Six Days, Sixteen Hours

epilogue

EPILOGUE:

Fank watched the doors slide open, and stepped onto the platform. People trotted past him, getting on and off, talking on phones, lost in their own thoughts, looking at their watches, rummaging in bags.He headed for the way out, passing through the barrier, down the corridor and into the sunlight. out on the pavement.More people, rushing around, taking no notice of others. Frank looked helplessly around, trying to find something he'd recognize. Then he saw it, that restaurant, the place where they'd first talked properly,where he'd really gotten to know her..he headed for it, checking his own watch..just gone five. He was relatively on time. He stepped into the place and nodded at the man behind the counter, and ordered himself a coffee. He sat down at the same small table they'd sat at that night, to watch the people go by on the street. His coffee came, and he checked the time again. 10 minutes had gone by. Erin was always late though.. he thought. He watched the rushing crowd and slowly drank. The coffe was hot,and slipped down his throat..he waited. He fidgeted. He felt nervous now. Just the prospect of seeing her again made him feel quite cold with nervoussness..and expectation..he waited some more and checked his watch. Another 10 minutes. This wasn't right. He jumped suddenly. His phone was buzzing in his pocket. He quickly slipped it out,his hands slipping a bit. His heart jumped. He quickly answered.

"Hey..where are you?"

There was a silence. And a sniff.

"I can't do it,Frank." Erin croaked into the phone. She sat on her bed, tears burning down her cheeks. She had thought about it all these months,but she'd broken now..

Frank sat with his mouth slightly open, trying to process what she'd just said.

"You can't do what?"

"I can't do this.." her voice broke. "I can't. I'm sorry."

There was a short silence. Erin indrew breath for a moment, then took the phone from her ear and pressed the red button. She gazed at the screen for a few moments,then it dissapeared behind tears. In a sudden rage she hurled the phone across her room. It cracked on the floor and lay in pieces. She covered her face with her hands, and smeared her wet fingers across her cheeks. She ran a hand over the bump that now rose from her stomach, and felt a small kick..maybe it knew what she had just done.

The tone beeped in Franks ear. but he didn't move. He couldn't believe this. He had waited so long..

too long..

but he'd carry on waiting.