Six Days, Sixteen Hours

encounters

Erin ran her fingers through her hair and looked up at the big white hotel in the dimn, cloudy morning sunlight. She sighed. She'd tried Gee's apartment, she'd asked the neighbours..nothing. Before leaving she'd looked up gigs in the area..they weren't even supposed to be here.
She pushed the glass doors open, and stepped towards the man behind the counter. He peered over his glasses at her, looking up from the register in front of him.
She cleared her throat.
"Hum, excuse me, I wonder if you can help me?"
The man had white hair, and a superior manner. He obviously didn't think much of her plaids and hoodie.
"Of course,miss. What can I do for you?"
"I was looking for a Frank Iero. Is he staying here."
"One moment please," The man raised a finger and leaned to pick up a black folder. Erin tapped her finger nervously on the counter as he leafd through it.
What if he really was here? What was she even going to say? Argh, wait for the spur of the moment.
"I'm afraid mr. Iero has not returned to the Hotel since the beginning of November,miss."
Erin nodded and chewed her lip. Right. Where now?
"Ok, um, cheers." She turned and left, walking once more along the cold pavement. Christ, they could be anywhere..think girl,think.
So they had finished their tour, that didn't mean they didn't still have the bloody great bus thing, right? She remembered an area for camping trailers and such, near a park..
She climbed into the car, and drove straight to it.
She had felt a dull dissapointment at having seen no tour busses anywhere near the park.
This was frustrating. She opened the car door anyway, and walked slowly past the shrubberies and what nots that decorated the area. Erin slumped onto a wooden bench and ran her hands over eyes..she let out a shaky sigh and slipped a box out of her pocket. She rolled up her sleeve and peeled the paper off the plaster. With one firm gesture she slapped it on her arm, rubbing it slightly.
"I see at least someone's making the effort."
Erin whipped round at the sound of the male voice, and found herself beaming.
"Gee!" she squealed slightly; Gee was walking slowly towards the bench grinning back, and held his arms out towards her. She had to do a double-take getting up from the bench, but finally managed to wrap her arms around him.
"I'm so glad to see you.." She smiled, pulling away. Gee guided her by the elbow back to the bench.
"Yeah, me too sweetness, now sit down, I hear you're walking for two now."
Erin stroked her bump, and felt slightly ashamed. "Frank told you? Ryan said he..um, passed by last night."
"So did I. Glad you're giving up on the smoking," he gestured to where the nicotine plaster was on her arm, "Someone still hasn't bothered."
"yeah well, had to didn't I?"
Gee smiled simpathetically. "Erin, when did you find out?"
She hesitated a moment, "couple of weeks after you'd left."
"You really should of let us know, I mean, at least Frank."
"I..had my reasons."
"I'm sure he'd love to hear them."
She looked up at him. "Where is he?"
Gee pointed through the trees behind them, "Place on the corner, Hotel something, big pink thing.."
Erin grinned, "thanks for the detailed description. I was looking for the bus.."
"Oh, that's parked behind. I think it's number..oh hell, ask at reception." He rolled his eyes, pulling out a packet and placing a cigarette between his lips.
Erin kissed his cheek, "Thanks Gee..I'll see you later, for sure."
"Later, hun." he mumbled, lighting the fag.
She found the 'big pink something hotel' easily enough, and found out the room number also easily. A nervous knot in her stomach had now grown. She still had no idea how this would go.
"Should I warn-" the receptionist started, his hand already on the phone.
"No, no..he, err, I've already warned him." Erin interrupted.
The man raised an eyebrow but moved his hand from the phone and carried on writing something in a big folder. Erin turned and decided the lift was best, walking was getting tiring. She watched the doors slide open and stepped in, pressing the floor fourth button and then proceeded to adjust herself in the mirrored wall of the lift. She knew she certainly had looked better: her hair was slightly tufty, even in it's shoulder-lenghtness. She tried to flatten down her fringe, and ran her hand down the side of her face. There were feeble dark stains under her eyes she hadn't really noticed. The doors slid open and she found herself walking out into a carpeted floored corridor. A slight tug in her somach, she walked along looking for the right number..
And there it was. The light brown door somewhat imposing in it's shiny newness to her..
She rubbed her hands together nervously, and knocked.
She waited, and then thumping footsteps drew closer and with a click the door opened ajar.
Frank's frowning face turned suddenly taken a-back, and he took a step backwards so he could open the door completely. After a few moments a small self-satisfied smile took his lips, and he leant against the door frame.
"Now, where have I seen this scene before.."
Erin returned the smile. "dejà-vu,eh?"
He nodded, but his eyes softened and his smile seemed almost a sad one.
"Can I come in?" She asked.
"Sure." Frank stepped back.
Erin shuffled slightly into the room and took in the soft floor and the white walls. They were obviously in the bedroom, with a large white framed window letting in the grey light.
She turned towards him and they stood for a few moments looking at each other.
Erin took a breath, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the...baby.." she trailed off, waiting for him to say something.
Frank said nothing, just looked back at her.
She continued, "I thought it was best,I did it for you.."
"for me?" he spat, he sounded suddenly bitter.
"I felt that you didn't need obligations.."
"Erin, I don't have a choice.."
"Exactly..I didn't want you to feel forced into anything."
"But don't you understand I had the right to know?"
"But you're on tour, and you have a band, and a life, back in America.."
"Is that why? you thought you'd be ruining my life?"
"Oh admit it, I was a one stand for you, an adventure, a-"
"What the-"
"Why should you have given up all that for a fling?"
"A fling? you think what we had was a fling? I think this is all becoming more important than that."
"Yes, and if you hadn't known you'd be back in New Jersey, having the time of your life like you're supposed to, not here looking after your pregnant one-off!" She felt the tears rising. How could he not understand she was doing him a favour? She had entered his life simply and unscathing it, she wanted to exit it the same way..
"It's my kid, damnit! How could I not care?!" He shouted back.
A ringing silence followed. She wiped her teary cheek with the back of her hand, determined not to let him change her mind. She breathed and tried to continue calmly, but found herself gasping.
"It was..my fault..I asked you..I begged you..I shouldn't have..we shouldn't have.."
she breathed again, and managed to keep her voice steadier. "when I found out I felt so..guilty. We should of been more careful..I knew straight away I had to tell you though..I mean..for the reasons you've already stated.."
Frank clenched his jaw slightly.
She continued, "..so I called you..and you know, it went good..but last week I just got cold feet," she wiped another tear off with her hand, "You never asked for this to happen."
Frank took a step closer to her, "some things are just meant to happen." he whispered.
Erin nodded. They stood in silence for a few moments longer. She finally stumbled to the bed and sat on its edge with her face in her hands. She felt the side plunge under Frank's weight as he sat beside her.
He ran his fingers through the strand of hair that lay across her shoulders. "I want to be here." he whispered again.
"You know I don't want you to."
"Your bad. I'm going to be here. For good, if I have to..there's nothing for me back home."
Erin slipped her hand from her face and rested them rigidly on either side of her, propping herself up. "But your band -"
"I'd be gone for some monthg touring yes, but I'll be back."
Erin forced a weak smile. Frank's hand smoothed her cheek and then gently dropped. They looked at eachother in silence again.
"Do you know what I thought this was about?" he said.
"What?" she whispered.
"The whole you not telling me you were..pregnant," he hesitated a bit on the last word, "I thought maybe it was because seeing me would remind you of..July."
She moved,crossing her legs on the bed, "It does..but in a good way."
Frank nodded, "How 'bout Val?
"Val is Val. She's tough."
Frank crossed his legs on the bed too. They sat opposite eachother for a few moments. Erin gave a sudden twitch, and looked down. She looked up to see Frank's eyes wide.
"he..moved? already?"
Erin smiled and took his hand, she placed it above her navel. "I'm getting quite big," she whispered. "it happened for the first time last week.."
And Frank's heart leapt as he felt the small movement underneath his fingers.