he expected. The girl lay across the back seats,evidently unconscious. Her jeans had been slipped off and the guy sat over her.

"Get the fuck away from her." growled frank.

The man just stared at him.

"get out of here, and I won't call the cops."

the man slid off the seats. "ok ok..stay cool..it was just a bit of fun.." he said, stepping out of the car. Frank grabbed the guys arm and shoved him away.

"hey hey.." the guy said holding his hands up. Frank took a sudden step back,he was going to get beaten up by these two..what had he been thinking?

But he glanced at a group of kids heading home that were lingering just outside the house,and the two men glanced over. They seemed to relax slightly,and thought better of it. Frank turned to the car and picked up the girl,carefully carrying her out into the car park. He glared at the two men, and jerked his head towards the car. "Now get out of here."

One of them turned to the car and got in, turning the engine on and the stereo on full volume. The other stepped closer to Frank and looked down into his eyes. "It doesn't end here." he whispered. Then he turned and climbed into the car. Frank watched them drive off,his heart beating fast. He look down at the girl in his arms. She had smooth fair skin, and dark blonde hair that hung around her face. Frank smiled, then turned and walked towards his car.