Mistakens Happen

Two

--
“Angel, do you wanna go to the shop with daddy, or go to the store with me?”
“Go with you” she said playing with her Barbie. I drove to the store and helped her out of her car seat.
“Now, Angel you need to be good for mommy okay?”
“Otay” she said smiling. I put her in a basket and pushed it in the store headed for the dried fettuccini noodles.
“Okay Angel, I need your help. Do you think you can help me?” She nodded quickly.
“What should mommy put in the seafood alfredo tonight?”
“Shrimp!” she yelled causing people to look my direction.
“Angel, inside voices” I scolded her. Her eyes welded up with tears and she frowned. “Nooo, no, no, no Angel, don’t cry baby. I didn’t mean to yell” That didn’t stop her tears from free falling. “If you stop I’ll get ice-cream” he tears almost automatically stopped and she smiled. I realized she just cried on purpose.
“Ms. R?” I heard a voice say behind me. I turned around and came face to face with Joe.
“Hey Joe”
“Hey Ms. R and who is this cutie?” Evangeline giggled.
“Tell him your name love”
“I’m Evangeline” She said shyly.
“Can I call you Evie?” she nodded.
“That’s what daddy calls me”
“So Joe, what are you doing here?”
“I’m shopping with my mom, you?”
“Shopping for dinner”
“And ice-cream!” Angel said excitedly.
“And ice-cream” I repeated.
“What kind of ice cream are you gonna get Evie?” She put on her thinking face.
“She’s getting something sugar free. She’s diabetic, as am I. Isn’t that right Evie?”
“Yep, I’m just like mommy”
“Well I gotta get back to my mom”
“Where is she?” I asked curiously.
“Seafood section”
“Well that’s where I’m heading, so I’ll go with you” We walked over in a comfortable silence.
“Mom” Joe said to a lady with her back turned. When she turned around I instantly knew who it was.
“Mom this is-”
“Katelyn, good to see you again” Denise said cutting him off.
“You too Denise” I replied. Joe looked lost.
“Wait you two know each other?”
“Yeah, I ran into her a few times before, here and there”
“How do you know her Joseph?”
“She’s my music teacher mom, and that’s her daughter” Denise looked into my back, staring at Evangeline.
“And who is this?”
This is Evangeline.” I said stressing the word ‘this’.
“This is her?”
I nodded. Denise was close to tears, her hand gently placed over her mom, staring at her grand daughter in astonishment. Joe, boy, Joe was as confused as ever.
“Mom, why does it look like you are about to cry?” Denise shook her head.
“No reason, it was great to she you again Katelyn. And nice to meet you Evangeline”
“It was great to meet you too” Evangeline said smiling to the lady, having no idea that that was her grandma.
“It was great seeing you, but I need to get stuff for dinner and ice-cream.”
“I need to finish too, Joseph, go get 2 tomatoes please” he nodded.
“Bye Ms. R”
“Bye Joe, bye Denise”
“Bye” Evangeline said waving.

--
When I got home I put the bags in the kitchen.
“Kevin?”
“In the room” I heard him respond.
“Evie go to your dad” She ran off, as I put the groceries away. I grabbed a skillet and two pots. One pot, I made the alfredo sauce, using tons of milk. The other pot I cooked the noodles. In the skillet I lightly greased it and put scallops and shrimp in it, sautéing them. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist.
“Smells delicious” he whispered.
“Good to know” When the shrimp and scallops where done I put them in the sauce, waiting for the noodles. Kevin let me go and when to the fridge.
“Babe why is there ice cream in the fridge?” Crap. I pretend I didn’t hear him.
“Katelyn” I sighed.
“I yelled at Angel and she wouldn’t stop crying so I got it”
“Katie you know you can’t keep letting her get to you. You have to learn to say no”
“Kevin I don’t want to be a harsh parent. I’m just letting her live a little. I know she can’t do a lot of things because of her diabetes, but newsflash I can’t either. And its sugar-free Kev, it’s not going to kill her”
“Okay, sorry. I just worry. And you can’t keep letting Evie con you like that”
“I know. I’ll say no next time. I promise. Now can you please set the table for me?” He nodded kissing first.

--
“Mommy, I’m done, can I but `cused?” I nodded.
“But go wash your hands first” Kevin said and she walked away from the table.
“Guess who I seen at the store?”
“Who?”
“Denise and your brother Joe”
“Really? How did you know he was my brother? What did my mom say? Was she upset?”
“Yes, really. 2ndly, Joe is in one of my classes and he called Denise mom and your mom looked very happy, she almost cried”
“She wasn’t mad?” I shook my head. “I thought she was. I really miss them”
“Why don’t you call your mom? She’ll love to hear from you”
“I actually might”
“Okay, well I need to test me and Angel” He nodded. I started grabbing the dishes but Kevin grabbed them.
“It’s okay, I’ll do it”
“Are you sure?” He nodded. “Thanks”
“No problem.” I walked to my bathroom and got out my kit.
“Angel, come here please” She skipped into the bathroom. “I need to test you” She shook her head quickly.
“Mommy, its ouchie”
“I know baby, but if you do it you get ice cream” She smiled. She stuck out her little finger. When I took the sample she flinched a little.
“See it’s all done” Her sugar was too low, whereas mine was fine. She gets to have chocolate too. “Angel, since your were so good you get chocolate too” She smiled and ran to the kitchen.
“Daddy, daddy, guess what?” he picked her up, as she giggled.
“What princess?”
“Mommy said I get cocoa too” Kevin looked at me.
“Are you serious? I can let the ice cream slide, but chocolate?”
“Hers’ is low Kev” I told. “Do you remember where I put it?” He nodded walking to go get it. I got Angel’s Blue’s Clues bowl (A/N: I have a blue’s clues bowl. I’ve had it since I was 5. Back to the story) and gave her a scoop of sugar-free vanilla ice cream. Kevin came back and handed me chocolate. I put some pieces in her ice cream.
“How you feelin Evie?” Kevin asked.
“Really good daddy” She said smiling, with the spoon in her mouth. Kevin held me by my waist as we watched our daughter enjoy her dessert. Times like these are what keeps me going in life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me a while.

but i updated all my stories..=]
i feel accomplished.