Six Days, Sixteen Hours

names

they lay on the bed for a while,until frank offered to take her out.
"You must be starving, eating for two and all that."
She grinned and let herself be helped up by the hands. Frank locked the door behind them and they both walked down the carpeted corridor and stepped into the lift. Erin pressed the floor button, and they waited. They stood beside eachother, and looked at their reflection in the mirror that covered the back of the lift. Frank stood slightly taller, his skin a paler color than hers, but with a greyish tinge. Maybe it was just the contrast with his hair in black tufts..his lips looked dark and rough against the paleness. Erins stomach rose forwards from the normal frame of her body, making her shoulders lean backwards slightly, her hair caressing them slightly in it's untidiness. As Frank took in her appearance his eyes trvelled down her sleeved arms, to her fine white fingers which hung loosely by her side. He hesitated, and moved his hand towards-
but with a bling the lift doors slid open, and oblivious to Franks gesture, Erin stepped out first.
They headed out into the street, which was already getting dark in the wintery afternoon. They walked slowly alongside the road, and Erin stated,
"Curry."
"Curry? I thought you hated curry."
"I do. I mean how is eating something that hurts and burns your mouth enjoyable?"
Frank rolled his eyes, erin ignored him.
"Anyway, now I feel like curry. And big papadums."
Frank impatiently pulled her into the indian place by the hand. They sat at a small table and she sat smiling,satisfied.
"You ever had this stuff before?" she asked scanning the menu.
"I don't like it."
she looked up, "you don't? why are we in here,then?"
"'cos you wanted to.." he shrugged.
Erin frowned, but he shook his head in response. The waitress came and took their order. Frank played with the toothpicks.
"Do you know what the sex is..?" he asked out of the blue.
She nodded, "It's a boy."
Frank sat for a few moments in silence, turning the splintered toothpick in his fingers and lost in thought.
"Have you picked a name?" he asked.
"No..you can help me with that. As long as it's nothing that ends with 'junior'."
He grinned impishly, "oh,what a shame, I was going for Frankie Junior."
"You wish." she smiled.
The plate of papadums was set in front of them.
"Papadum," stated Frank.
"I was thinking more Masala." she grinned.
"Napkin."
"Jellybean."
"Poptart."
"Cupcake."
"Now be fair," scrunched Frank, "you can't call your little son Cupcake. Your just asking for his life to be hell."
"You know what, Poptart isn't exactly macho."
They smirked at eachother and finished eating the papadums, by which time the waitress had brought over the rice and chicken and masala.
They ate and talked more about names, and meanings, by the end of the evening they still hadn't managed to settle on something.
Once they'd finished and payed they headed out into the street again, which was now cold and dark and only few cars passed by in the light of the glowing streetlamps. They wandered across the road and into the park where Erin had sat that morning. A cold breeze blew through the trees and there was only the sound of people on the pavement and the scrunching of their footsteps on the gravel, when a lonely guitarist started strumming something on the other side of the park. The noise was carried by the breeze, and the soft chords created a dreamy atmosphere.
Frank's rough fingers felt their way through hers, "May I..?" he whispered.
She rolled her eyes at the overly sweet, almost cheesy request. They stopped and he snaked an arm around her waist as she placed hers on his side, and they swayed.
"This is..weird," she whispered, not knowing how else to put it.
He chuckled and leant his head beside hers. The voice of the guitarist sang, muffled by the distance, through the trees. They could catch some words,
"..suddenly the air smells much greener now
and i'm wandering around with a half pack of cigarettes
searching for the change that I lost somehow.."
More voices joined in on the chorus, the group must be a group of friends..Erin was sure she'd heard the song before..
Frank let the hand in which he held hers fall down, and he linked it around her waist with his other one. He moved backwards slightly so he could look her in the eyes. It was dark, but the nearest streetlamp gave their pale faces a light enough to see each others features, and their eyes caught it's glow..
They continued swaying gently, and Frank moved his face nearer so their noses were almost touching. With butterflies Erin wondered wether she should close the gap, but before she could his body twisted around hers and he placed his lips below her ear..he worked on her soft bare skin, inhaling and lazily kissing down to her tender throat..
She shivered slightly, "It tickles.." she whispered in a smile,
Frank hesitated,hovering above her skin..
"..but it's nice.." she hastily added. She felt him smile against her neck.
He drew himself back and he took her by the hand,
"we're not done,are we?" her tone had a concerned pitch.
He took her to the nearest bench where he sat, and pulled her onto his lap. "Nope," he whispered,
"Good," she whispered back, "'cos I was just getting into that."