Six Days, Sixteen Hours

snow

The front door clicked open.
Erin slowly stepped in, first time back home after three agonizing days. Val kept close behind, her arm around Erin's waist. She turned and snapped the door shut behind them. They both sunk onto the sofa.
Val turned to her,
"You don't have to come tomorrow, I'll understand."
Erin shook her head, "No, It's fine. Frank says it'll be a distraction, and he's right. I've sent him off to pick up his suit.."
"Just as long as you're good with it."
"I'm good."
Val smiled weakly. She got up and went into the kitchen. Erin sat staring blankly and listened to the water pour into the kettle, and the click and 'woomf' of the gas flame catching. She didn't come back through, instead she waited for the water to whistle shrilly, and with a clink of china and the tinkle of teaspoons stirring the milk she finished making the tea. Val came back through and handed one to her friend, then sat down beside her again. They drank in an empty silence.
"I'm sorry, " whispered Erin finally.
Val set her cup down hurredly and frowned, "You've got nothing to be sorry of,"
At that moment the front door opened and Frank and Ryan came in, carrying shopping bags.
"Hey, " They grinned. Val smiled back, but Erin sat staring at her mug. Frank stepped round and kneeled in front of her, taking her hands in his. She didn't move.
Ryan fidgeted at the door, and finally cleared his voice, "Um well, me and Val better get going. We've got rehersals and stuff.."
Val hastily agreed and joined him at the door. They exchanged 'see you laters' and left, leaving more silence behind.
"Hey look," Frank turned and got the paper bag, and handed it to her. She half heartedly took it, and pulled out a milky nutmeg colored dress. She held it up: it was strapless, and a series of thin chocolate ribbons ran around the waist. The material layered and ran just below her knees. She smiled hand folded her arms around his shoulders, "thankyou, it's lovely."
"It goes with your hair," he whispered back. He didn't need to voice the reason she would need a new dress for the wedding.
***
The wedding would be the usual old thing, Frank and Erin agreed.They'd go for the afterparty, Val and Ryan would understand.
It was being held in a cluster of barnhouses just outside the city. The air was cold and the night was dark, but the old houses glowed yellow and gold, adorned with strings of fairy lights and some lanterns hanging from the windowsills. There was a small courtyard between the buildings, old and cobbled, with a row of stalls where the animals were once kept. They both walked past them, to the main doors where music was flowing. Frank pushed the door open for her and she stepped in. The room was extremely warm compared to the biting cold outside: it looked warm too. The stone walls had all been plastered cream, more fairylights hang on the beams, against the walls the tables for the wedding dinner had been pushed up, so that the floor was free of obstructions. Exept maybe for Gee head banging to Chris de Burgh. Close by Ryan and Val danced slowly, oblivious to all others, including michael trying to drag Gee away. Erin vanished in several sets of arms as she was glomped by wedding guests.
"You came!"
"My god!"
Val heard, and turned to join the hug. Frank recognized the girl from the other morning, but her dark hair was now straight, and looked somehow longer. With her was another girl with olive skin and deep curls that fell in locks around her face. He was happy to see Erin was grinning back. She then turned to him,
"Frank this is, uh, Victoria, I think you've already met," Victoria made a small curtsey.
"and Ellis, she's Ryan's sister," The curly haired girl smiled widely and waved. They were both dressed in turquoise bridesmaid dresses. Val had now engulfed Erin in a hug and was whispering something in her ear, so he turned to contemplate Gee and his wild dancing.
"D'you know that guy?" smiled Ellis, raising her eyebrows.
"Yeah." he laughed.
"Is he always that insane?"
"You've seen nothing. On tour he used to run around naked covered in cream. Unfortunately the cream was usually in the wrong places."
She laughed, "You know, I thought I'd seen you before! Your band is big, right? We were probably at the same festivals, I usually tag along with my brother."
"probably. I'm afraid I don't have a good memory for faces."
Just then something collided with such force he stumbled back into the doors, which opened. He found himself hitting the stone courtyard very hard, with Gees big face staring down into his.
"buddy!" he smelled heavily of alcohol.
"Yeah, Gee, could you get off me, now?"
Gee laughed and rolled onto his back, still laughing. Michaels hand grabbed Frank's and dragged him up.
"He's a gonner," michael said, rolling his eyes.
"I feel sorry for the bride and groom."
"Nah, they're cool with it. A long as he doesn't brake too much stuff.."
They watched him lumber back into the room. "Come on, let's get something to drink," they headed back inside. Frank looked around for Erin, but there were too many people on the dancefloor to see through the crowd. Michael got them a couple of rum'n'cokes, which made Frank feel as if he was at a sweet sixteen party. They sat on some whicker chairs, along with Bob and some other friends of Ryan. Frank was only half aware of what they were all talking about, keeping his eyes open for Erin who was still off somewhere in the glowing crowd. He mumbled agreement now and then to whatever a heavily fringed guy was complaining about. He caught words now and then, 'society' and 'mainstream' and 'individuality' seemed to be the main concepts. Time seemed to float by along with the dreamy music, which then became thick with beats.
"Hey man," michael shook Frank's shoulder.
"Mhhm?" he looked round. Everyone seemed to have drifted onto the dancefloor, or maybe as far as possible from the moany guy.
"I'm off to check on Gee. You comig?"
"Uh, no, I'll go look for Erin."
Micheal nodded and dissapeared. Frank stood up and wondered where to start, he pushed his way through the hopping,jumping people. He recognized a few people who all slapped him on the back, but it felt like he was just walking round in circles, lost in the crowded barn. Finally a dancing figure whose curls shook with movement came to his rescue,
"Frank!" Ellis shouted over the music,
"Hey, you seen Erin?" he shouted back,
"She was looking for you!" that wasn't much help.
"Oh, okay cool, thanks." He continued pushing his way through the bodies, until a small warm hand grabbed his. Her lips were against his ear,
"It's snowing," Erin smiled. Frank sighed with relief, and brushed her layered hair from her eyes. "Come on," she mouthed, and turned dragging him towards the doors. She pushed them open and they stumbled out into the cold air. "snow," she whispered again. And sure enough white flakes spun from the black sky all around them. She drew his arms around her shoulders, and shivered against his chest. They both gazed up above them, at the snow that fell,and fell,and fell.